Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 19,673 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are 29 and are interested in purchasing a small property in the Hudson Valley (max $300k budget) to use as a weekend home and occasional rental property. We want a historic property with charm and original details that either has already been renovated or requires light renovation.

We looked at a few homes in Athens this weekend and fell in love with two properties but the town left a lot to be desired. For those that live or have bought property in the area, what are your thoughts on whether it's a good idea or not?

We are looking to relax on the weekends but also step out and walk to a store or two or sit at a cafe and might not always want to get in a car and drive 15+ minutes to Hudson or Catskill. Any thoughts on whether it's a good investment for a few years from now? I'm not asking if Athens will become Hudson nor do I want it to but Athens has some beautiful, vacant buildings along the main street that could definitely be turned into something.

Would appreciate any Hudson Valley residents thoughts and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 18,209 times
Beacon,new paltz,kingston my favorite!,woodstock,gardiner personally you will het most for your money in kingston try uptown kingston or roundout by the hudson river. Uptown and roundout have bars restaurants and cafes and art galleries

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
too close to poughkipsee and newburgh for my tastes.. I wouldnt want to be anywhere within 2 hours of the murder capital of NY

Can FBI Agent James Gagliano Make Newburgh Safe? -- New York Magazine

just my .02

Old 09-21-2014, 02:44 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
too close to poughkipsee and newburgh for my tastes.. I wouldnt want to be anywhere within 2 hours of the murder capital of NY

Can FBI Agent James Gagliano Make Newburgh Safe? -- New York Magazine

just my .02
That's ridiculous. I lived across the City of Newburgh line in Balmville (Town of Newburgh), less than a 10 minute drive away, and as far as our quality of life, the crime in the city there had absolutely no impact upon us. Check the City of Newburgh's stats... All of the crime you're hyperventilating about occurs within about one square isolated mile within that city.

To say that it would have anything to do with a location as much as two hours away is positively ludicrous.

(And FYI, it's spelled Poughkeepsie.)

Old 09-21-2014, 03:55 PM

86 posts, read 206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
That's ridiculous. I lived across the City of Newburgh line in Balmville (Town of Newburgh), less than a 10 minute drive away, and as far as our quality of life, the crime in the city there had absolutely no impact upon us. Check the City of Newburgh's stats... All of the crime you're hyperventilating about occurs within about one square isolated mile within that city.

To say that it would have anything to do with a location as much as two hours away is positively ludicrous.

(And FYI, it's spelled Poughkeepsie.)
Completely agree, Balmville is beautiful, totally different than the City of Newburgh. Really, all the town of Newburgh is nice. People hype up Newburgh way more than it should be.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:17 PM

We threw caution to the wind, lived in the City of Newburgh for 5 years, and restored several key properties. The only major crimes we witnessed while living there were within the walls of city hall.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM

214 posts, read 197,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
We threw caution to the wind, lived in the City of Newburgh for 5 years, and restored several key properties. The only major crimes we witnessed while living there were within the walls of city hall.
Ya don't say.....

Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
The town of Newburgh & city of Newburgh are 2 completely different worlds

Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post

just my .02
That is ridiculously alarmist and hyperbolic since '2 hours' from Newburg incorporates some of the safest, wealthiest, and most desirable places to live in the country if not the world.

Not to mention it violates the truism that if you are not directly involved in the crime world, your chances of being murdered in an area with a high murder rate is significantly lower than being murdered by a family member, statistically speaking. Now, property crime is another matter. However, If you live just a couple of miles from the nexus of crime in Newburg, you would probably live quite happily unaware of the problem from direct personal experience.

That said, I would advise spending some time in the area you are interested in buying, look at the local shopping, restaurant, bar district and see how it feels with your feet on the ground. You should be able to identify which neighborhoods are sketchy and plan to look at houses in other areas accordingly.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Now, property crime is another matter. However, If you live just a couple of miles from the nexus of crime in Newburg, you would probably live quite happily unaware of the problem from direct personal experience.

I can assure you that most people living within 2 miles of the City of Newburgh crime zone are aware of it. Most of those living within 2 miles of the city have strong ties to it in one way or another. That said, they are also aware that it has pretty much no impact on the quality of their lives, because it hasn't.

The only property crime and quality of life problems that impacted my family while living in Balmville were perpetrated by the spoiled brat kids of our neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York