Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM

27 posts, read 134,708 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Wapppingers Falls area and have some questions. What is the nearest metro north station- is it a direct line to Grand Central? What is there to do in the town- is there at least a movie theater? Is there a main street/ strip with a good selection of stores? Is there any nightlife at all? Are the homes nice in the area? How long is the drive to NYC? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 44,074 times
I don't know too much about Wappingers proper, but I can tell you a few things about the area in general. The nearest Metro-North line is either New Hamburg or Poughkeepsie, and direct trains do run to Grand Central. Route 9 is a giant divided six-lane with all the usual strip mall stuff on it - Barnes and Noble, Red Lobster, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. - and the Poughkeepsie Galleria mall isn't too far away, but I'm sure that there's also a central street in the village itself. The drive to NYC is around an hour and a half/two hours, depending on traffic. I've heard there are some lovely homes there.

We live in New Paltz, a few miles north and across the river. Both Ulster and Duchess counties are lovely, particularly at this time of the year.

Good luck!

zs.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 134,708 times
Thanks- I currently live in Queens but the most basic homes are going for half a million so I am trekking upstate. I saw some nice affordable houses in Wappinger. I need to be somewhere that is not extremely countryish or I will feel city withdrawl! Thanks for the metro North info.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
ABP

4 posts, read 25,414 times
You should also consider Fishkill, Hopewell Junction and East Fishkill. You can get alot more for your money in Dutchess. It is rural compared to Queens. I grew up in LI and live in Fishkill now. When my family visits they make it sound like they are traveling to Canada.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM

280 posts, read 1,221,998 times
Thumbs up I lived in Wappingers Falls....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyh001 View Post
I am considering moving to the Wapppingers Falls area and have some questions. What is the nearest metro north station- is it a direct line to Grand Central? What is there to do in the town- is there at least a movie theater? Is there a main street/ strip with a good selection of stores? Is there any nightlife at all? Are the homes nice in the area? How long is the drive to NYC? Any info would be appreciated.
New Hamburg is the closest train station its a hamlet of Wappingers Falls, yet you also have Poughkeepsie & Beacon train stations, and yes they all go directly to Grand Central, I took it many times. Rt 9 from Fishkill, thru Wappingers to Poughkeepsie has alot of malls, movie theaters, places to eat, there are night clubs, but mostly alot of little bars everywhere. You will find nice homes in the town of Wappingers. And the drive to NYC is 60 miles and a 90 minute train ride which I recommend. Anything else you need to know, let me know. I lived there for 31yrs, didn't want to but left temporarly for personal reasons.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM

88 posts, read 530,463 times
Hi there,

I'm orginally from Queens and moved to Wappingers when I was a teenager b/c my family moved. Now I live in Fishkill which is the next town over (I'm 27 now).

The nearest train is New Hamburg which will give you a 1 1/2 hr commute directly into Grand Central Station. There are also some express trains (for rush hour) that will get you there in 1 hr and 15min. I do this commute everyday on the train b/c I work 2 blocks from Grand Central.

As for the drive.. your talking anywhere between 1hr and 2 hrs.. depends on traffic and which part of Manhattan you want to go to. I would say an average of 1hr and 1/2 dirve.

Nightlife...LOL. Not highly recommendable. Dont get me wrong, there are some clubs/ bars but they will not be what you are used to. Clubs/ bars are not very hip to say the least. Most clubs/ bars are in Poughkeepsie, Newburgh or NewPaltz (mostly just bars where I am in Fishkill). All these towns are 15-30 min away from Wappingers.

Area in general is very family friendly, no side walks (this drove me CRAZYwhen I moved from Queens), slow paced, quiet, lots of beautiful scenery, little diversity, and the people are very friendly. Homes are reasonable and you can get much more for your money there.

I would suggest you look at the villiage of Fishkill actually. I think your transition may be a little easier from there. You can walk (on sidewalks!) to shops/ resturants/ bars. You are close to the highway for easy commute to the city and about 10 min from Metro North. You're also about a 10 min drive from malls, gyms, all kinds of stores and resturants.

It took me a long time to adjust to this lifestyle when I first moved here. It was SOOOO extreemly quiet to me! That was so amazing. At night when it is dark, it is VERY dark. There are very little street lights and nobody outside at all. Everyone drives everywhere because everything is like 10-15 min away. When it snows, there are huge mounds of snow..nothing like Queens. What elese...let's see...Not very culturally diverse. I was used to having friends from all types of cultural backgrounds & here, there are mostly caucasions.

I hope this was helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York