Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times

Advertisements

Is October too late in the year to experience upstate NY without freezing to death? What about the southern part of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM

355 posts, read 390,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With Upstate NY, quite bit of the manufacturing has left the country, let alone the state. There is still some up here, but instead of the bigger plants of the past, there are more smaller companies up here now. It is also in a state of transition and there are some openings, but you may have a mismatch in terms of openings and skills. Keep in mind that Upstate NY, if it was its own state would have about 7-8 million people, give or take. So, there are still quite a few people up here. As a frame of reference, an area like Syracuse is similar to a Charleston in population.
Sorry to disagree Syracuse is NOTHING NOTHING like the Charleston area .

Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Is October too late in the year to experience upstate NY without freezing to death? What about the southern part of the state?
October is still nice, September in Nyc is amazing. September , and October in Wny is really nice fall weather.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Sorry to disagree Syracuse is NOTHING NOTHING like the Charleston area .
I said in terms of population, in which they are about the same size in terms of metro population.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
October is still nice, September in Nyc is amazing. September , and October in Wny is really nice fall weather.
I would say this is true for anywhere in the state. Really the best season, in my opinion.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM

April used to be nice haven't really had a true April in Nys in a long time.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is the same publication that stated that a few NY areas were some of the most affordable major areas in the country. So, who knows with Forbes.

Also, the Marketwatch/Bureau of Economic Analysis also looked into metros, as we know states vary in terms of COL and other aspects that the Forbes article used for its criteria.

Here's the latest "unemployment" rates: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

With this said, OP, you may like to visit these places: Singer Castle on Dark Island - 1000 Islands, St. Lawrence River, Tours, Weddings, Events

Welcome to Old Fort Niagara

Tourist Attraction in NY | Battle Reenactments | Family Vacations Ideas

Boldt Castle welcomes you to visit one of the St. Lawrence River's premier attraction, located in the 1000 Islands, near Alexandria Bay, NY

Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles!

The Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce welcomes you to our beautiful community and region!

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Sackets Harbor Battlefield Alliance

Home : Corning's Gaffer District
I definitely think Forbes has a right wing agenda, however, I think this metric was done by the financial site "Moneyrates" using BLS and Gallop poll stats which are pretty cut and dry. Either way, its not good when NY has been coming in 49th or 50th in so many of these polls. People in the know, who live here and like it aren't going to be swayed, but you need productive people moving in to offset the productive people moving out.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Life's pretty fast paced here as well. Probably not speed of light like it is there, but I work 10-12 hours per day, real estate market is SCORCHING here and that keeps up all pretty booked.

I think it comes down to politeness. It is improper to not hold a door for a woman here. It's also improper to not say hello to a stranger that you pass on the street. Not to mention, you should see four Charlestonian's stuck at a 4-way stop. LOL They can't seem to ever be the first one to move out of rudeness so they sit there and wave, it's quite comical frankly.

You will find yourselves in many conversations with total strangers here just for the simple reason that to not do so would be rude. I think that's a remnant of times gone by, but us old fogies that still remember the way we used to treat folks, we still try to keep those proper values.

In the big picture, we are all the same. We all want to protect our families, build good lives for ourselves, pursue happiness, and help our neighbors...
You'd be surprised- its really not that fast paced here, Upstate. You have to understand the dichotomy between NYC and everywhere else. Its like night and day. Only in LA have I seen the dichotomy between pace of living like I've seen here. Albany has a *little* of the downstate pace, but nothing really like NYC / Long Island / NJ.

Comparing here with an area I'm familiar with, Raleigh-Cary-Durham, the pace is about the same here (Capital Region) with the NOTABLE exception of people on the roads. Driving in the South is chill and relaxing, like you mentioned, but driving here is faster paced and more aggressive. You're not waiting for anyone- its more me-first. There is less chit chat here too.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You'd be surprised- its really not that fast paced here, Upstate. You have to understand the dichotomy between NYC and everywhere else. Its like night and day. Only in LA have I seen the dichotomy between pace of living like I've seen here. Albany has a *little* of the downstate pace, but nothing really like NYC / Long Island / NJ.

Comparing here with an area I'm familiar with, Raleigh-Cary-Durham, the pace is about the same here (Capital Region) with the NOTABLE exception of people on the roads. Driving in the South is chill and relaxing, like you mentioned, but driving here is faster paced and more aggressive. You're not waiting for anyone- its more me-first. There is less chit chat here too.
Yes and agree with most of this in terms of pace. Upstate NY might as well be another state in this regard.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Yeah that makes perfect sense, I lived in Houston for 10 years so I have a good idea of what fast paced is... Very similar to NYC I'm sure of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York