Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 10:54 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
So you saw the whole video from that day? Most people haven't. Otherwise, what you said above is just words.
I saw a good portion of the video before it hit the news. So, that still indicates a big difference between those cases, where Timpa wasn’t mentioned until it was used by some to take attention away from the Floyd incident.

Also, what the pundit(Coleman Hughes is a known “conservative” pundit) mentioned has and can apply to many people of other races. He didn’t mention the rate(key word) aspect like this: https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...-as-in-whites/

That means there are many unmentioned or lesser mentioned interactions that involve people of other races as well. Keep in mind that this doesn’t include incidents where people were acting as enforcers, but aren’t law enforcement, were involved.

If anything, you are admitting that there is an issue with police brutality I take it.

Anyway, this is getting away from the topic and the fact that those involved in the incident in the OP have been arrested. https://www.city-data.com/forum/66535883-post35.html

So, it looks like they are being held responsible for their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 11:41 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
No, don't put words in my mouth. I think police have a very difficult and thankless job. They put their lives on the line every day, and are always second guessed by people who weren't at the scene and usually have nothing positive to add.

What really is ridiculous is those shouting the loudest, are supporters of policies that have created these lifestyles and situations where people put their own life on the line, many on a daily basis.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Also, what the pundit(Coleman Hughes is a known “conservative” pundit) mentioned has and can apply to many people of other races. He didn’t mention the rate(key word) aspect like this: https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...-as-in-whites/
Oh, I've never heard of Coleman Hughes before. Thank you for introducing me. There are soooo many black conservatives lately that I can't keep up. They must be on to something.

bmj?? ha ha. To easy to poke holes in that one. Maybe you should check the FBI stats.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, I've never heard of Coleman Hughes before. Thank you for introducing me. There are soooo many black conservatives lately that I can't keep up. They must be on to something.

bmj?? ha ha. To easy to poke holes in that one. Maybe you should check the FBI stats.
What does that have to do with the topic? Besides, being “conservative” is loaded and can be in terms of many things or can mean something different to different people.

Also, what are the holes in the data? Just saying so doesn’t make it incorrect and the point still stands. https://policeviolencereport.org/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4634878/

Again, to address the actual OP, those involved are being held responsible.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2024 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What does that have to do with the topic? Besides, being “conservative” is loaded and can be in terms of many things or can mean something different to different people.

Also, what are the holes in the data? Just saying so doesn’t make it incorrect and the point still stands. https://policeviolencereport.org/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4634878/

Again, to address the actual OP, those involved are being held responsible.

"Conservative" is loaded????

If people don't understand the meaning, why not??

It's no wonder there are still issues amongst the population. Many people thrive on keeping the tension alive.

Old 03-16-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
"Conservative" is loaded????

If people don't understand the meaning, why not??

It's no wonder there are still issues amongst the population. Many people thrive on keeping the tension alive.
Who cares? Loaded means that one could be so in one way, but not in another. Simple example. This isn't even the thread topic though...

People have to learn to stay on topic first.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2024 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 06:35 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
chk - though I thank you for your military service - it has nothing to do on whether or not you know what's going on in the streets today. You look at everything through rose colored glasses. I'm not afraid - moved to a red state where there is lots of police presence and they actually arrest people and hold them. There was a reported situation down here that I wrote to the mayor about as I was concerned if the situation was true or not. He emailed me right back on Super Bowl Sunday and even gave me his cell phone number to call him if I had any other concerns - you don't see that happening in NYS.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
chk - though I thank you for your military service - it has nothing to do on whether or not you know what's going on in the streets today. You look at everything through rose colored glasses. I'm not afraid - moved to a red state where there is lots of police presence and they actually arrest people and hold them. There was a reported situation down here that I wrote to the mayor about as I was concerned if the situation was true or not. He emailed me right back on Super Bowl Sunday and even gave me his cell phone number to call him if I had any other concerns - you don't see that happening in NYS.
That's wasn't the point of me mentioning that and no, I know what is going on in terms of not everything being viewed through "rose colored glasses". That was my one point in that regard.

My other point was that your example shows that people get arrested for crimes in NY and it was a crime that could have occurred decades ago. So, your example doesn't apply to your assumption.

Also, if you directly contact an executive of a municipality here, it may depend on the structure involved. Meaning, some municipalities are only covered by a county agency. Municipality size may also come into play. So, it may be a matter of where you are.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:27 AM

To take it back to the OP, crime is up. The no bail laws, biased judges have allowed the criminals to feel emboldened, so they will continue to commit crimes, and maybe more violent the next time.

When Rudy Guliani first became mayor of NYC, he instituted a "broken window" law, where crime was delt with at lower degrees, and stopped more violent crimes. We are now doing just the opposite.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 2,485 times
Crime is literally dropping to pre-pandemic levels, which were already significantly lower than the peaks of the 80's and 90's. If you want crime to drop to an even lower level, then you'll need to target the causation of crime: poverty. Poverty is what drives people to join gangs, steal to survive, and normalize chaos. Since you're all afraid of crime and want it stopped, I'm sure you'll support things that'll reduce crime like safe and affordable access to abortions, childcare, paid parental leave, higher minimum wages, more investment into affordable housing (prioritizing making home ownership more accessible), incentivizing more grocery stores in food desserts or community gardening.

You'll support these things to reduce crime right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York