Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 AM

59 posts, read 226,298 times

Advertisements

Hi

I've been reading a lot of threads here and asking a few things, as well as visiting upstate and looking at places for one we can call home. So far we have narrowed it down to Greene and Delaware. We liked Durham / Greenville and Andes area. A few things I am looking for for our home would be

1. Broadband for work, DSL, Cable or FIOS, can't use satellite. Do not really care about TV radio stations or cell phone availability.
2. Well insulated home 4 br under 200,000 + 4000 taxes possibly to convert to a green home with solar panels and such.
3. Close to five acres plus, enough to have an organic garden that we can possibly make bigger as we go along.
4. Quiet town, friendly folk, nice kids (Our boys can relate to, they like apple picking, fishing, paddleboating, trails better than disney.)
5. Elevated cool area, so far we think Andes could be it, seems like a great place.
6. If Andes area we want to find out which roads are paved, or if it is not much to hire someone for that and garbage pick up.
7. Realtors r welcome to contact us.

We are coming from Long Island without the mentality, or the loud boom boom music blasting out of cars, grew up in farm area on Long Island, dont know if overcrowding is making people rude but we just want out. We are fortunate to be able to look almost anywhere without needing now to be near the city.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by skyblupink; 11-16-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 AM

136 posts, read 778,483 times
Quote:
5. Elevated cool area, so far we think Andes could be it, seems like a great place

All around Andes, there are elevated cool areas: Cabin Hill area, Crescent Hill area, Dingle Hill area, Bovina area, Margaretville Mountain area, and the headwater areas of many small streams. I suppose about the highest you can get is near the top of New Kingston Mountain Road, Near the top of Weaver Hollow Road, and perhaps County Road 6 near the top between New Kingston and Bovina.

Quote:
6. If Andes area we want to find out which roads are paved, or if it is not much to hire someone for that and garbage pick up.
You might have to drive the roads yourself (that's what I did), since there's a mixture of paved and unpaved roads all through the area. Generally, almost all of the county roads in southeastern Delaware County are paved, but a surprising number of other roads are paved, too (and not necessarily the ones that look biggest on the map).

Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 AM

As I look I see one acre is realistic, told my husbnd the prices are higher for that (he wants more) I think 1/2 acre garden will do, thx (couldnt edit my earlier post)

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Thank you!!

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss58yy View Post

All around Andes, there are elevated cool areas: Cabin Hill area, Crescent Hill area, Dingle Hill area, Bovina area, Margaretville Mountain area, and the headwater areas of many small streams. I suppose about the highest you can get is near the top of New Kingston Mountain Road, Near the top of Weaver Hollow Road, and perhaps County Road 6 near the top between New Kingston and Bovina.

You might have to drive the roads yourself (that's what I did), since there's a mixture of paved and unpaved roads all through the area. Generally, almost all of the county roads in southeastern Delaware County are paved, but a surprising number of other roads are paved, too (and not necessarily the ones that look biggest on the map).

Old 11-16-2007, 11:31 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
The Andes and Delhi area seem to be popular second/vacation home areas for downstaters, and so the real estate is a bit more expensive. Head west in Delaware County some and prices come down a little. As you are looking, be aware of the flooding that has occurred in the last couple years and the likely hood of more in the future.

Franklin is a really nice quiet little town in the general area you're looking that would be worth checking out. Maybe not quite as high up as Andes, elevation-wise, but still high. Has the advantage of being relatively close to Oneonta which is a fairly progressive small city, has a SUNY branch, a couple good restaurants, couple health food stores, farmer's market in the summer.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
The Andes and Delhi area seem to be popular second/vacation home areas for downstaters, and so the real estate is a bit more expensive. Head west in Delaware County some and prices come down a little. As you are looking, be aware of the flooding that has occurred in the last couple years and the likely hood of more in the future.

Franklin is a really nice quiet little town in the general area you're looking that would be worth checking out. Maybe not quite as high up as Andes, elevation-wise, but still high. Has the advantage of being relatively close to Oneonta which is a fairly progressive small city, has a SUNY branch, a couple good restaurants, couple health food stores, farmer's market in the summer.
That sounds really nice I will check it. We are looking for elevation not only for cool air but to avoid flooding, were the areas flooded high up or just near water? I know theres that huge resvoir in the southern part. Thanks

Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM

The flooding in 2006 was all in the river valleys. The flooding in Colchester/Roscoe in 2007 was kind of weird- the most damage was actually up in the hills in Colchester along what is normally a small roadside creek. I was talking to someone in the area a few weeks ago about how strange the damage along the road (I think it was Berry-Brook Road that I saw the damage on) and he said there was speculation that the flooding was the result of a tornado that actually picked up a huge volume of water and literally dumped it the top of the hill. Sounds bizarre and unlikely, but from what I saw it actually made sense. The tops of hills aren't usually where things flood! I think it was a freak occurrance, but coming a year after another big flood it makes people nervous. Its pretty easy to just sense where flooding might be a problem.

Two issues to be aware of as far as the area you are looking in are industrial wind development and confined animal feeding operations. Search these forums and you will find several long, often contentious, but informative threads on both issues. The industrial wind development projects are of more concern than the CAFOs, which are popping up farther west.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
I love Andes, but I like being in Bovina because it is more convenient because I am equal distance to Delhi, Margaretville, little less to Andes and Oneonta 40-45, is a little closer as well Stamford, Roxbury. A little more remote depending on where you are looking than Andes where we have Russell's General Store which helps in a pinch and still looks more or less the same since 1823 which is nice. It is like spitting hairs but personally I think Bovina is a world to itself, very beautiful and very remote with tons of wildlife.

You won't be lonely for Long Islanders or New Yakers from the city. But not the annoying kind for the most part very nice people by and large and they uplift the area, by restoring the homes and land very nicely. Fortunately, and my heart goes out to all the 2006 flood victims which was devastating, From what I saw and I was out that day all over Andes town was a big mess, Margaretville the same, I had to take an old Mountain path just to get to 28. But Bovina was high and dry for the most part you wouldn't have even known.

Having Hogans is convenient, and great pizza and other things, but wouldn't want to be too reliant with gas prices, etc. . Don't worry if roads are paved or not like ss58yy said most are a mix and not a problem, unless you don't like your car a shade of brown most of the year.

The half acre garden you might want to budget for we have rock with some dirt mixed in for soil although the soil is excellent as you can see from the beautiful green fields. So raised beds is what I do. If you have budget you will need an excavator to dig and clean a large area and refill with soil. I would say depeinding on who does it 1500-4000k.

The wind issue is over in Andes and Bovina, so in this area just Stamford, Roxbury and Schoharie have big worries at the moment locally. Merideth has a new board all Anti Commercial wind so a little breath of fresh air there...

Good luck people are great and you will figure it out. Country life ain't cheap so count on unexpected things that may alter your budget etc like plowing, mowing - look to try and do that your self with an old tractor or truck or even an ATV. Those two things alone can save you A LOT of money. For instance you may pay up to 45 an hour to have your property mowed and more to plow. I do those things myself and although expensive to maintain and buy equipment it pays off esp mowing, which can be as they say every 3.5 days in the summer lol which for me could be 1000 a month easy, and some people pay that with large lots. And you will need to find those people, as well as, get er done when you need to.

Good luck.... Post if you have questions. I agree with Honeychrome take the drive up 28 to Franklin and Oneonta. Not only beautiful, but you get to see the big town Oneonta, very serviceable, hint go to the Sears for equipment appliances they can actually fix em unlike some of the box stores.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 11-16-2007 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: I can spell....?

Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 AM

Thanks Bovina you are a great help! If we move there and need the fill I will definately write you. For the unpaved roads I would worry most about being snowed in, ready to sell our minivan for a 6 seater truck, but not sure what a plow would cost. If a long driveway we may get a bobcat or something. Cant wait to get up there, thanks again!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 AM

Another way to deal with a long driveway (depends on just HOW long, of course) is to park at the end of it with a shovel in the back when you know a big snow might be coming and keep some snowshoes handy. Walking in and out with groceries won't be much fun, but you won't be stuck! But really, you're not talking about Mexico, NY and the last couple years there hasn't been a whole heck of a lot of snow in the area overall. I'm shopping around for an old tractor to kill several birds with one stone (plow, mower, auger.....).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York