Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Yes, West Elmira is the "rich" section of town. But there is a 7-11 on the corner of Hoffman and Gray where you can score just about any kind of illegal substance at any time of day. Do a Google street-view of the area, and you'll see what I mean....there ARE some nicer homes, and then next door you'll see what was once a beautiful piece of architecture, now chopped up with multiple entrances, a rickety porch and/or roof, and garbage outside! As I said, Water and Gray Streets, along with Church Street, have some gorgeous old homes. However, many of them have deteriorated into multi-family rental units with little to no "pride of ownership" happening. The area is crowded, has persistent crime problems, and is not a first choice for most middle-income families of any race or ethnicity.

Anyway. Didn't mean to take over your thread to point out Elmira's flaws.
Interesting, given the info and the reputation of other sides of town. Just curious, but what are some of the other crime issues in that area?

Here are other areas that just miss in terms of the original criteria: Census Block Group 020705-2 in Oneida County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:07 AM

149 posts, read 303,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting, given the info and the reputation of other sides of town. Just curious, but what are some of the other crime issues in that area?
Well, this area is close to downtown...and Elmira's downtown is dying. Based on websites like this one -Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed- the downtown sees the most crime. However, the census block you've identified is adjacent to downtown, and the demarcation isn't that clear! And many of the crimes that are committed downtown are perpetrated by those who live around the area, since there isn't a great deal of low-cost housing in the immediate downtown. Also, uniform crime reports include violent and property crimes, but DON'T always consider arrests for drug possession and dealing. I know there have many several meth lab busts in the city in recent years, but I can't say for certain that they were in this specific neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM

Also, due to some re-alignment of the schools in the area, a LOT of people are trying to leave the city as a whole. There is now only one high school in the city, and this merger has resulted in some real problems. There was a fight/riot involving at least 19 students at the high school this past spring, and this happened at the school were Grades 8 and 9 are housed.
Student Attack At Ernie Davis Academy Sparks Controversy - WETM

(I know this isn't directly related to the question you asked....or even the thread in general!...but IMO it shows that the neighborhood boundaries in the city aren't so clear, and if anything are getting blurrier by the day.)

Old 06-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Well, this area is close to downtown...and Elmira's downtown is dying. Based on websites like this one - Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedhe downtown sees the most crime. However, the census block you've identified is adjacent to downtown, and the demarcation isn't that clear! And many of the crimes that are committed downtown are perpetrated by those who live around the area, since there isn't a great deal of low-cost housing in the immediate downtown. Also, uniform crime reports include violent and property crimes, but DON'T always consider arrests for drug possession and dealing. I know there have many several meth lab busts in the city in recent years, but I can't say for certain that they were in this specific neighborhood.
Actually, the census block group is an outer neighborhood adjacent to West Elmira, which is in the town of Elmira and away from Downtown. That source shows that it is in the 3rd safest area of the city/immediate area(W Walnut/W Church). I didn't see any activity on the spot crime map in that area either. It is bordered by Walnut to the east, Church to the north, West Elmira to the west and the Chemung River to the south. Census Block Group 000500-3 in Chemung County, New York So, it appears that things vary in terms of neighborhoods like cities generally do. This is the census block group right next to Downtown: Census Block Group 000600-3 in Chemung County, New York I just wanted to make sure the same area was being discussed or that things were clear.

Unfortunately, drugs are everywhere nowadays and some activity may be worse outside of cities like meth.

Also, Elmira having one high school may have been long over due, as bigger and similar cities/school districts such as Utica, Schenectady, Jamestown, Auburn, Niagara Falls, Rome, Ithaca, Binghamton and Watertown only have one public high school. I can see how people don't like that do to being use to having 2 HS's for so long and some may view it as less opportunity and may turn to sending their children to Notre Dame due to having a better opportunity to play sports or other extra curricular activities.

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Here are other areas that just miss in terms of the original criteria: Census Block Group 020705-2 in Oneida County, New York
More: Census Block Group 060600-4 in Jefferson County, New York

Census Block Group 060804-6 in Jefferson County, New York (on Fort Drum)
Census Block Group 060803-5 in Jefferson County, New York
Census Block Group 060803-1 in Jefferson County, New York
Census Block Group 060804-4 in Jefferson County, New York
Census Block Group 060803-4 in Jefferson County, New York
Census Block Group 060803-6 in Jefferson County, New York

According to the source used, the Watertown metro is the only metro in the state where the Black median household income is around the national average and is actually higher than the metro figure: Watertown, Fort Drum Micro Area - USA.comâ„¢
Watertown, Fort Drum Micro Area Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Census Block Group 020900-2 in Wayne County, New York

Census Block Group 020900-4 in Wayne County, New York

Census Block Group 022300-1 in Niagara County, New York

Census Block Group 020700-2 in Niagara County, New York

Census Block Group 021000-1 in Niagara County, New York

Census Block Group 020400-1 in Niagara County, New York (?)

Census Block Group 040700-3 in Orleans County, New York (?)

Census Block Group 041800-5 in Cayuga County, New York

Census Block Group 040200-5 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040100-3 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 040200-1 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 040100-5 in Rensselaer County, New York
Census Block Group 040100-2 in Rensselaer County, New York (all 3 fit original criteria)

Census Block Group 041200-2 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 041100-3 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 051600-1 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 051500-3 in Rensselaer County, New York

Census Block Group 014301-2 in Albany County, New York (?)

Census Block Group 001200-1 in Columbia County, New York

Census Block Group 001300-5 in Columbia County, New York

Census Block Group 001300-4 in Columbia County, New York (all 3 meet original criteria, ?)
Census Block Group 001200-3 in Columbia County, New York
Census Block Group 001300-3 in Columbia County, New York

Census Block Group 001100-3 in Columbia County, New York

Census Block Group 081000-1 in Greene County, New York

Census Block Group 081000-3 in Greene County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Some organizations/festivals/historical sites: Booker T. Washington Community Center

Greater Ithaca Activities Center | Ithaca, NY - Official Website

Juneteenth To Be Celebrated In Watertown | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Local News

NAACP New York State Conference - National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Broome County Urban League

Juneteenth Celebration this weekend in Dunkirk - ObserverToday.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Dunkirk | The Observer

Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum Peterboro NY, Abolitionist Movement Peterboro NY, Abolition of Slavery Peterboro NY,Anti Slavery Movement Peterboro NY

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nath...sa_Green_House
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...McKenzie_House
Underground Railroad | Visit Oswego County

African American Center for Cultural Development | Black Culture in Olean
Walking Tour of African American History in Olean including the UGRR | Historic Path of Cattaraugus County

Welcome to the Boys & Girls Club of Geneva
John W. Jones Museum, Elmira, New York

6th Annual Peterboro Emancipation Day in Peterboro, NY - Aug 1, 2015 12:00 AM | Eventful

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Phi_Alpha

Home - Solomon Northup Day

Freedom Festival | The Sanctuary for Independent Media

Hamilton Hill Arts Center: Juneteenth!

About SSCC - Ithaca Southside Community Center

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2015 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I think the John Jones Museum project has stalled. :/ The house is there still, but it isn't open to visit....several years ago they had a traveling exhiibit to raise awareness, but nothing has progressed since then.

The Chemung County Historical Society used to have a nice exhibit about Jones, the impact of the Civil War in the area, and other related topics. I haven't visited there lately, so I don't know if that was a rotating exhibit or a permanent one.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I think the John Jones Museum project has stalled. :/ The house is there still, but it isn't open to visit....several years ago they had a traveling exhiibit to raise awareness, but nothing has progressed since then.

The Chemung County Historical Society used to have a nice exhibit about Jones, the impact of the Civil War in the area, and other related topics. I haven't visited there lately, so I don't know if that was a rotating exhibit or a permanent one.
Do you know if this community center is still open?: cseop

I hope the John W. Jones project can come back, if it hasn't already.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 PM

More: SLIDESHOW: African American Family Fest is on this weekend - Niagara Gazette: Local News

14th Annual EOP Juneteenth Celebration - WETM

Juneteenth in Binghamton celebrates community

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2015 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York