Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It will still depend on those things in terms of property costs though, as an HOA wouldn't be viewed as a "tax". Seeing that the Manlius property is in the village makes in difference in terms of layers, but could be good in terms of walkability.

That may be the case with the Albany area, but I'm sure there are plenty in the Syracuse area that are under 150k, given that is still above the median for the area. In the Albany area, I'm guessing that maybe a town like Rotterdam or towns further out may be the best bets.
If you go to towns like Rotterdam or further out, I think you'd really be losing the ability to fairly compare it to a major Southern suburb, based on growth rates, things to do, QOL, etc.

While there are a larger number of homes under $150k in Syracuse, there still seems to be a disconnect in the monthly mortgage rate and quality of the homes.

I'll agree to disagree on the value of the median home price, friend. I just don't see it as being important. I know the price range I'd be looking at, and that's all I'd really be concerned with. In other words, if I found 1000 homes under $150k in an area with a median home price of $500k, it wouldn't deter me from buying in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 PM

93,422 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If you go to towns like Rotterdam or further out, I think you'd really be losing the ability to fairly compare it to a major Southern suburb, based on growth rates, things to do, QOL, etc.

While there are a larger number of homes under $150k in Syracuse, there still seems to be a disconnect in the monthly mortgage rate and quality of the homes.

I'll agree to disagree on the value of the median home price, friend. I just don't see it as being important. I know the price range I'd be looking at, and that's all I'd really be concerned with. In other words, if I found 1000 homes under $150k in an area with a median home price of $500k, it wouldn't deter me from buying in the area.
Actually, Rotterdam has a shopping center and offers quick access to the Catskills.

I've actually just posted some solid, affordable properties in another threads in fine areas and my point about the median home price, which others have mentioned as well, is about the quality from that median, give or take. So, if "quality" is an issue in regards to homes in an area with a lower median, what does that say about similarly priced homes in an area with a higher median? This isn't to be right or wrong, but I don't know if the median is irrelevant or completely so.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Are the NY postings with or with out STAR and are the communities all relative to the area they are in? Also, does White Gables in Summerville have an HOA, given some of the amenities mentioned? Personal property tax will depend on the items as well. What about insurance given the possibility of a hurricane due to the proximity to the ocean?

Median home price is relevant in terms of potential quality and the barometer it may set for that quality. Keep in mind that if it is irrelevant, then 75-90k homes could be used for areas up here in the same way that 100k homes could be displayed for down there. Median is just the middle number in terms of price for all homes in a community, not the average home price. There is a difference.
White Gables is a fairly large subdivision, they started building in there in 2003 and there are still phases being built. The older subsections do not have an HOA, but the 2014 newer constructions are listed at $590 per year for their HOA dues.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
White Gables is a fairly large subdivision, they started building in there in 2003 and there are still phases being built. The older subsections do not have an HOA, but the 2014 newer constructions are listed at $590 per year for their HOA dues.
Thanks. Does that change anything in terms of use of amenities? I think that there is a development or two like that around here.

As for coming up here in the Fall, is there anything else you want to check out? I'm thinking in terms of maybe sports, a festival or a specific area.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM

247 posts, read 526,106 times
Rotterdam is a middle class, somewhat urbanized suburb of Schenectady and still considered part of the Capital District, not really associated with the Catskills.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Rotterdam is a middle class, somewhat urbanized suburb of Schenectady and still considered part of the Capital District, not really associated with the Catskills.
Yes, just to clear up what was said on my end if it was confusing, it is referring to quick access to the Catskills.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM

368 posts, read 831,445 times
Vintage-what about the southwest?? Or are you looking just at the southeast/northeast for work??

Op-The second and third week of October are usually the best time for fall colors and ck has listed great links to check out.

Sean- I agree with you about total taxes-Kitchen table issues really.

I just want to add that weather really does have a big impact on peoples decision. Right now it is the third day straight of continuous rain, its wearing me out.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM

247 posts, read 526,106 times
We're moving from the Albany area to Palm Springs, CA, leaving today. Reasons:

• Better weather
• More things to do
• Better property taxes
• Employment options

Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 AM

This flipped into another one of those threads. Great.......OP, if you want anymore suggestions, just let us know.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Actually, Rotterdam has a shopping center and offers quick access to the Catskills.

I've actually just posted some solid, affordable properties in another threads in fine areas and my point about the median home price, which others have mentioned as well, is about the quality from that median, give or take. So, if "quality" is an issue in regards to homes in an area with a lower median, what does that say about similarly priced homes in an area with a higher median? This isn't to be right or wrong, but I don't know if the median is irrelevant or completely so.
I don't know that I'd compare Rotterdam to major suburban areas in the South. The two seem completely different to me.

If median home price is relevant, then how do you explain the sheer numbers of homes under $150k in the greater Charleston area? Considering it is the same size as the Syracuse metro, I'm finding huge numbers of quality homes for sale between $100k - 200k, the price range that probably 90% of people would want to be in.

Adding in the costs for property taxes, utility costs, gas tax, etc mentioned before, you can't get anywhere near the same cost / quality balance in the Alb, Syr, Roc, or Buf area.

Its like an exercise in Chinese calculus to fit a comparable house into the Southern pricing structure.

What median home price doesn't account for is growth and volume, aka the size of the sample. Its simply a number that averages all the highs and lows. I recognize that it has some baseline value, but is so easily skewed in the real world that it isn't of much value to people.

But like I said, I don't want to argue with you. We see this different and that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York