Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 AM

7 posts, read 32,097 times

Advertisements

Hey VA Yankee, Great post..good insight! I found the statement about the 7-11 observation to be great!! I sometimes hit the 7-11 late at night in Stony Point and I to have taken note to the others that venture out at night....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 24,303 times
Listen my best friend live in a part of springvalley called hillcrest and i love it up there. I'am trying to relocate there but i'm finding it hard for me to find a section 8 apartment and just because i have it people think different of you. I live in the nyc area and always had nice apartments with my section 8 it's just me a sbf and i'm sick of the city so i want to move up there so i'm still looking to relocate up there. My friend children go to good schools my friend have her own daycare business she's been a provider for 20 years in her home. So like someone said every where you go have it's bad area's but you just have to pick the right spot. Well good luck

Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,263 times
I am so sorry tohear about Spring Valley. I graduated from Spring Valley Sr. High in 1963. The education was outstanding and I actually managed to get a New York State Regents Scholarship. The chemistry I took in Hgh school used the same book that was used at the university I attended in Arizona. Talk about lousy schools, stay away from Arizona in general and Tucson in particular. Spring Vally was such a nice and quiet little town which was primarily Jewish, then. I had always been so impressed that the town leaders had enough foresight to purchase land for future expansion needs for schools.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff Sarge View Post
Hey VA Yankee, Great post..good insight! I found the statement about the 7-11 observation to be great!! I sometimes hit the 7-11 late at night in Stony Point and I to have taken note to the others that venture out at night....

Could you tell me more about Stony Point? How was the drive to 7/11 btw? I like the area, but I was kind of scared about the taxes. I was looking at some properties in the "Hills" area by the golf course. It just seems like everyone is trying to get out, when I am looking to take the plunge. I been researching for quite sometime now and still haven;t got much answers as to the future of the town. The RE agent isn;t much help, because they're trying to make a buck. I looked at Westchester but I am not happy with the housing stock. With the economy tanking, I just don;t know if I should close or get out while I can with a minimal loss. I would appreciate any insight....

Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM

197 posts, read 636,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Could you tell me more about Stony Point? How was the drive to 7/11 btw? I like the area, but I was kind of scared about the taxes. I was looking at some properties in the "Hills" area by the golf course. It just seems like everyone is trying to get out, when I am looking to take the plunge. I been researching for quite sometime now and still haven;t got much answers as to the future of the town. The RE agent isn;t much help, because they're trying to make a buck. I looked at Westchester but I am not happy with the housing stock. With the economy tanking, I just don;t know if I should close or get out while I can with a minimal loss. I would appreciate any insight....

I have lived in the North Rockland (Stony Point/Haverstraw) area my whole life. Stony Point is one town which also included the rural Tomkins Cove hamlet population of approx. 15,000. Haverstraw is another town which contains many villages (Haverstraw Village, West Haverstraw, Garnerville, Mount Ivy, Thiells, Pomona) population of approx 35000.. Both towns share a school district, community programs, etc. If you live in Stony Point your going to spend some time in Haverstraw for shopping and other activities. Stony Point really has no sketchy area's. Haverstraw on the other hand has quite a few especially in the village of Haverstraw. While Stony Point is not very diverse, Most residents grew up in town and went to a very diverse school system. You will see much more inter racial socialization than most other area's. There are really two sides of Stony Point- North of the Lowland bridge and South of Lowland bridge. The North is much more rural with older home's and much more history (Stony Point battlefield). The south end might as well be part of Haverstraw as it is mostly high ranch home's, strip store's etc. The town is also very blue collar. Most men work in civil service or some sort of trade...I have much more info, Let me know what you want to know.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM

40 posts, read 161,264 times
I was also considering Stony Point. Great question to ask original poster. I have heard stories about toxic waste and an old chemical plant that used to be in stony point. Any validity to health concerns in Stony Point? Also myself being Indian, I would love diversity. Is this something I can expect in Stony Point? How is Garnerville? What specific areas should I be staying away from in Haverstraw..I would like to know where the sketchy areas are..and where the good schools are too.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM

197 posts, read 636,360 times
There was an old plant on Holt/ Kay Fries Drive (industrial area- with new Shoprite)- which there is really no housing nearby besides a few streets in West Haverstraw which I surely wouldn't recommend... In Garnerville is part of Town of Haverstraw. The area's of Church and Wall St and surrounding I would avoid, also the apartments off of Route 202 (Kensington St- I forgot name of complex). Most of the downtown village of Haverstraw is an area to avoid also.. Stony Point and Haverstraw like I said share the same school district... There are 5 (soon 3 or 4) (Grades 1-4) Elementary Schools, 3 Middle Schools (5-7), a Junior High School (8-9) and a very large High School (10-12). I went to the school's in the area relatively recently, Some people say that they arent good schools... But they went all went to Lily White Rich Kid Clarkstown and Orangetown schools. Also, The large Hispanic population in the area unlike other nearby area's is mostly 2nd and 3rd generation hispanics (Haverstraw has had a very large hispanic population since the 60's) many of whom have lived in the area for generations.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
So many negative comments about Spring Valley. Like any other town you have your good and bad areas. worst school district is East Ramapo no doubt about that . Funding's , cuts, Mayor of Spring Valley has now been in the news more than it should be ... Political Politics issues all over . But Chestnut Ridge, Nyack, Hillcrest, they all have good and bad arrears but it is still better than the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc... it is quiet and a lot of peaceful places it is what you make of it and I have been here for 45 years.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Stay away from SV. The school district , the East Ramapo CSD is run by the Hasids, even though the students are predominantly Hispanic and black. That's all you need to know ma'am.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:49 PM

220 posts, read 125,764 times
SV is a dump. Stay away. Its now basically a Hasidic colony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York