Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 12:32 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,296,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, there are organizations like the National Congress of American Indians and the American Psychological Association that called for the push to change Native American nicknames for a while before the state "took it there". Some schools have already done it on their own as well. https://www.northcountrypublicradio....%20to%20comply.

Florida supports Native Americans and honors them by having the Florida State University Seminoles.

"What about the Florida State Seminoles?

We asked FSU and the Seminole Tribe of Florida if there were any discussions about changing FSU’s name, logo or chants.

“Right now, we really have nothing new to report about our continued solid partnership with the Seminole Tribe of Florida…” said Elizabeth Hirst, FSU’s chief of staff and a liaison to the tribe.

“Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.”

The tribe collaborates with the university and athletic department. It approved the regalia used by Osceola, the student who plants the flaming spear at midfield, and consulted with FSU on its redesigned uniforms in 2014; the markings on the football team’s sleeves show the tribe’s symbols for arrow, man on horse and fire."

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/semi...oles-nickname/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 06:39 PM

93,893 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Florida supports Native Americans and honors them by having the Florida State University Seminoles.

"What about the Florida State Seminoles?

We asked FSU and the Seminole Tribe of Florida if there were any discussions about changing FSU’s name, logo or chants.

“Right now, we really have nothing new to report about our continued solid partnership with the Seminole Tribe of Florida…” said Elizabeth Hirst, FSU’s chief of staff and a liaison to the tribe.

“Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.”

The tribe collaborates with the university and athletic department. It approved the regalia used by Osceola, the student who plants the flaming spear at midfield, and consulted with FSU on its redesigned uniforms in 2014; the markings on the football team’s sleeves show the tribe’s symbols for arrow, man on horse and fire."

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/semi...oles-nickname/
Yes and an interesting twist in regards to Seminoles, which gets its names from the Spanish word for “runaway”, is that many are of African descent, as they assimilated with the Creek in Florida and parts of Georgia and Alabama. They are similar to the Lumbee in Robeson County NC near where my mom is from in SC(and who has family in that part of NC),which has been called a Tri racial isolate due to having a similar background of African and European descent mixed in. Think about the Shinnecock on Long Island as well. So, some Native groups vary based on historical factors and may take a different stance for different reasons.

In relation to the Tappan, I don’t think reverting back to the Tappan Zee bridge would be an issue.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:50 PM

20,220 posts, read 20,990,692 times
Lol. The LI shinnecocks at best have maybe a trace of native Americans blood in their veins.
Elizabeth Warren may actually be more Native American.
The LI Shinnecocks are so watered down it’s ridiculous.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:01 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,597,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’ll never fly. The progressives won’t allow it.
Tappan is Native American, which we are not allowed to do anymore.
So while I welcome getting rid of governor dipshts name, lord only knows what they will ultimately replace it with.
You think you know progressives so well, don't you? Most of us like historic names and places to be preserved. I have four friends who live on the Nyack side and have worked to return the name to "Tappan Zee".

What is wrong with using native American words? "Tappan" is a NA word, and "Zee" is Dutch. Both peoples made robust contributions to the Hudson Valley, and many areas in the NY Metro area and their names are left in many a from the Bronx to the Bowery, New Utrect, Brooklyn, Kinderhook, Brookyn, Voorheesville, Amsterdam NY, Dwars Kill, Hasbrouk Heights N.J. and so many others.

I don't hate the Cuomo family, but I have reverence for history, that is much more important.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:24 AM

5,892 posts, read 3,001,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You think you know progressives so well, don't you? Most of us like historic names and places to be preserved. I have four friends who live on the Nyack side and have worked to return the name to "Tappan Zee".

What is wrong with using native American words? "Tappan" is a NA word, and "Zee" is Dutch. Both peoples made robust contributions to the Hudson Valley, and many areas in the NY Metro area and their names are left in many a from the Bronx to the Bowery, New Utrect, Brooklyn, Kinderhook, Brookyn, Voorheesville, Amsterdam NY, Dwars Kill, Hasbrouk Heights N.J. and so many others.

I don't hate the Cuomo family, but I have reverence for history, that is much more important.
I like this. Well put.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:08 AM

I am totally 100% down with going back to Tappen Zee. No question.
In fact, I totally unequivocally support celebrating and honoring Native American history & culture.
But many people have issues with it, calling it racist, disrespectful and whatever.
And those many people are NOT Native American.
If actual native Americans take issue with certain things, that should be totally respected.
And if they don’t, that needs to be respected as well.
It’s their history, their culture.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:20 AM

93,893 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
I am totally 100% down with going back to Tappen Zee. No question.
In fact, I totally unequivocally support celebrating and honoring Native American history & culture.
But many people have issues with it, calling it racist, disrespectful and whatever.
And those many people are NOT Native American.
If actual native Americans take issue with certain things, that should be totally respected.
And if they don’t, that needs to be respected as well.
It’s their history, their culture.
Do you have specific examples related to the Tappan Zee bridge itself?

Old 02-27-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have specific examples related to the Tappan Zee bridge itself?
No. My original post was sarcasm, but somehow it went down the rabbit hole.
And here we are.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:33 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,069,302 times
Quote:
Lol. The LI shinnecocks at best have maybe a trace of native Americans blood in their veins.
Elizabeth Warren may actually be more Native American.
The LI Shinnecocks are so watered down it’s ridiculous.
As "politically incorrect" it may be to acknowledge this, it is likely true.

Quote:
No. My original post was sarcasm, but somehow it went down the rabbit hole.
And here we are.
The Dutch, as I understand it, treated the Native Americans fairly well. They established good trade relationships and also intermarried with them. There were also misunderstandings, the occasional massacre on one side or the other, etc.

If one were to filter the naming of the bridge through current "Woke" and "Cancel Culture" filters heated debates, rifts, divisions, choosing "sides" may well ensue.

The Hudson River and Valley have other figures, notable individuals, etc. to consider such as:

1. Artists from the "Hudson River School" of painting such as Frederic Edwin Church, Jasper Francis Cropsey, Albert Bierstadt, etc.

2. Washington Irving lived just below the location of the bridge.

3. Pete Seeger lived in Beacon N.Y. and was involved in and supported the Riverkeeper organization.

These just a few worthy bridge name candidates off the top of my head....

Old 02-28-2023, 07:58 PM

I just want it to be the Tappan Zee again, pretend the Cuomo stain never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York