Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 AM

34 posts, read 126,780 times

Advertisements

We left Putnam County two years ago for NC. We hate it here and are planning to move back. Does anyome know the current property and school tax rates for Brewster and Carmel? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongamonga View Post
We left Putnam County two years ago for NC. We hate it here and are planning to move back. Does anyome know the current property and school tax rates for Brewster and Carmel? Thanks for the help.
I'm sure a current resident will give you more up-to-date info than I can. I left Carmel for NC in Aug. '06 but my house didn't sell until Feb. '07. At that time, there was a 10% tax increase proposed. I had a 1488 sf house, in the Hamlet of Carmel on less than 1/4 acre with town water & sewer & our yearly taxes we up to $7500. My neighbor across the street was paying $15K in taxes on her 2800 sf house.

Where in NC are you? What is it that you hate about NC? I've been back to Carmel 3X's since we moved & I don't think I could ever move back there. Feel free to send me a DM.

BxRosie

Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
At that time, there was a 10% tax increase proposed. I had a 1488 sf house, in the Hamlet of Carmel on less than 1/4 acre with town water & sewer & our yearly taxes we up to $7500.
My house in a neighboring area is comparable in size and taxes. Our taxes have gone up. I also live in a special "water district" and pay an extra $1600 a year for the privilege.

A huge mall (Patterson Crossing) is proposed for the area- the residents are fighting it, for many reasons. My understanding is that the mall is supposed lower taxes by keeping shopping/tax dollars in the county, but some feel that the taxes will actually increase. They seem to be increasing anyway.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
My house in a neighboring area is comparable in size and taxes. Our taxes have gone up. I also live in a special "water district" and pay an extra $1600 a year for the privilege.

A huge mall (Patterson Crossing) is proposed for the area- the residents are fighting it, for many reasons. My understanding is that the mall is supposed lower taxes by keeping shopping/tax dollars in the county, but some feel that the taxes will actually increase. They seem to be increasing anyway.
Don't you just love it?! I remember when the Carmel school district kept having a vote until they got what they wanted which gave us a tax increase. Alot of my friends who still live there are concerned about being able to afford their homes because of the tax increases. Some have taken on 2nd jobs just to cover their tax bills. We were lucky to get out when we did.

I know someone who is involved with the group opposing Patterson Crossing being built. It is going to be a big project, I think larger than the Home Depot shopping area on rte 312 & I 84. Supposedly residents in the Brentwood Dr. area in Lake Carmel have been having ground water issues since they started some of the preliminary excavation for the project that is compromising their wells & septic systems. It will be interesting to see if this project ever gets built.

BxRosie

Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 AM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times
Quote:
Don't you just love it?! I remember when the Carmel school district kept having a vote until they got what they wanted which gave us a tax increase. Alot of my friends who still live there are concerned about being able to afford their homes because of the tax increases. Some have taken on 2nd jobs just to cover their tax bills. We were lucky to get out when we did.

I know someone who is involved with the group opposing Patterson Crossing being built. It is going to be a big project, I think larger than the Home Depot shopping area on rte 312 & I 84. Supposedly residents in the Brentwood Dr. area in Lake Carmel have been having ground water issues since they started some of the preliminary excavation for the project that is compromising their wells & septic systems. It will be interesting to see if this project ever gets built.

BxRosie
It's going to be ginormous and totally change the face of the county, and it's sad. The area needs jobs, but retail won't help much (I am not knocking retail, but how does one afford to live here on that kind of salary?)

Last summer I was taking photos near Lake Carmel, and there were several houses for sale. It's sad- that area is so lovely, and it's going to be overrun with traffic.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
It's going to be ginormous and totally change the face of the county, and it's sad. The area needs jobs, but retail won't help much (I am not knocking retail, but how does one afford to live here on that kind of salary?)

Last summer I was taking photos near Lake Carmel, and there were several houses for sale. It's sad- that area is so lovely, and it's going to be overrun with traffic.
The last I heard, the anchor stores were going to be Lowes, Walmart or Target & Sam's Club or Costco, along with alot of other stores/restaurants. The traffic is horrendous now, especially along Fair St., rte 6 & rte 52 during the "rush hour" & there really isn't much you can do about widening most of the roads there to alleviate some of the congestion.

I was back in Carmel the 1st weekend on Nov. There are tons of for sale signs everywhere you look. Some homes that went up for sale before mine are still on the market. A realtor friend said prices have dropped by 30% & more. I'm glad we took a hit & sold our house "as is". It was on the market for almost 3 mths before we got an offer (3 as a matter of fact). The new owner gutted it out & is in the middle of renovating it to flip it.

It IS a beautiful area. At least some of it will remain untouched because of the NYC watershed restrictions. Any place else is up for grabs.

BxRosie

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
Quote:
The last I heard, the anchor stores were going to be Lowes, Walmart or Target & Sam's Club or Costco, along with alot of other stores/restaurants. The traffic is horrendous now, especially along Fair St., rte 6 & rte 52 during the "rush hour" & there really isn't much you can do about widening most of the roads there to alleviate some of the congestion.

I was back in Carmel the 1st weekend on Nov. There are tons of for sale signs everywhere you look. Some homes that went up for sale before mine are still on the market. A realtor friend said prices have dropped by 30% & more. I'm glad we took a hit & sold our house "as is". It was on the market for almost 3 mths before we got an offer (3 as a matter of fact). The new owner gutted it out & is in the middle of renovating it to flip it.

It IS a beautiful area. At least some of it will remain untouched because of the NYC watershed restrictions. Any place else is up for grabs.

BxRosie
I don't really know if a Costco and Lowes would be the anchor. Lowes just opened a new store in Danbury within the last year and Costco has plans, yet to be approved, to build a new much larger store with a gas station in Brookfield about .5 north of its current store.

I was on Route 6 in Carmel 2 weekends ago doing some errands and the traffic was just terrible. I wouldn't even imagine what it would be with the mall.

Just across the line in CT where I do business, prices aren't dropping 30%. Prices are down about 2% with a little less business, but I have a ton of more business going on now than what I had last year.

I know all about the watershead issue since I had a recent client who has a relative that works managing it. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM

48 posts, read 149,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongamonga View Post

Putnam taxes are disgusting! Putnam in general is becoming disgusting ! We pay more and more taxes . Yet the *******s like bondi got rid of the recyling plant and now they want too get rid of the buses for the public transit system! If we are paying such high taxes in putnam we should be getting more services We get nothing . I say move too new fairfield or new milford ct you can live 10 minutes away from brewster and have new fairfields cheaper taxes . Move too dutchess or orange . Putnam is a total black hole . We can not compete with the other surrounding counties .

- I say get out of putnam in general go too one of the surrounding counties .

Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,364 times
get rid of bondi and boyrk. the are pricing seniors out of the county with all the tax increases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York