Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:57 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes and agree with most of this in terms of pace. Upstate NY might as well be another state in this regard.
It's completely different I'm sure. Are the Appalachians similar to how they are in W. North Carolina or W. Virginia? With seasonal turning of leaves, and hiking, camping trails etc? That would be a very nice vacation for me I'm sure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:18 PM

93,327 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
It's completely different I'm sure. Are the Appalachians similar to how they are in W. North Carolina or W. Virginia? With seasonal turning of leaves, and hiking, camping trails etc? That would be a very nice vacation for me I'm sure..
Yes and Fall is probably the best time of year to be up here due to the fall foliage and generally more consistent weather. You may like checking out what I call the Route 20 corridor just south of Syracuse, which there are hills and valleys, along with many apple farms that open with farm stands during the Fall. This picture was taken near there:

Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
Quote:
Did the upstate experience a down-tick in COL when the manufacturing sector declined? Or has it just always been outpaced by NYC?
Our COL is on a steady incline currently due mainly to the influx of relocatees flocking to the area. With our booming tech sector, there's a real shortage of housing inventory and this is fueling a serious climb in COL.. In my opinion, we are starting to be on par with other metros as far as housing costs, rent, etc. But it's still an easy drive (45 minutes) if you choose to live in a rural area and save money on housing costs. One thing we don't have here yet (although it's higher now that 10 years ago) is overbearing tax burdens. A $200k home will cost you between $1600 and $3200 a year in property taxes depending on your school district. We have HOA's in almost all new neighborhoods which runs a couple hundred a year, and we have a state income tax, but compared to Houston, TX and some of the other major metros I've lived in and know about, our taxes seem to be on the lower side still.
To give you an idea of upstate taxes, and I'm a few miles from the exact center of the state in Eaton.

My house has some special considerations so is actually worth nothing but in thoery it's worth about 50k. My taxes are over 3k with all exemptions. These taxes include nothing, water sewer garbage are all extra.

Throw in a 7% income tax and a 8% sales tax plus 50 cent gas tax and toll roads and the highest utility rates in the lower 48 and a massive need for these utilities and on and on and on do you see how the "cheap houses" quickly become not so cheap any more.

And keep in mind these are older houses with all the extra expense of old houses. Start talking newer houses in nicer areas and the money gets crazier. I did some bussiness with a guy a few weeks ago in what most would say is the best area around here, Manlius. Nice house but no mansion. Great schools. 16k a year in taxes. It's for sale and he's on his way south.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
To give you an idea of upstate taxes, and I'm a few miles from the exact center of the state in Eaton.

My house has some special considerations so is actually worth nothing but in thoery it's worth about 50k. My taxes are over 3k with all exemptions. These taxes include nothing, water sewer garbage are all extra.

Throw in a 7% income tax and a 8% sales tax plus 50 cent gas tax and toll roads and the highest utility rates in the lower 48 and a massive need for these utilities and on and on and on do you see how the "cheap houses" quickly become not so cheap any more.

And keep in mind these are older houses with all the extra expense of old houses. Start talking newer houses in nicer areas and the money gets crazier. I did some bussiness with a guy a few weeks ago in what most would say is the best area around here, Manlius. Nice house but no mansion. Great schools. 16k a year in taxes. It's for sale and he's on his way south.
You don't get streets plowed, law enforcement or any other services? School tax generally make up the biggest chunk of property taxes.

You can avoid toll roads, depending on where you are going and that guy lived in arguably the most affluent neighborhood in the area. Sales tax depends on the county.

Home prices in Upstate are still lower than home prices in many other areas. They still get you in other ways, as the government and/or other industries will get their money.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Yikes!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You don't get streets plowed, law enforcement or any other services? School tax generally make up the biggest chunk of property taxes.

You can avoid toll roads, depending on where you are going and that guy lived in arguably the most affluent neighborhood in the area. Sales tax depends on the county.

Home prices in Upstate are still lower than home prices in many other areas. They still get you in other ways, as the government and/or other industries will get their money.
Still compared to here, that's crazy high taxes...

Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Taxes will be higher, but median home prices are lower. I don't know if insurance is higher though and taxes are just from real property here. HOA's aren't as prevalent either.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM

I said 8% sales tax. Are any lower then that?? I know many are higher.

Law enforcement?? Please. When laws are enforced it's the troopers that do it and that's income tax.

Streets plowed??sooner or later I guess if you gotta be somewhere at a certain time you need a 4x4 which I guess is another tax.

Avoid the toll road?? Pretty much everything upstate is payed out east to west and the only highway going through is a toll road. So unless your retired and can go 30 mph stop light to stop light on the state roads you are kinda steered to the toll road. Just guessing but I'd say roughly 99.99% of people traveling from metro to metro use the toll rd.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Take the price of a modern nice home in your area. Figger the home price, plus interest with your best guess on taxes over a 20/30 year period. Arrive at a total cost.

Now do the same in NY. Do your best with the taxes. My school taxes alone went up 4% this year. Arrive at a total cost

Tell me if the total cost still makes you think NY still has "cheap houses"

And remember a mortage is paid off so your housing costs go down. Taxes are forever and there is no limit on how high they go. So in NY as you get older and you wanna slow down you actually have to work harder and harder.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Take the price of a modern nice home in your area. Figger the home price, plus interest with your best guess on taxes over a 20/30 year period. Arrive at a total cost.

Now do the same in NY. Do your best with the taxes. My school taxes alone went up 4% this year. Arrive at a total cost

Tell me if the total cost still makes you think NY still has "cheap houses"

And remember a mortage is paid off so your housing costs go down. Taxes are forever and there is no limit on how high they go. So in NY as you get older and you wanna slow down you actually have to work harder and harder.
Taxes go down in NY with the Enhanced STAR at 65 and other exemptions will vary. Toll roads are non existent outside of the Thruway in Upstate NY. Sales tax tops out at 9%, as it is 4% with counties adding up to 5%. So, it can be lower and SC is 6% with an additional 1-3% possible.

Median home prices are still lower in comparison: Charleston County, SC Housing

Madison County, NY Housing

That is slightly more than double the median home price.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York