Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times

Advertisements

Enjoying American Pickers tonight, based Upstate. In Lincoln, NY I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
If stagnation is your thing, by all means.

But don't tout stagnation as a positive.

Also, don't tout the Rochester metro numbers. The Census Bureau including Canandaigua as part of the metro area indicates a retard designed the metro area for Rochester. Find better numbers.
The numbers are what they are. Take that up with the Census Bureau.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I hear ya. I like ckh but I have a feeling we dislike NY for different reasons. You seem to have a legitimate beef with NY due to taxes you've paid and other reasons. I get it.

As I've only lived in the NYC metro, I dislike only that area for the congestion, the attitudes, the tolls, and having to listen to 3 hour Michael Bloomberg press conferences when 6 inches of snow falls. Because NYers don't understand that sometimes it snows and that's natural. People so disconnected from nature that even snow becomes political and something to be corporately managed.

I still go upstate for refuge from here, and when things have gotten stressful, I've always retreated to Upstate (not Rochester though for camping, and spending time in the Adirondacks. I have tons of friends up there from when I lived in Vermont.

As for people who think I'm someone else or think my contradiction with them is reason to call me names or be condescending, that's their issue. Like you, I don't put much value on money but lots of value on quality of life.
You are a smart person.

I am good friends with my cousin in Astoria and the tales of Bloomberg blunders are astounding. It's like NY is idiotic, but NYC seems to multiply that by 3.

It seems your dislike of NY comes from pure dislike of NYC. I assure you NYS is just as bad. Congestion you'll get in any major city, attitude is pure a**hole in NYC, tolls are just another acceptable way of taxing the public, and snow storms are NOT that hard to handle (and mayors that make it seem otherwise are idiots).

Come down to the South for holiday. We aren't racist and uneducated like the media make you believe. There are a TON of LI and NYC transplants here. The South doesn't hate Yankees like the media makes you want to believe. We love people, no matter where they are from, as long as they are not a**holes. Come on down and enjoy the sun, we'd love to have you.

Trust me. That's not a transplant-only opinion. That is what the South is about. "Come on down, we'd love to have you as long as you're not an a**hole". Anyone that has told you differently, was one of those a**holes.

Then go back to NY and form an opinion of the world. I'm 99.99999% sure I know what you'll think.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The numbers are what they are. Take that up with the Census Bureau.
If census numbers are all that you have, I feel sad for you. If I were religious, I'd probably pray for you.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, it had more to do with this article claim.

Like I mentioned, officially based on census numbers, the Rochester metro area has never had a population loss and Monroe County lost people only for 1 census(1980).
Ok. I have no beef with Rochester, but I'd keep in mind that its a city that's not faring too well. Crime seems to be a serious issue there and if I recall, it seems that the main area that is touted is the southeast quadrant. Of course what seems adequate to one person might feel dangerous to others. I think any reasonable person would agree that you can't tout a city if only one quarter of it is liveable.

My short time there and all I came away with is that the city seemed run down and dangerous in most areas. The suburbs, otoh, were quite nice. The people seemed much nicer than NJ folk. I'd fault no one for living there. Still, in my line of work that is outdoors 75% of the time, I would not thrive there. Its way too cold, cloudy, and snowy.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
If census numbers are all that you have, I feel sad for you. If I were religious, I'd probably pray for you.
No need. Trust me on that one.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Ok. I have no beef with Rochester, but I'd keep in mind that its a city that's not faring too well. Crime seems to be a serious issue there and if I recall, it seems that the main area that is touted is the southeast quadrant. Of course what seems adequate to one person might feel dangerous to others. I think any reasonable person would agree that you can't tout a city if only one quarter of it is liveable.

My short time there and all I came away with is that the city seemed run down and dangerous in most areas. The suburbs, otoh, were quite nice. The people seemed much nicer than NJ folk. I'd fault no one for living there. Still, in my line of work that is outdoors 75% of the time, I would not thrive there. Its way too cold, cloudy, and snowy.
That comment was to just make the simple point again.

Unfortunately with American cities, you are going to have your share of rough areas. So, that is a given. To be fair, there still some nice areas within the city and given that not all cities are equal in terms of land size, annexation, etc., looking at the metro as a whole seems more appropriate.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Living there, crime isn't even the issue. I moved to Charleston and cannot believe the level of growth. New development here, new development there, new store here, new store there, new plaza here, new plaza there.

In Rochester, they are clamoring about a private grocery store downtown. Is this 1965? Who cares? Move somewhere that doesn't have to appreciate petty things such as grocery stores downtown. We have 6. Get over it.

Honestly, their only developments are this grocery store downtown and this development in Brighton (Costco) that has stalled. This place is so far up Wegman's a** that they don't realize Wegmans rips them off constantly, so all they have to look forward to is grocery stores. Then a Costco promises to come to town. Everyone gets their panties in a bunch, but the deal is stalled because people found out there might be state-funded business deals to get it here. Get over it. Jobs > taxes. Let business pay no taxes so your cousin can get a job. Why is that so hard to accept.

But that's it.

In Charleston, there are housing developments, too many to count. 30k+ developments, new restaurants every month, new stores every month, new expressway exits every other year, expressway expansions, road expansions, etc etc etc. It's mind blowing.

Growth area.

vs.

Dead area.

I love how WHAM 13 had a weather story twice a day during the cold weather these past few weeks. Nothing else going on? Sad. Just plain sad.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
You are a smart person.

I am good friends with my cousin in Astoria and the tales of Bloomberg blunders are astounding. It's like NY is idiotic, but NYC seems to multiply that by 3.

It seems your dislike of NY comes from pure dislike of NYC. I assure you NYS is just as bad. Congestion you'll get in any major city, attitude is pure a**hole in NYC, tolls are just another acceptable way of taxing the public, and snow storms are NOT that hard to handle (and mayors that make it seem otherwise are idiots).

Come down to the South for holiday. We aren't racist and uneducated like the media make you believe. There are a TON of LI and NYC transplants here. The South doesn't hate Yankees like the media makes you want to believe. We love people, no matter where they are from, as long as they are not a**holes. Come on down and enjoy the sun, we'd love to have you.

Trust me. That's not a transplant-only opinion. That is what the South is about. "Come on down, we'd love to have you as long as you're not an a**hole". Anyone that has told you differently, was one of those a**holes.

Then go back to NY and form an opinion of the world. I'm 99.99999% sure I know what you'll think.
Thank you. Yes, its mostly NYC, LI, and metro NJ. I lived in NC for a portion of last year and enjoyed it immensely. My career field is not burgeoning there, or I definitely would have stayed. And I totally agree that the South is NOTHING like the media portrays. Its Real America. Awesome, friendly, humble people. A little flaky but never have I met such open people. NJers and NYers are so closed off and provincial. And there a**holes, yes. Sure, in very rural parts I was looked at strange with Jersey plates, and the bars in the South in rural areas are not the time to run your mouth.

I encountered the opposite of racism. Totally integrated. Unlike here.

I'm building back my bankroll and hopefully I can try to get back there again in 2-3 years. South or West. Where I live now is fine, so I'm not in a rush. Far less a**holes here than metro NYC!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
No need. Trust me on that one.
Denial is a tough river to cross. Very tough. My non-religious prayers go out to you, my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York