Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 12:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’ll never fly. The progressives won’t allow it.
Tappan is Native American, which we are not allowed to do anymore.
So while I welcome getting rid of governor dipshts name, lord only knows what they will ultimately replace it with.
The name has been used for that part of the hudson headwaters since like the 1600s... I'm sure they'll be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 03:39 PM

20,128 posts, read 20,929,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
The name has been used for that part of the hudson headwaters since like the 1600s... I'm sure they'll be ok.
I would not put anything past these progressives.
Governor Hackle made it a law that any schools with Native American mascots/names/etc to drop them, or they would be dropped. Meaning cut off from state aid AND, the firing of all administration. I mean that is some total next level communism right there.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:01 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,065,122 times
I say put it to a vote...

Since this is technically the second Tappan Zee Bridge and many have stood in judgement over the current name of the bridge might I suggest...

"T-2 Judgement Day"

Or you could simply translate "Crosses The River" to French...

"Traverse La Riviere"

Old 02-24-2023, 04:32 PM

Let’s just call it The Pataki Bridge.
Just, because.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:45 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,123,279 times
I like naming it "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."

Old 02-24-2023, 07:02 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
I would not put anything past these progressives.
Governor Hackle made it a law that any schools with Native American mascots/names/etc to drop them, or they would be dropped. Meaning cut off from state aid AND, the firing of all administration. I mean that is some total next level communism right there.
Actually, there are organizations like the National Congress of American Indians and the American Psychological Association that called for the push to change Native American nicknames for a while before the state "took it there". Some schools have already done it on their own as well. https://www.northcountrypublicradio....%20to%20comply.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, there are organizations like the National Congress of American Indians and the American Psychological Association that called for the push to change Native American nicknames for a while before the state "took it there". Some schools have already done it on their own as well. https://www.northcountrypublicradio....%20to%20comply.
Yeah some schools were doing it because of protesting by progressive bleeding heart idiots.
But it got to the point where too many districts were resisting, most, if not all through transparent community involved board meetings or votes or whatever. Ya know, the people spoke, they either voted to keep it or change it. But then Governor Hitler had to step in with the death knell. It is totally blatantly a communist move on the states part, no question about it. Totally sickening.
And it’s totally ridiculously unfounded. These names and mascots were chosen as respect and celebration of native Americans, and area history, not a mockery or to be offensive. It’s just soooo stupid and petty.

Just wanted to add…ever hear about that progressive city jackass that was just passing through Swastika NY and had a complete meltdown, had an epic a hissy fit and tried to make the town change its name? In a place he doesn’t even remotely live near? I mean really, WTF are you pal? GTH out of here with your progressive bleeding heart nonsense. People like this need a beating. They really do.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:41 AM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Yeah some schools were doing it because of protesting by progressive bleeding heart idiots.
But it got to the point where too many districts were resisting, most, if not all through transparent community involved board meetings or votes or whatever. Ya know, the people spoke, they either voted to keep it or change it. But then Governor Hitler had to step in with the death knell. It is totally blatantly a communist move on the states part, no question about it. Totally sickening.
And it’s totally ridiculously unfounded. These names and mascots were chosen as respect and celebration of native Americans, and area history, not a mockery or to be offensive. It’s just soooo stupid and petty.

Just wanted to add…ever hear about that progressive city jackass that was just passing through Swastika NY and had a complete meltdown, had an epic a hissy fit and tried to make the town change its name? In a place he doesn’t even remotely live near? I mean really, WTF are you pal? GTH out of here with your progressive bleeding heart nonsense. People like this need a beating. They really do.
To be honest, I don’t think it is always a “bleeding heart liberal” that suggests a change. It comes from those that are Native American themselves.

The only school district I know of where it was a big deal was Cambridge in Washington County, where it has been a heated subject.

Also, even with the Swastika aspect, some may know that it has also been used as an Indian/South Asian sign of peace/well being in religious circles. So, even that may come down to what people know about the word/symbol.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I don’t think it is always a “bleeding heart liberal” that suggests a change. It comes from those that are Native American themselves.

The only school district I know of where it was a big deal was Cambridge in Washington County, where it has been a heated subject.

Also, even with the Swastika aspect, some may know that it has also been used as an Indian/South Asian sign of peace/well being in religious circles. So, even that may come down to what people know about the word/symbol.
The natives get a pass. Thing is, most of this crap is instigated by some progressive liberal white woman.
And it’s a mixed bag with the natives. Some couldn’t care less about this stuff, some have issues with it.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:42 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Maybe off-topic but I visited Utica in fall 1969. My parents' friend had a daughter a year younger than me. I went to her Sunday school in the synagogue. There were swastikas in the floor tiles. I was very upset.

This girl's parents explained that they were Amerindian and not Nazi symbols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York