Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 AM

107 posts, read 219,603 times

Advertisements

I'm from Clinton originally, it's a very nice little village. I'd say almost a carbon copy of Cooperstown, but without a lake. I always thought Oneida was an alright area growing up. The downtown is a little run down in some areas, but I always thought it was generally a nice area with lots of big beautiful older houses. I couldn't really speak too much to the housing market in Oneida though.

My 2 cents on housing would be to consider Clinton, New Hartford and Whitesboro to be the strongest housing markets close to Hamilton College since they are the nicer suburban towns of the Utica metro, but those are the other way from Syracuse. And they all come along with higher taxes due to the nicer school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,274,820 times
The Thruway?? To get to Clinton??

Upstate is in decline for sure but guessing into the future is always tough. In upstate you will almost aways lose but you might win.

In Oneida learn the North/South side. Stay away from the Northside no matter what. The closer to Rt 5 in the Southside the better. Avoid the locals.

Ill help you with any thing I can.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Should also point out that while I'm not in love with Oneida its upstate NY I hate.

Of the cites upstate I would, and have, pick oneida over any other. Some of the high dollar small towns are nicer for a fact but I'd rather have a smaller/no mortgage. Anything I need from a bigger city is a short drive away and I avoid the crime that goes with living there.

If you must live in NY and don't like crime and being around a lot of people oneida is as good a place as any.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

93,499 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1169 View Post
Canstoga - I'll look into it!!
It's Canastota and it could be a good option. Parts of Oneida could work, as could Sherrill, which has lower energy costs due to NYPA: City of Sherrill Power and Light Home Page

Fracking is most likely going to be in the Southern Tier and you shouldn't have to worry about that. I wouldn't worry about not being able to leave either. There really aren't any "bad" areas in between Utica and Syracuse and any issues are usually minimal in terms of crime.

I agree with syr83's post, as Clinton is very nice, as is New Hartford and the Whitesboro area. Same with his Oneida comment. Sherrill may be the place to look due to the good school district, lower energy costs, the close proximity to Hamilton college and the Thruway in order to get to Syracuse or Utica, close enough to take Route 5 to Syracuse or to Utica and largely safe. It is the smallest city in the state of NY too: City of Sherrill | The Silver City

Here is more on the other Utica-Rome area communities: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

NHhomepage
Village Of New Hartford: Local Businesses: Local Businesses [Digital Towpath]

Village Of Whitesboro: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Town Of Whitestown: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

and for Canastota: Village of Canastota, NY

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM

I'm actually in sherrill now and seen a nice house on the way here.

It's a nice house and 2880 feet but it 300k so I don't know the range we are looking in

Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Here are some listings from Sherrill: Real Estate from Nothnagle Realtors

Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Afew considerations…

Coming from Texas do you like guns?? If so this could be awkward. Your talking about three counties here, Oneida(Clinton), Madison(Oneida) and Onondaga(Syracuse). For guns Madison will be best followed by Oneida and then Ononadaga. A permit issued in any will be good in all.

The roads leading to Clinton are pretty slow roads so for distance you need to think NY not Texas. The Thruway isn't super handy to Clinton. The state roads you will most likely use are ok in the Utica direction and West as far as Oneida. From Oneida to Syracuse they suck. If you look anywhere near Syracuse stay very close to the Thruway cause your already gonna have a long drive from the Westmoreland exit to Clinton.

Do you have a specific reason to need to be in Syracuse?? There really is nothing there so unless you need to be there for a reason you will likely almost never go so I wouldn't plan around it much if at all.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 PM

It also dawns on me that within Oneida I told you to look on the Southside without telling you where that is.

The line in NY 365a. It's called Lennox Ave within the city.

North of that is ghetto.

South of it is ghetto for a few blocks but is largely ok after that. Those house are old and pretty nice. The farther away you get the newer and nicer they get. Your getting into quarter million plus up by 5 but can spend less the closer your willing to get to Lennox. And give up things like central air and modern kitchens.

I've worked in some of those old Victorians and they have the smallest kitchens. And some fearful heating bills. But they do have a certain charm.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's Canastota and it could be a good option. Parts of Oneida could work, as could Sherrill, which has lower energy costs due to NYPA: City of Sherrill Power and Light Home Page

Fracking is most likely going to be in the Southern Tier and you shouldn't have to worry about that. I wouldn't worry about not being able to leave either. There really aren't any "bad" areas in between Utica and Syracuse and any issues are usually minimal in terms of crime.

I agree with syr83's post, as Clinton is very nice, as is New Hartford and the Whitesboro area. Same with his Oneida comment. Sherrill may be the place to look due to the good school district, lower energy costs, the close proximity to Hamilton college and the Thruway in order to get to Syracuse or Utica, close enough to take Route 5 to Syracuse or to Utica and largely safe. It is the smallest city in the state of NY too: City of Sherrill | The Silver City

Here is more on the other Utica-Rome area communities: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

NHhomepage
Village Of New Hartford: Local Businesses: Local Businesses [Digital Towpath]

Village Of Whitesboro: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Town Of Whitestown: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

and for Canastota: Village of Canastota, NY
I'd just be aware that the Marcellus Shale does go quite a bit beyond the Southern Tier, and its edge is right where the OP is looking. So, its definitely something I'd consider when buying here:

Large Map of Marcellus Shale Formation - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

While it hasn't been determined yet, I'd personally want to know if the potential for a huge oil rig was possible in my immediate area. The OP can make the decision if this is important to him or not. Especially considering all the problems that have been occurring in PA, I'd want to know.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'd just be aware that the Marcellus Shale does go quite a bit beyond the Southern Tier, and its edge is right where the OP is looking. So, its definitely something I'd consider when buying here:

Large Map of Marcellus Shale Formation - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

While it hasn't been determined yet, I'd personally want to know if the potential for a huge oil rig was possible in my immediate area. The OP can make the decision if this is important to him or not. Especially considering all the problems that have been occurring in PA, I'd want to know.
While the Marcellus and Utica Shales have been considered, much of the target area is south of here and I believe that the Syracuse area Watershed protection is official, as you can see signs as to where it is designated. I could be wrong, but most of the rumblings of fracking are for areas south of here. Many towns are trying to block fracking from occurring, but I believe that it may be occurring in some Southern Tier towns already. Here's some recent information: Innovation Trail

Innovation Trail

Dryden, New York Fracking Ban To Be Considered By State Appeals Court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York