Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 37,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
Unless you are paying cash for the home, you will end up taking out a mortgage. Most Mortgage Lenders are going to require that you "escrow" your taxes and home owners insurance-which really just means that your mortgage payment will include 1 months worth of taxes and insurance.

If you don't take a mortgage or if your lender allows, the town/county/state property taxes are paid in January and your school taxes (normally the larger of the two) are paid in September.

All of those towns are good towns depending on what exactly you are looking for. Monroe is generally one of the more sought after towns and school districts but the taxes and prices are normally higher there. Sometimes you can get more bang for your buck if you venture a little further than Monroe.

Good luck and feel free to ask away if you have any questions!

~Joey
You need to be aware that taxes in Warwick as all of Orange County are very expensive... and getting more expensive every year. Average home in Warwick is paying $7-8K per year in taxes. Most new homeowners end up paying more becuase of new assessments after the sale. I'm not trying to discourage you... just make you aware. If your used to paying $2500-$3K per year in taxes on a property in NYC expect to pay almost 3x's that in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 52,100 times
thank you for the info!! I am very excited for the move...bergen county is becoming very crowded and extremely expensive...warwick reminds me of where I grew up but when I was young! I think that I will love it up there!! Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 52,239 times
Thanxs for the info. We found a house in Chester that we like. We did the house inspection, but the central air conditioning and the pool could not be tested because of the cold weather. We asked that some money be put into escrow so that if there is anything wrong with these items, the seller could pay for the repairs. The sellers say no way, that we have to pay to have these items checked out. What is your advice?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeDad View Post
Thanxs for the info. We found a house in Chester that we like. We did the house inspection, but the central air conditioning and the pool could not be tested because of the cold weather. We asked that some money be put into escrow so that if there is anything wrong with these items, the seller could pay for the repairs. The sellers say no way, that we have to pay to have these items checked out. What is your advice?
Did you discuss this with your attorney? It's fairly normal to have a little money held back in escrow in the winter to ensure that the AC works come spring time, it's usually held back until 2 weeks after warm weather sets in giving the new owner enough time to check the system while not tying up the sellers money for too too long.

Most attorney's will work that into the contract.

~Joey

Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Smile Why Choose Warwick

Warwick is beautiful for a variety of reasons, one being the lack of proximity to major highways and rail service, but it's worth it to not have the blight that comes with that proximity.

The current government officials have been doing a fairly good job in keeping Warwick's rural character. However, the citizens of Warwick need to be more actively engaged in watching the decision-making taking place in this regard. If the scale ever tips toward greater suburbanism than what is currently existent in Warwick than the longer commute will not be worth it.

The real estate agents have the sellers'/landlords' best interests at stake. This is how the real estate industry is designed. You need to fully research everything yourself, not just in Warwick, but anywhere.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick2000 View Post
The real estate agents have the sellers'/landlords' best interests at stake. This is how the real estate industry is designed. You need to fully research everything yourself, not just in Warwick, but anywhere.
Not necessarily so....If the Realtor(R) is a Seller's Agent, then yes. If the agency relationship established is Buyer Agency, then the agent represents the Buyer's best interest. 75% of transactions in NYS (as per NAR) have a Buyer's Agent involved in the transaction representing the buyers needs.

My company will not even compensate a broker from another company unless that agent has established a Buyer's Agency relationship with their client as there is too much liability otherwise.

Most of this has come about in the last 5-10 years though, so unless you have bought or sold somewhat recently you probably wouldn't have known that. I hope I explained it well enough. If it is still unclear, let me know and I will expand.

~Joey

Old 03-01-2008, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 52,239 times
We spoke w/our atty, and some of the money will be held in escrow. Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York