Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 08:59 AM

94,146 posts, read 125,007,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
You must work for the state.

If someone intentionally evades a toll, it is on them. The government still has the responsibility to track them down and enforce the rules. If not, it just emboldens others to break those rules. So even in this case, it still falls on government incompetence.

With "tolls by mail" a toll can only be paid if the bill is sent and received. Thirty days to receive a bill? That definitely points to a broken system. With today's systems, you could have a bill automatically generated and mailed before the driver gets home.

If it's not incompetence, it is corruption (more likely it is both).

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. There are places the rest stop is more convenient. There are places where it would be much smarter to get off at the next exit. (Not sure if the toll rates punish you for that).

Either way, that's not the point. The point is the government is now upset about a contract they entered into and apparently didn't read. Only a brain dead politician (in other words, every one of them in Albany) could do something like this.

I couldn't care less what is open or not on the thruway. I'd starve before I ate fast food from a highway rest stop. What burns me is the rampant idiocy in Albany that everyone keeps electing to office. This situation highlights how incredibly out-of-touch these politician are.

I actually posted a statement by the comptroller about the measures the state is taking to get those lost tolls a few pages back. So, there is a plan to get that lost revenue back.

The Erie Canal has nothing to do with the Thruway. What it needs or doesn't need has no bearing on the Thruway. Politicians pulled a fast one. Period. They found a way to continue a toll scheme that was legally required to end. In the private sector they would be fined and likely do jail time for bond fraud. This is Bernie Madoff level fraud.

When you get to write the rules, you can claim you never break the rules. Amazing what you can do when your entire job is spending an endless supply of other people's money.
Is it actually 30 days? This shows that you can pay by license before that time: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/index.html

As for the bill, it is actually for FUTURE contracts, not for current locations. So, the back and forth about what the bill was supposedly about wasn’t even factual. Plus, it is about options and revenue, which is very apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You must work for the state.

If someone intentionally evades a toll, it is on them. The government still has the responsibility to track them down and enforce the rules. If not, it just emboldens others to break those rules. So even in this case, it still falls on government incompetence.

With "tolls by mail" a toll can only be paid if the bill is sent and received. Thirty days to receive a bill? That definitely points to a broken system. With today's systems, you could have a bill automatically generated and mailed before the driver gets home.

If it's not incompetence, it is corruption (more likely it is both).

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. There are places the rest stop is more convenient. There are places where it would be much smarter to get off at the next exit. (Not sure if the toll rates punish you for that).

Either way, that's not the point. The point is the government is now upset about a contract they entered into and apparently didn't read. Only a brain dead politician (in other words, every one of them in Albany) could do something like this.

I couldn't care less what is open or not on the thruway. I'd starve before I ate fast food from a highway rest stop. What burns me is the rampant idiocy in Albany that everyone keeps electing to office. This situation highlights how incredibly out-of-touch these politician are.

The Erie Canal has nothing to do with the Thruway. What it needs or doesn't need has no bearing on the Thruway. Politicians pulled a fast one. Period. They found a way to continue a toll scheme that was legally required to end. In the private sector they would be fined and likely do jail time for bond fraud. This is Bernie Madoff level fraud.

When you get to write the rules, you can claim you never break the rules. Amazing what you can do when your entire job is spending an endless supply of other people's money.
I actually posted a statement by the comptroller about the measures the state is taking to get those lost tolls a few pages back. So, there is a plan to get that lost revenue back.

Is it actually 30 days? This shows that you can pay by license before that time: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/index.html Sometimes people need to be empowered with complete information and not information to fulfill an agenda or one experience, real or perceived.

As for the bill, it is actually for FUTURE contracts, not for current locations. So, the back and forth about what the bill was supposedly about wasn’t even factual. Plus, it is about options and revenue, which is very apparent.

I agree that the Erie Canal doesn’t have anything to do with the Thruway, but it fell under its funding jurisdiction due to not being covered under the state DOT. Now it is with NYPA, which it still doesn’t have anything to do with that. Hence, why I said that it likely should have its own agency/authority.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:15 AM

5,789 posts, read 4,170,581 times
Quote:

That's why I tend to vote for smaller government and lower taxes. It's ALL corruption. And if a politician offers you something, it has to be taken from another first. It's not the politicians money, but they are the only one that benefits.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:52 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,552,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They have a plan! Amazing. I bet the plan is to make a plan to have a meeting to craft a letter.

Seriously... if it's about revenue they have already left a large amount of money on the table. It's total incompetence that it has gone this far for this long. There shouldn't be a "plan." The money should already be collected.

Quote:
Is it actually 30 days? This shows that you can pay by license before that time: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/cashless/index.html Sometimes people need to be empowered with complete information and not information to fulfill an agenda or one experience, real or perceived.
I have no idea how long it takes. My reference was to another post in this thread.

Also, "tolls by mail" implies you will receive the bill in the mail. Are people expected to arrive home and go online to see what tolls they may owe? I'd wait for a "real" bill in the mail before I "perceive" the "experience" of paying. (no idea what you mean by fulfilling agendas).

It's not "tolls by go online when you get home and navigate our 1995 era website that we overpaid for."

Quote:
Future contracts, yes. I made no statement to the contrary. My point is that the issue was raised AFTER the current contract was signed. If it's an issue at all, one of the moron squad in Albany might have thought about this already.

About options? That's funny. About revenue? Seems NYS gets .84% of the gross, so that is a factor. Again, if they are losing money why didn't anyone think of that BEFORE the current contract was signed?

The ONLY reason this is an issue at all is politics. The political leanings of Albany align with certain easily offended demographics. These people have a dislike for CFA. It amazes me that CFA was allowed at all. There must have been a hefty donation to someone's campaign fund.

Past, future, whatever... by complaining about it at all they are admitting someone (likely many) screwed up, including elected officials. Let's have their names and get their resignations. If it's that important, a fix on future contracts doesn't cut it. Does this mistake and "lost revenue" mean I have to pay higher tolls? Let's make those responsible pay for the "lost revenue."

Side note: when it's the government, it is not "revenue" it is "taxes."

Quote:
I agree that the Erie Canal doesn’t have anything to do with the Thruway, but it fell under its funding jurisdiction due to not being covered under the state DOT. Now it is with NYPA, which it still doesn’t have anything to do with that. Hence, why I said that it likely should have its own agency/authority.
I admire your resolve in being an apologist for this dysfunctional and corrupt state. Just like a good politician, you avoid the central issue.

It doesn't matter what the Erie Canal needed. It was merely a trick to keep the Thruway Authority alive and continue the tolls. Even more slight-of-hand when the Canal was separated, but the tolls remained. It is a flat out lie and a broken promise that we all continue to pay for. It's literally highway robbery.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
They have a plan! Amazing. I bet the plan is to make a plan to have a meeting to craft a letter.

Seriously... if it's about revenue they have already left a large amount of money on the table. It's total incompetence that it has gone this far for this long. There shouldn't be a "plan." The money should already be collected.

I have no idea how long it takes. My reference was to another post in this thread.

Also, "tolls by mail" implies you will receive the bill in the mail. Are people expected to arrive home and go online to see what tolls they may owe? I'd wait for a "real" bill in the mail before I "perceive" the "experience" of paying. (no idea what you mean by fulfilling agendas).

It's not "tolls by go online when you get home and navigate our 1995 era website that we overpaid for."

Future contracts, yes. I made no statement to the contrary. My point is that the issue was raised AFTER the current contract was signed. If it's an issue at all, one of the moron squad in Albany might have thought about this already.

About options? That's funny. About revenue? Seems NYS gets .84% of the gross, so that is a factor. Again, if they are losing money why didn't anyone think of that BEFORE the current contract was signed?

The ONLY reason this is an issue at all is politics. The political leanings of Albany align with certain easily offended demographics. These people have a dislike for CFA. It amazes me that CFA was allowed at all. There must have been a hefty donation to someone's campaign fund.

Past, future, whatever... by complaining about it at all they are admitting someone (likely many) screwed up, including elected officials. Let's have their names and get their resignations. If it's that important, a fix on future contracts doesn't cut it. Does this mistake and "lost revenue" mean I have to pay higher tolls? Let's make those responsible pay for the "lost revenue."

Side note: when it's the government, it is not "revenue" it is "taxes."

I admire your resolve in being an apologist for this dysfunctional and corrupt state. Just like a good politician, you avoid the central issue.

It doesn't matter what the Erie Canal needed. It was merely a trick to keep the Thruway Authority alive and continue the tolls. Even more slight-of-hand when the Canal was separated, but the tolls remained. It is a flat out lie and a broken promise that we all continue to pay for. It's literally highway robbery.
Again, the lack of payment is still on the driver of the Thruway. It is well known that the Thruway is a toll based highway and in fact much of I-90 from Boston to Chicago is a toll highway. The Massachusetts Turnpike is essentially the same thing: https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...ything-wbz-tv/

All I'm saying is that there are other options and ways to pay.

I mentioned the same thing about the contracts, as to why they would choose Chik-Fil-A, given their closed on Sundays policy. It is likely that they assumed that Chik-Fil-A would bring in the revenue that would supersede the amount another restaurant would bring in, but also didn't consider the availability aspect for those travelling on Sundays. So, in a way, CFA brings in more than most, if not all other restaurants, but they are closed on Sunday. What the state should have considered is to have another similar/viable option besides say a Starbucks like the Chittenango service area's only other option.

Nothing is for free and actually the Thruway is essentially a "pay to use" highway. You don't have to use it and if you take that system out, you just replace it with a higher gas tax to keep it running/maintained. Meaning, you get hit either way, but at least you have a choice whether to use it or not regarding this highway. Keep in mind that it does not get federal, state or local tax dollars.

I'm not being an apologist for the state government, as I just mentioned the details behind why the tolls were used for the Erie Canal, which you had no idea that it was currently under NYPA as of several years ago. It is called giving the public the complete or comprehensive information versus just complaining about whatever topic comes up non stop without any other information/solution/explanation. All I really do is let people have their say, but I actually go and check if everything being said is true. Many times, there is information that may get left out or that isn't mentioned in many posts.

As mentioned, perhaps the current Canal Corporation needed to be more self sufficient and get it's own revenue: https://www.canals.ny.gov/
https://www.canals.ny.gov/about/inde...er%20Authority.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-09-2024 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, the lack of payment is still on the driver of the Thruway. It is well known that the Thruway is a toll based highway and in fact much of I-90 from Boston to Chicago is a toll highway. The Massachusetts Turnpike is essentially the same thing: https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...ything-wbz-tv/

All I'm saying is that there are other options and ways to pay.

I mentioned the same thing about the contracts, as to why they would choose Chik-Fil-A, given their closed on Sundays policy. It is likely that they assumed that Chik-Fil-A would bring in the revenue that would supersede the amount another restaurant would bring in, but also didn't consider the availability aspect for those travelling on Sundays. So, in a way, CFA brings in more than most, if not all other restaurants, but they are closed on Sunday. What the state should have considered is to have another similar/viable option besides say a Starbucks like the Chittenango service area's only other option.

Nothing is for free and actually the Thruway is essentially a "pay to use" highway. You don't have to use it and if you take that system out, you just replace it with a higher gas tax to keep it running/maintained. Meaning, you get hit either way, but at least you have a choice whether to use it or not regarding this highway. Keep in mind that it does not get federal, state or local tax dollars.

I'm not being an apologist for the state government, as I just mentioned the details behind why the tolls were used for the Erie Canal, which you had no idea that it was currently under NYPA as of several years ago. It is called giving the public the complete or comprehensive information versus just complaining about whatever topic comes up non stop without any other information/solution/explanation. All I really do is let people have their say, but I actually go and check if everything being said is true. Many times, there is information that may get left out or that isn't mentioned in many posts.

As mentioned, perhaps the current Canal Corporation needed to be more self sufficient and get it's own revenue: https://www.canals.ny.gov/
https://www.canals.ny.gov/about/inde...er%20Authority.

We get it for the hundredth time!!!

But speaking of leaving out comprehensive information, you NEVER acknowledge that most everything we consumers in NY are delivered by trucks traveling the thruway. The trucks pay tolls, and by natural law, are passed to the final user, you and me. So you don't actually have to travel the thruway yourself to be paying those tolls.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
We get it for the hundredth time!!!

But speaking of leaving out comprehensive information, you NEVER acknowledge that most everything we consumers in NY are delivered by trucks traveling the thruway. The trucks pay tolls, and by natural law, are passed to the final user, you and me. So you don't actually have to travel the thruway yourself to be paying those tolls.
We've also discussed the truck aspect many times and how truckers that use the Thruway also get a Truck Mileage Tax exemption, as mentioned in this older thread from about forum: https://www.expeditersonline.com/for...emption.52696/ , as well as here, which also has been posted before: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bull...rt%20the%20tax.

Even then, not all trucks take the Thruway to deliver goods to cities/towns/businesses across the state and you have to actually consume those products that the trucks that use the Thruway carry. So, that is more of a stretch, as it would come down to those other factors.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:50 PM

After waiting 6 weeks to pay a bill from the thruway (they said they would send one in under 30 days), I looked it up and paid it. But how stupid and inefficient their system is. I'm not surprised they are loosing so much money.

But typical of NY, making it harder on the consumer. Bring back the toll booths. They were cheaper and more efficient.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 801,388 times
I blame chick fil a not being open on Sundays for this error. Easily could have been avoided.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I blame chick fil a not being open on Sundays for this error. Easily could have been avoided.
I agree. Let's make them be open 8 days a week. It was an old Beetles song, so it must be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York