Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 52,242 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to orange county. I need to know which town is better, Monroe, Blooming Grove, Chester, or Washingtonville. I also want to know about the taxes. Are they paid monthly or annually. Any help would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 23,868 times
When do you plan to move to the area? Each area you mention have very unique and different charactisics. Taxes are paid typicaly through an escrow account nad paid 2 different times a year. Town and County taxes in January, School in September. As a Realtor and a lifelong resident of the area Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-23-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeDad View Post
I plan on moving to orange county. I need to know which town is better, Monroe, Blooming Grove, Chester, or Washingtonville. I also want to know about the taxes. Are they paid monthly or annually. Any help would be most welcome.
Orange County is too country-ish for me...

Old 06-23-2008, 03:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Here's another question: why is Orange County in a New York City forum?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 AM

33 posts, read 189,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Here's another question: why is Orange County in a New York City forum?
This is a New York forum, we are talking about Orange County NY. I don't get your point. There is a NYC specific board with a link at the top of this page.

OP, someone else already answered about the taxes. So I won't go into that. As far a s towns, you should be more concerned with school districts, even if you don't have kids, for resale purposes. Out of the towns you suggested, Monroe has the better schools. But, it is very congested, has a huge community of Hesidics and on the weekends is packed with traffic from Woodbury Commons. Blooming Grove I believe some parts are Monroe schools, while other parts go to Washingtonville schools. Which I would avoid. Chester schools aren't great either. If I were you I would take trip to see all the areas, go visit the schools and read all the school reports. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 AM

18 posts, read 146,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
This is a New York forum, we are talking about Orange County NY. I don't get your point. There is a NYC specific board with a link at the top of this page.

OP, someone else already answered about the taxes. So I won't go into that. As far a s towns, you should be more concerned with school districts, even if you don't have kids, for resale purposes. Out of the towns you suggested, Monroe has the better schools. But, it is very congested, has a huge community of Hesidics and on the weekends is packed with traffic from Woodbury Commons. Blooming Grove I believe some parts are Monroe schools, while other parts go to Washingtonville schools. Which I would avoid. Chester schools aren't great either. If I were you I would take trip to see all the areas, go visit the schools and read all the school reports. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.
I would strongly disagree with you about Washingtonville school district. Yes, Monroe has better schools, but the school taxes are higher, the school district is so crowded that it’s hard for the teachers to notice a gifted child, so no matter how good the student is he/she will wind up in a regular class with a regular teacher. This is not a case in Washingtonville where kids are getting more attention, and if the child is above average he gets noticed almost immediately. Besides, on the money we saved on school taxes we are able to afford on-line classes with JH University that I think are much more valuable then graduating from Monroe-Woodbury school district. Also, if we are to compare school districts Monroe is very far behind Cornwall and Warwick.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM

33 posts, read 189,610 times
I was giving my opinion on the school districts on the towns the OP was looking into, he didn't mention Warwick as an option. You are right about Warwick schools being better than Monroe and everything you said about Monroe is true to a certain extent. Having said that, statistically Monroe schools score very well, and many kids do very well there. I am sure you would disagree with me on Washingtonville schools because you have a child in that school. I still stand by my opinion from experiences of friends of mine. There is no perfect school out there and there are some better than others. That is why I gave the advice I did to the OP and I'll quote myself here, " If I were you I would take trip to see all the areas, go visit the schools and read all the school reports. "

Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM

200 posts, read 561,532 times
Anecdotes are by far the worst way to choose a school district. Families are different, children are different, and each school has it's own atmosphere, stats, and comfortability. Agree that you must visit............your children are different then your neighbors and therefore require different settings and programs. Had a client who was anxious re a move to PB schools.....children were enrolled in leading Manhattan private institiutions with children of other high level executives.....made the move after extensive investigation and the children thrived..........were happier and achieved beyond the parents expectation. Unfortunately, this is also anecdotal evidence.........the key...hands on research. There are many affordable, easily accessible, and beautiful areas in OC that do not carry the rep of Warwick and MW.....please take a look...........

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times
Default Washingtonville School District

It was in The Times Herald Record today, that the Washingtonville graduating class of 2008, have received a record of 5.2 million dollars in scholarships. There are 429 kids in the graduating class. Not too shabby!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 90,842 times
Default Montgomery/Pine Bush area are best!!

My Sister works as a teacher in Monroe and she said it is a good school. Her husband is a teacher in our district Pine Bush. Our son loves it here. We live in the Town of Crawford which is Pine Bush Schools. Nice town, nice people and more affordable than Monroe. I have heard of problems in Washingtonville schools. Check out zip codes in Pine Bush and 12549 (also Pine Bush schools but more land per house). W have lived here for 4 years and are only moving because my husband got a job in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York