Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Wow, those photos are beautiful! I can see how that would be a very spiritual experience for you.

There are jelly fish in rivers? I assume its the brackish part of the river near the coast, but not inland rivers. And also alligators being more common away from the ocean, I didn't know that. I assume once you get into the foothills of the Smokies, there are no alligators? Probably west of Colombia, SC?

I know snakes are a concern. I did see and film a rattler crossing the road in eastern NC. I'm not afraid of snakes but of course I'm concerned about even stepping near one that I can't see or am expecting. Like the stories you hear about people finding them on front porches or in toilets!

More than even snakes here in the Northeast, I am very afraid of ticks! Ticks here typically carry Lymes, which can slowly kill you. There is no Lymes Disease in the Southern states either, correct? I know there are ticks but they don't carry Lymes as far as I know.

My first foray into the South I quickly learned that y'all don't have bbq's, you have a cookout. Here we call it "barbecuing". There they told me that barbecuing isn't a verb, its a noun, for a type of food. Is South Carolina BBQ different from NC? I only saw bbq prepared with bbq sauce or vinegar. I'd love to try the mustard based kind.

Cool thread. I enjoy learning about the area.
When we cook hogs, personally, I use a 5 lb bucket full of vinegar and red pepper flakes and Tabasco sauce. I usually cook it for around 12 hours in a pit. Uncovering it long enough to slop my vinegar/hot sauce mix all over it (bout ever 30 mins). When it comes out, Good Gawd Almighty Jumpin Jesus On A Pogo Stick. Usually I serve it with a KC style honey or molasses based BBQ sauce, but everyone has their favorites. My brother makes a damn good sauce with ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar, and a few spices (cayenne, chili poweder, cumin, pepper, and A-1 sauce).

There have been a few cases of Lyme disease in the mountains of SC but I haven't heard of any around here.

I said "redneck" as a compliment. Redneck is a lifestyle down here.

There are less and less gators as you move upstate. The highest concentrations of gators are in the swamps, and in the brackish waters. We have them even in neighborhood drainage ponds though. There is a gator hunting season and you can get tags to hunt them, the skins sell for a pretty penny.

Alligator caught in ocean on Isle of Palms, SC - YouTube

Proof gators go anywhere they damn well please.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/T...uried-treasure

One that was filmed couple weeks ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Probably not at all. NYC isn't appealing to me..
I got you. It isn't like you wouldn't have plenty of options in the rest of the state. So, there is plenty to consider.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I got you. It isn't like you wouldn't have plenty of options in the rest of the state. So, there is plenty to consider.
Yeah no kidding! There's so much to consider. I'm going to have a time wading through all these links to find what I can fit into 7 days...

Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To the OP, you may like this too: http://www.usboattours.com/1000islands/
Are there smaller boat charters where the experience is a little more private?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Are there smaller boat charters where the experience is a little more private?
I believe that some of these companies have a private charter option. For instance, it appears that this company offers that: Clayton Island Tours

This one offers boat rentals on the Erie Canal: Mid-Lakes Navigation | Cruising on Skaneateles Lake and The Erie Canal

Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 PM

Awesome thanks ckhthankgod

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks ckhthankgod
No problem and again, if you think of anything else, just ask.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
I love fishing, I have never flyfished. I tried it once for Reds out in Galveston Bay without much success. 90% of my fishing is salt-water. I have fished for bream on cane poles, bass on lures, and catfish on stinky bait in fresh water but never caught anything on a fly!

To visit there from CT, which airport would you fly into?
To visit Stony Brook/Three Villages you can fly into Islip MacArthur Airport (ISP). We're about 20 minutes north.
I defer to my Catskill CD friends for best airport to use for the Lew Beach/Livingston Manor area.

I don't know if this has come up yet, but about 30 miles south of the Beaverkill Valley Inn is the site where Woodstock was held. Today there is a museum and performing arts center on Yasgur's farm. Bethel Woods Center for the Arts :: Home

Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
To visit Stony Brook/Three Villages you can fly into Islip MacArthur Airport (ISP). We're about 20 minutes north.
I defer to my Catskill CD friends for best airport to use for the Lew Beach/Livingston Manor area.

I don't know if this has come up yet, but about 30 miles south of the Beaverkill Valley Inn is the site where Woodstock was held. Today there is a museum and performing arts center on Yasgur's farm. Bethel Woods Center for the Arts :: Home
That sure is a pretty area!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM

So if I wanted to do some fishing while up there, would you recommend chartering on the big lakes? Or perhaps fly fishing in the creeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York