Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 AM

31 posts, read 153,270 times

Advertisements

No, never not a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,613 times
Default Ex-NYer's who don't miss it--why?

This might generate a lot of redundant and purely negative posts, so maybe a better way to put this is,

What negatives outweighed what positives and why?

I do notice a real split here between ex-Long Islanders and NY City-ers who don't miss NY and ex-Upstaters who do. Any thoughts on this, too/instead?

Happy Spring cold-snap to all, by the way!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM

77 posts, read 499,092 times
Default Here Is What I Miss From Lancaster/depew, Ny

Been away since 1977, we go back every 3-5 years or so. We moved to Omaha, Nebraska.
Here is what I miss;
The Bills......... its all college foot all here, no pro team.
The Sabre's..... no Pro hockey team here.

The cool summer nights.
The going to the beach.
The great camp grounds.
The Apple/Cider Mills in the fall.
Hard Cider.
Gennese Cream Ale.
The Museums.
Zorba's Texas Red Hots.
Casillo's Pizza and Wings.
Antenette Sweet's Sponge Candy.
Bingo at Our lady of Pompei.
hanging out at Como Park.
Dairian Lake State Park.
Top's Supermarket.
Salvator's Italian Gardens.
Dounuts and Cream on Transit and Broadway.
Fish Fry's on any Friday night not just for Lent .

I got to buy me a plane ticket....

Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,613 times
Salvator's! My dad used to bring us back stacks of Salvator's "money" when he visited Buffalo before we moved there when I was very young.

I would swindle the littler kids out of their Milk-Duds with a fistful of Salvator "money," swearing it was real "new" money.

Shoulda stayed in the swindling business--I coulda been a politician by now! Instead I semi-reformed and became a teacher....

Is it still in business? With all the tacky statuary out front? On Rt. 78/Transit Road, right?

A friend is bringing pizza, make right here in spicy (NOT) southwest Virginia, over tonight. He thinks it's good. He's from Baltimore. IT WILL MAKE ME SAD BECAUSE I GREW UP IN NEW YORK STATE. I will pretend to like it. Thank God my wife has accompanied me up there enough to have wanted to teach herself how to make the semi-real-thing....

Old 04-04-2007, 04:08 PM

523 posts, read 2,906,436 times
I was only in Manhattan for about 6 months last year and no I don't miss it at all. I liked the fact that there was a lot to do but I didn't like the fact that even though I had a high income level, I was living off of my savings while I was there! It was simply unaffordable and I lived like a college student (after having owned two very nice houses in the past). I had 75% of my things in storage and I lived in a 400 sq. ft, 5 story walk-up for $1,600 (which was actually quite a good deal--it's now renting for $1,850). It was really hot and smelly in the summer and really cold in the winter.

I also cook a lot so grocery shopping was a nightmare since I had to carry everything home. Everything was so expensive and hard to find that I had to do my meat shopping in one store, fruits and vegetables in another, I went to Chinatown for many of the spices I needed, and bulky items needed to be delivered. I was able to mooch rides to Target twice during my time there just so I could buy reasonably priced toiletries.

The one thing I will say is that the people were amazingly nice and helpful. It's funny because the reputation of New Yorkers is always that they're rude but I didn't feel that at all.

I'm glad that I got to try out the city for a few months and experience that lifestyle but I'm also glad I moved out!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 25,368 times
I moved to Las Vegas from Long Island almost 4 years ago. I currently reside in Los Angeles. I go to school out here.

I go back every 6 months. It's refreshing to go back to the small town mentality. I need to get away from Los Angeles sometimes. Get to eat all the good food. ESPECIALLY Pizza. I cannot find a good pizza place in LA.

Anyway, I miss Long Island sometimes, but I'm glad that I don't live there full time. I would love to move back someday, if I have kids. I would love to raise my kids on Long Island.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

55 posts, read 345,457 times
I was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island, married and moved further out on the Island and loved every minute of it... I thought I would die there, but my x husband got transferred to Texas (Yuk) so we lived there 5 years (5 too many) then I got a divorce and moved to Florida with my daughters to be near my older daughter(but I hate it here) Sadly I can never afford to return to my roots

I miss the people (friendy not like here) the food (good not like here) oh for a real pizza and good chinese food, did I mention a bakery (here they think its the one in Publix) the homes (cozy and warm not like here) the beaches (here they are full of string bikinis and tourist) the TREES (here they call a palm a tree ) and Xmas (doesn't feel the same here wearing shorts and decorating that palm)
Yes I will always be a Long Island Girl!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillylovelost View Post
I go back every 6 months. It's refreshing to go back to the small town mentality. I need to get away from Los Angeles sometimes. Get to eat all the good food. ESPECIALLY Pizza. I cannot find a good pizza place in LA..
Yeah, I was just thinking about this today! I said, "Man, I would love to get a nice slice of pizza, but LA's pizza houses suck!!" I'm tired of having to order a whole pie from Papa Johns just to get a decent slice of pizza.

Other things I miss:

Chicken wings and french fries from the corner Chinese restaurant
REAL bagels - Gotta travel hard to find these
Rice and beans cooked carribbean or PR style
Lasagna and Baked Ziti

Even the soul food restaurants out here are whack!

I guess a girl's gotta learn how to cook if she wants to eat some good food.

I am just too through with burritos, tacos, refried beans, sour cream, etc.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM

140 posts, read 606,414 times
I understand it is easy to become home sick, but some of these posts are so rude. Like "don't even bother trying to buy lox." Those types of comments are simply rude and unfair to people who have a different way of life or culture. Is it possible for every single place, city, town, and village to have the same foods, mannerisms, lifestyles, accent, etc? What would your response be if someone who moved to NY said "don't even bother trying to buy sweettea?" That's why so many transplants to other parts of the Country just don't make it. Aside from being homesick, which is understandable, they simply have no respect for another's culture.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Are you a New Yorker? If not, then you'll NEVER understand what we're talking about.

If you are, then leave us alone to reminisce(sp?) about the old days.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
I understand it is easy to become home sick, but some of these posts are so rude. Like "don't even bother trying to buy lox." Those types of comments are simply rude and unfair to people who have a different way of life or culture. Is it possible for every single place, city, town, and village to have the same foods, mannerisms, lifestyles, accent, etc? What would your response be if someone who moved to NY said "don't even bother trying to buy sweettea?" That's why so many transplants to other parts of the Country just don't make it. Aside from being homesick, which is understandable, they simply have no respect for another's culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York