Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 07:12 AM

96 posts, read 94,473 times

Advertisements

In the Ithaca area, which sections or nearby towns would be noted as having higher crime than other parts of the area?

In other words, if I wanted to seek out the areas in the Ithaca area with the lowest crime rates and avoid the areas with the highest crime rates, where should I focus?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 10:26 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Historically, the South Side had/has a rep, but while there is crime, I wouldn’t necessarily call any area of the city high crime.

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, where would you be coming from? I’m asking only to potentially offer an area or community that would fit what you are looking for.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:57 AM

136 posts, read 135,949 times
The problem is that with the changes to NY bail laws a couple of years ago, crime is rampant by comparison to historical norms. When I grew up in Ithaca there weren't 20+ shootings in a year. There weren't multiple home invasions in a single year. The more recent transplants who've moved here from more urban areas probably think that sort of thing is normal, but it never was.
Since Obamas push to put low income residents into every neighborhood, no place is safe. You can steer clear of known bad areas like the corner of Plain and State, but you could move onto the wrong block in Groton or T-burg and still unwittingly find yourself being preyed upon. The size of the locale doesn't matter because with the push of TCAT into the rural villages DSS hasn't seen any issues with dumping its criminally minded charges into the villages.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:04 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
While a county away..I have connections to numerous, long time, Tompkins County/Ithaca folks. Your post explained the current situation/as regards crime perfectly.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
The problem is that with the changes to NY bail laws a couple of years ago, crime is rampant by comparison to historical norms. When I grew up in Ithaca there weren't 20+ shootings in a year. There weren't multiple home invasions in a single year. The more recent transplants who've moved here from more urban areas probably think that sort of thing is normal, but it never was.
Since Obamas push to put low income residents into every neighborhood, no place is safe. You can steer clear of known bad areas like the corner of Plain and State, but you could move onto the wrong block in Groton or T-burg and still unwittingly find yourself being preyed upon. The size of the locale doesn't matter because with the push of TCAT into the rural villages DSS hasn't seen any issues with dumping its criminally minded charges into the villages.
Wait…Groton and Trumansburg have bad blocks? I know there have been incidents here and there at select apartments in the general area, but that sounds like something consistent.

Also, hasn’t TCAT have rural routes for decades?

Old 01-18-2023, 12:51 PM

96 posts, read 94,473 times
Are there any statistics that directly tie rising crime rates to bail reform rules?

Any statistics on crime rates in the Ithaca area over the last five years? ten years?

I've spent quite a bit of time in these past few months driving around and looking at small towns and small cities in upstate New York - mostly CNY.

Most of the folks there tell me that rising crime and homelessness (at rates not heard of only a couple decades ago) - are linked to increased illegal drug use and the illegal drug trade.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBottomBlues View Post
Are there any statistics that directly tie rising crime rates to bail reform rules?

Any statistics on crime rates in the Ithaca area over the last five years? ten years?

I've spent quite a bit of time in these past few months driving around and looking at small towns and small cities in upstate New York - mostly CNY.

Most of the folks there tell me that rising crime and homelessness (at rates not heard of only a couple decades ago) - are linked to increased illegal drug use and the illegal drug trade.
This is something that really hasn't been talked about on here, but that likely plays a part, given this information: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ca...ary+18%2C+2023

I don't think this is something that is unique to the Ithaca area or NY State, but this is a factor that may get overlooked in recent years.

This is a crime index on the website for the city that goes up to 2019: https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-New-York.html

Here is a Community Dashboard: https://www.cityofithaca.org/752/Community-Dashboard (go to Filter menu to update it)

Old 01-18-2023, 02:25 PM

978 posts, read 676,081 times
I would be more concerned with NYC Mayor Adams shipping illegal, I mean migrants up to your cities than bail reform. Hang on to your coats, Dora and Diego are coming to a small upstate city near you!

Old 01-30-2023, 08:21 AM

136 posts, read 135,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wait…Groton and Trumansburg have bad blocks? I know there have been incidents here and there at select apartments in the general area, but that sounds like something consistent.

Also, hasn’t TCAT have rural routes for decades?
Groton is too small to have "bad blocks", more like bad addresses that started out as a single bad apple in the barrel and then the cancer spread from there.

Yes, at this point TCAT has had rural routes for decades, but that is when the problems started for the rural villages. Prior to TCAT running to the villages DSS and Probation were more or less obligated to keep their charges within Ithaca city limits, where the larger IPD could keep an eye on them. Once the section 8/ probation crowd was moved to villages where there wasnt on-duty 24 hour police coverage, the criminally minded people pretty quickly figure out when the on-duty village officers clocked out.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
Groton is too small to have "bad blocks", more like bad addresses that started out as a single bad apple in the barrel and then the cancer spread from there.

Yes, at this point TCAT has had rural routes for decades, but that is when the problems started for the rural villages. Prior to TCAT running to the villages DSS and Probation were more or less obligated to keep their charges within Ithaca city limits, where the larger IPD could keep an eye on them. Once the section 8/ probation crowd was moved to villages where there wasnt on-duty 24 hour police coverage, the criminally minded people pretty quickly figure out when the on-duty village officers clocked out.
Where is the Tompkins County Sheriffs in regards to coverage outside of the city of Ithaca?

Also, what about the criminals that were likely already out there during their dirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York