Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong....there have been positives about living in the South, such as the weather durring early spring (usually my least favorite time of year in the north, it's usually nice down here this time of the year....although it did snow here in Raleigh NC on saturday if you can believe that).....the thing is, it's really not worth it to be away from "home". You know what I mean? New York has as a whole, always felt like more of a "homey" state to me. I know it would seem to be the opposite to most people who have never lived there, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_MA View Post
I've been in NYC and Boston for the last 11 years, and we've been contemplating that move to the warm, less expensive areas with this romantic vision of simplicity and qualtity of life. The more I read on these forums (which are fantastic), the more freaked out I get about the idea of leaving, especially when all those things people say they would miss sound like the very things we would miss.
I don't know where you are thinking of moving to in the South, more than likely NC since it seems to be the hot spot these days. But there is nothing simplistic or a better quality of life here in NC. Very hectic, lots of traffic (and only getting worse), poor infrastructure, overcrowded schools, nothing in the way of character or charm.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM

137 posts, read 546,063 times
I live in FL. Move here from Wantagh in Jan 06. I miss my friends, sister, nephew. I miss Umbertos pizza and T&F Pork. I dont miss the traffic day and night. I dont miss the 13k/yr in property tax. I dont miss the snow. I dont miss working 45 hours a week. I dont miss being scared of another 9/11. I know a terrorist attack can happen anywhere but when you're on LI theres no where to go. If I could I would do 4 months NY 8 months FL and I may do that in the future but I have a ways to go before we retire. It's pretty cool living 90 minutes from Disney World and 60 minutes from St. Pete Beach. I am not looking forward to hurricane season at all but we'll get through it.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 18,236 times
Wow, where do I begin?

I was born in Chicago, lived in NY(26 yrs), and now reside in Miami. I work with many NYers in my office and we often reminisce about the food, etc.

I would not want to move back to NY. I left because I was tired of the traffic, crime, congestion, rental/mortage rates, etc. Things here in Miami now echo my experiences in NY, only the salaries are much lower.

I do make a very comfortable income, however, but the property taxes and insurance rates make living here a hard sell. I won't even get into the nightmare of the hurricane season we encounter each year.

I am strongly considering a move out of Florida altogether within the next year or two.

My dad still lives in Baldwin, and I visit NY at least twice a year, but sometimes as often as four times. I usually reunite with my friends and take advantage of the shopping, bars, etc, but I'm quickly reminded of why I left in the first place.

Yes, there are certain things I miss, particularly the food, weather (change of seasons), stores, etc but to live again in NY? I love to visit, but no, I don't think I'll ever live in NY again.

No, I'll pass.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,101 times
I lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan and the South Shore of Long Island until the late 70's when I moved to Las Vegas.

We just love it here and have no intention of ever leaving it. Several of our family members have moved to LV as well.

Anything you want is here in this city. It's convenient, easy to get around, stores and shopping aplenty!

Oh, and the Las Vegas Strip. Our backyard playground when and if we want it.

I'm continually surprised at the amount of NY'ers who are here already and still moving here...somebody told them! LOL!!!

Honestly, I love my NY roots, I just don't ever want to live there again. Life for us is good here in LV, not that life wasn't good in NY, it's just easier and better here.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 PM

235 posts, read 730,400 times
We just came from visiting NC and loved it there. Now mind you we are living in Brooklyn where it is anything but nice. Sidewalks filled with dog **** and gum. People who don't speak English and refuse to learn the language and actually believe we should learn their language. Most of the High Schools are dangerous and have many issues. Why anyone in their right mind would shell out 500 thousand and more to buy a home here with no land, no pool and sometimes attached to another home is beyond me. We found NC to be friendly, clean ( we looked in Union County)and there is plenty to do if you do your research. Someone said the only thing to do was hang out at Harris Teeter that is just not so. There are plenty of things to do with kids there. I Can't wait to move and I will never look back. Brooklyn has been lost for a long time now and thats just the sad reality

Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan and the South Shore of Long Island until the late 70's when I moved to Las Vegas.

We just love it here and have no intention of ever leaving it. Several of our family members have moved to LV as well.

Anything you want is here in this city. It's convenient, easy to get around, stores and shopping aplenty!

Oh, and the Las Vegas Strip. Our backyard playground when and if we want it.

I'm continually surprised at the amount of NY'ers who are here already and still moving here...somebody told them! LOL!!!

Honestly, I love my NY roots, I just don't ever want to live there again. Life for us is good here in LV, not that life wasn't good in NY, it's just easier and better here.
That's good to hear that you like it. My boyfriend and I plan on moving there in about 2-3 years. We don't like it so much for the lower cost of living, but we fell in love with the area when visiting in summer (the hottest time of the year, but it didn't bother us!). my parents are considering moving out there too. Would you mind if I pm you and you can tell me more about living there?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 PM

294 posts, read 744,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
I understand it is easy to become home sick, but some of these posts are so rude. Like "don't even bother trying to buy lox." Those types of comments are simply rude and unfair to people who have a different way of life or culture. Is it possible for every single place, city, town, and village to have the same foods, mannerisms, lifestyles, accent, etc? What would your response be if someone who moved to NY said "don't even bother trying to buy sweettea?" That's why so many transplants to other parts of the Country just don't make it. Aside from being homesick, which is understandable, they simply have no respect for another's culture.
Hey man, I've lived on Long Island all my life and I agree with you! Anytime I visit another part of the country, I'm very conscious about respecting their local ways and not pushing my NY ways upon them. I've been wanting to move away from here and when I do, you won't hear me whining about pizza and bagels since I don't eat them to begin with, lol!!

best wishes to everyone in their relocating endeavors...

Old 04-20-2007, 04:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I miss NYC very much

Currently live in Los Angeles (which is the complete opposite of NYC in everyway) and although it's taking a bit of getting used to (three years) I'll stick it out for a little while longer til I can find someplace else.

But yeah, on occasion I do miss the city, but there are reasons why I left. Space, comfort and affordability being a few of them.

SO YOU MOVED TO LA?!

Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,858 times
Don't mind venturing into Manhattan time-to-time and have family to visit as well, but I don't miss NY more or less because of alot of issues politically and economically with the state as a whole. I actually resided in Westchester County, phoniest place and filled with the rudest people I've ever encountered. I moved from that specific area just because it was, well, Westchester County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York