Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times

Advertisements

The mail-in plea bargain option is something I'm not familiar with. When I've gotten speeding tickets in the past, you either pled guilty and paid the set fine, or pled not guilty and went to court, hoping the charges and fine would be reduced (they always were, in my case).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 38,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
The mail-in plea bargain option is something I'm not familiar with. When I've gotten speeding tickets in the past, you either pled guilty and paid the set fine, or pled not guilty and went to court, hoping the charges and fine would be reduced (they always were, in my case).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thanks, bump for any others with experience in upstate courts.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM

25 posts, read 100,505 times
You are sure justifying all the "Long Gie-land"/"downstater" stereotypes with this thread!

Get over yourself, you were doing 84 in a 65, you're an a$$hat, pay your bills and move on. I have no sympathy for "but I'm special!" whiners like this.

Move along- and please STAY on LI from now on if you think that's acceptable driving. Seriously.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

9 posts, read 38,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJbear View Post
You are sure justifying all the "Long Gie-land"/"downstater" stereotypes with this thread!

Get over yourself, you were doing 84 in a 65, you're an a$$hat, pay your bills and move on. I have no sympathy for "but I'm special!" whiners like this.

Move along- and please STAY on LI from now on if you think that's acceptable driving. Seriously.
Is that so? Theres no, im special so treat me differently argument here. Just looking for advise from the hundreds of thousands of people that fight tickets in the same manner. You resort to name calling? Maturity at its finet but thanks for the laugh!

I spoke with an attorney who is confident he will have it reduced to a no point violation. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times
Quote:

84 in a 65? Who says that is unreasonable and not prudent? Perhaps the 65-mph speed limit is inappropriate for the purpose of revenue generation. Perhaps the weather and traffic density were favorable. Just because someone is driving over the speed limit does not mean they are dangerous.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
84 in a 65? Who says that is unreasonable and not prudent? Perhaps the 65-mph speed limit is inappropriate for the purpose of revenue generation. Perhaps the weather and traffic density were favorable. Just because someone is driving over the speed limit does not mean they are dangerous.
Inappropriate for the purpose of revenue generation?? If the speed limit was set very low for a divided highway I might agree but 65mph, I don't think so. Speed limits are set for safety's sake and in most locals there is a degree of leeway that law enforcement allows which the OP clear blew past. Traffic volumes preclude having the "unlimited/very high " types of speed limits that some western locals have adopted.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 PM

OK, so now we've moved on to the next stereotype- call a lawyer! SO, you'd rather give some blowhard your money than just admit you we wrong and move on. THAT makes sense. You're just further showing the lack of personal responsibility and the delusions of infallibility that endear those types to others so much.

74 in a 65 would be one thing- and frankly unless you did something else wrong, it's doubtful that in most places on 17 you'd even get pulled over for 74. But 84 is flagrant. Yes, it -could- be -relatively- safe under some conditions- but that doesn't change the fact that it's both irresponsible, and 20 over the posted limit! And 65 is the NYS state limit, so it's not like you got caught in a spot where it drops to 55 or it's posted unreasonably low. It's posted as high as ANY highway in the state. And you live on LI, which although it may be a foreign country, still falls under the jurisdiction of the same NYS highway laws so it's not like you can play dumb either.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess from your screen name and your lecturing tone that you're probably a member of the NJ law enforcement community. Am I right?

You say that you have no sympathy for "whiners" like the OP. Well I've got no sympathy for people that choose to go into law enforcement, and out of all of the possible directions they could have chosen within that field thought that they are somehow making the world a better place by sitting on their fat ass in a parked patrol car somewhere pointing a radar gun at someone to make sure that they don't exceed the arbitrary speed limit on that particular stretch of road, which may or may not be the maximum safe speed that can be driven there in reality.

Have you ever heard of a book called the "Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets"? It was written by a former New York State Trooper. The author tells people who read the book all about the big egos of people in law enforcement, and how to make sure to stroke their egos should someone be pulled over for speeding. If I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I've read that book), he also acknowledges that speed limits have more to do with bringing in revenue than they do with safety. In a conversation that I had with the retired police chief of a town here in Westchester, he told me the very same thing about red light cameras. This is all about bringing in revenue for cash strapped municipalities, despite all of the clamor about doing it to make the roads safer.

If you spend any reasonable amount of time out on the roads, you know that it's a fact that more people drive ABOVE the posted speed limit now than actually drive the speed limit or below it. Try driving the speed limit on a road like 684 between the Hutchinson River Pkwy and I-84 and see how many cars pass you. If you're driving in the center lane, they'll pass you on both sides!

There are definitely some people out on the roads that drive recklessly: tailgating other drivers or weaving in and out of lanes to get ahead of other drivers while driving at high rates of speed. These types of people, and those that drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs, are the ones that cops should be going after, not someone that is driving 10, 15 or even 20 mph over the speed limit.... if the road conditions (weather and traffic volume) safely allow it.

The OP asked for advice from others with a particular situation, not a lecture about why you think he shouldn't drive over the speed limit. Save your lectures for your kids, if they'll listen to you.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM

manyroads couldn't be further off base in his suppositions. I'll leave it at that. He/she obviously didn't read my most recent post either before going off on the "everybody does it" tangent.

If epic had been pulled over for 74 in a 65, pleaded guilty and paid the ticket and shut up about it, I'd say all's well. It's the immaturity/irresponsibility/denial/"when you know you're wrong, and all else fails, and no one will listen to your lame excuses, sic your lawyer on 'em" aspect that I was responding to.

But hey, if it worked for OJ it should work for Epic, right?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times
I hate revenue generation & law enforcement harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York