Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 AM

46 posts, read 225,032 times

Advertisements

We just went under contract for a home in westtown/minisink. LOVE the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
If you move to Warwick, be prepared to pay a premium for your home. Home prices there tend to be 10-20% more than most other localities in the area. Also, commuting to Warwick is not as easy as other areas such as New Windsor, Cornwall, Monroe, Harriman, etc.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
Default Not fair....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlacey View Post
Monroe Woodbury is one of the best school districts in New York. also Warwick is a good school and nice town. Avoid Wasingtonville schools, Middletown and Newburgh schools. goodluck in your search

It's not fair (to say the least) to put Washingtonville school district in the "avoid" column with Middletown and Newburgh. The latter two are city school districts (along with non-city areas).

Do your research - Washingtonville Central School District has great academic, athletic, and music programs. Many students earn state level honors in a wide variety of area.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:26 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
It's not fair (to say the least) to put Washingtonville school district in the "avoid" column with Middletown and Newburgh. The latter two are city school districts (along with non-city areas).

Do your research - Washingtonville Central School District has great academic, athletic, and music programs. Many students earn state level honors in a wide variety of area.
I completely agree with you Nancy.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 AM

30 posts, read 37,650 times
I'm a lifelong Orange County resident and I'm originally from Warwick, NY (graduated in the 70's). Warwick is a beautiful area, however you should expect to spend 90 mins or more on a commute to Manhatten. Also expect the most expensive taxes in the entire county especially on new construction. Expect taxes as much as $12-15K per year on anything assessed over $500K. It's a beautiful area, but even on a $130K salary I can't really afford to buy there.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 24,418 times
Washingtonville, Cornwall, New Windsor, Montgomery...

Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 52,239 times
I am also looking to move to Orange county, and Iwas wondering if the towns my wife and I were interested in are good towns. We are looking at Monroe, Blooming Grove, Chester, and Washingtonville. We also want to know, are the taxes paid monthly or annually? It's our first time buying a home. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

7 posts, read 52,100 times
Hi, I am moving to warwick in may from bergen county with two young children..just wondering how it is to raise children in the area..I know schools are good and all...how is the weather..do you get alot of bad storms in the summer..how about snow in the winter? It seems like a great place to raise children and even the little league seems well organized..any ideas on where to meet other people with children during the summer? Thank you for your help!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeDad View Post
I am also looking to move to Orange county, and Iwas wondering if the towns my wife and I were interested in are good towns. We are looking at Monroe, Blooming Grove, Chester, and Washingtonville. We also want to know, are the taxes paid monthly or annually? It's our first time buying a home. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Unless you are paying cash for the home, you will end up taking out a mortgage. Most Mortgage Lenders are going to require that you "escrow" your taxes and home owners insurance-which really just means that your mortgage payment will include 1 months worth of taxes and insurance.

If you don't take a mortgage or if your lender allows, the town/county/state property taxes are paid in January and your school taxes (normally the larger of the two) are paid in September.

All of those towns are good towns depending on what exactly you are looking for. Monroe is generally one of the more sought after towns and school districts but the taxes and prices are normally higher there. Sometimes you can get more bang for your buck if you venture a little further than Monroe.

Good luck and feel free to ask away if you have any questions!

~Joey

Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner1308 View Post
Hi, I am moving to warwick in may from bergen county with two young children..just wondering how it is to raise children in the area..I know schools are good and all...how is the weather..do you get alot of bad storms in the summer..how about snow in the winter? It seems like a great place to raise children and even the little league seems well organized..any ideas on where to meet other people with children during the summer? Thank you for your help!
You will find that the weather isn't much worse than it is down in Bergen, maybe 5-10 degrees colder. The storms in the summer aren't any different than down there depending on where you are, although some parts of Warwick (Pine Island in particular) in the past couple of years has had some pretty bad flooding, but then again so has everywhere else with the storms we've had. Winter can sometimes be a little worse, but once again, not much and they really do a good job in Warwick with keeping the roads clean.

We don't have children, so I can't really help you there too much...but there are a couple of really gorgeous parks around Warwick. I'm someone on this forum will have some better info for you.

Good luck and welcome to Warwick!

~Joey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York