Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM

75 posts, read 340,724 times

Advertisements

I've been silently monitoring this forum, as well as some others now for the past six months. From what I've seen, and from my own experience living in Rochester, I'm convinced that the next decade will see something of a turnaround for WNY and Syracuse. No--this does not mean that people will flock here in droves. However, I believe people will begin to realize the true attractiveness of some of upstate's best qualities:

> FOUR seasons. Yes, the winter can be long, the days are short and often overcast, but why not make the best of it? Go sledding, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, etc. Or spend some time with your family. And tell me--what is better than that first day in March or April when you can tell spring is on its way? Spring gives way to a gorgeous summer, which is a full three months at LEAST. This past summer seemed to last from the end of May until the middle of October. For example, during the week of October 7, the maximum high in Rochester that week was 85 degrees, and the minimum high was 65 (weatherunderground.com)! Granted, this is unusual, but the point is that summer is much longer than most people say it is. And as summer fades into fall, what beats going to one of our many glorious parks on a cool late-October weekend when the leaves are in full regalia?

> We have family-oriented communities, in a time of selfish, materialistic values. No, we're not perfect either. But I think this is what has really held the area together through the hard times, considering that the decay of many of the large companies in the area. It could have been much more devastating than it ended up being. We're a resilient group of people (those of us that stay, anyway).

> Quality of life. We don't spend two hours in the car every day getting to work. Roadways rarely become congested. Parks, trails, and bodies of water are abundant. The topography is interesting, and varies from place to place. The air is clean, relative to that of many other cities. The pace of life is reasonable. If you need to get away, you can just drive half an hour, and you're in the country.

> Infrequent natural disasters. Ice storms and blizzards are as bad as it gets.

> Good infrastructure. Roads are in good condition. I can attest to this, as I've been all over Western and Central NY. No, they're not perfect. But significant decay has been a rare observation in my travels.

> Great schools. The list goes on and on here. SUNY Buffalo, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, Cornell University, and SUNY Geneseo, to name just a few. Secondary schools are also very strong, with a number of nationally ranked districts.

Don't get me wrong here. I don't mean to make upstate out to be heaven. But I believe that the many people who make it out to be hell are way off base. This area has many great assets, and I truly think that people will begin to value them more and more as they are exposed to the lifestyle of the sunbelt cities.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:51 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
I agree with you and don't forget about W-A-T-E-R.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
What an excellent post Jbertol2... you brought up the most important points: the people, the lay of the land, and all 4 seasons... T&C

Old 12-08-2007, 01:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
If it weren't for the political issues, I'd be back

Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 PM

165 posts, read 662,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
But I believe that the many people who make it out to be hell are way off base. This area has many great assets,
I think some of what makes many people make it out to be hell, is that when you lose your job and can't get another life can get pretty crappy. When your dreams start to become unattainable, when you can't pay your bills, when you have to move your kids away from their best friends to get a job, you may start to have a real sour outlook on the area. I think its human nature, and it is understandable.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Its as simple as this...for some people, the positives of living in this region way out the negatives....for some people they don't. Different people have different points of vew. I happen to agree with every word of Jbertol's post. Others don't.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-11-2007 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 12-08-2007, 01:45 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Its as simple as this...for some people, the positives of living in this region way out the negatives....for some people they don't. Different people have different points of vew. I happen to agree with every word of Jbertol's post. Others don't.
I agree to agree... said T&C

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-11-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 12-08-2007, 03:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I just realized how many typing/grammar errors are in that last post of mine and I'm ashamed...but the point I was making I still stand behind 100%. haha

Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM

79 posts, read 258,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
I agree with you and don't forget about W-A-T-E-R.
That's so true! I visited Lake Alatoona today (supplies water to the Atlanta metro area). The lake levels are so low that it's scary! Now, we have land where there was water. It makes you appreciate Lake Erie!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
You touched on most ofthe good things... you need to define and add the natural beauty -- like the Falls and Letchworth and Zoar Valley. Add the wondrous beauty of the architecture from when Buffalo and cities along the Erie Canal were prosperous... they are a legacy of greatness. People born and bred here fail to see what is so wondrous around them. Our daughters friend's have moved south( Carolinas and GA), west (CA) and east (to NYC). They all complain about cost of living, lack of jobs, getting a decent mechanic or a plumber, etc..... you get the idea. Not everything is rosy in the places people move to.

We had our drought this year as well... just as many inches down as down south... even the swamps were growing grass! It took just a good fall rain and a bit of the snow to replenish it. No water hassles here.

Add it all up, figure the pros and cons... there are mostly pros here. I think all the naysayers should try that... and then, if they can't be positive, not post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York