Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,418 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a town upstate, not too far from NYC, but not too close either. I need trees and fresh air but also a nice, liberal(ish) community and some interesting things to do. any thoughts?? i was wondering about New Paltz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 AM

21 posts, read 83,028 times
Not familiar with New Paltz-but it's up there-Ulster County. I'm in the southern part of Orange County bordering N.J. I wasn't going to respond once I saw where it was located, but I already started writing.
In any case, this is what I do if I'm interested/curious about a location: check out the town's chamber of commerce, the town's website, a calendar of events list, the town's local papers on the internet for info on what's happening politically, community-wise, fairs, parades, fund-raisers, crime, school sports..., the visitor's guide, the I Love NY guide.
And of course this site gives you lots of statistics: what do people do for work, how many graduate college, how many rent vs. own, nationalities, churches...this gives you a great idea as to the town's variety-the more varied the more liberal.
Also check out their real estate-how do they describe the neighborhood-because they can only lie but so much. Give them a call and pick their brains for info.
And go there for a visit. Hang out at a local bar or church or park-whatever you're into-and observe. Talk to people-business owners-they know what's going on.
Good luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
New Paltz is very artsy! They are very liberal as well. They were the first (if my memory serves me correctly) and last NY town to allow gay people to marry. The only other artsy area is Woodstock/Saugerties area(s), but that's across the river and far more rural than New Paltz.

Check out New Paltz on a weekend trip, you won't be disappointed. You don't say how old you are, so I'm not sure what other ammenities you are looking for. Schooling isn't so hot there (primarty thru HS), but college wise you have many easily within your reach. Vassar College, Marist, Ulster and Dutchess Community Colleges, and the Culinary Institute of America.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks guys!!!! Just to give you more info, I'm in my early 30s, in a relationship but no kids yet. so i'm looking for schools for the future maybe but for now, a great community with people around that i'd enjoy getting to know

Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here's information on the schools in new Paltz, by the way: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=ULSTER&district=62110 1060000 (broken link)

New Paltz Central School District Overview | GreatSchools

New Paltz Central School District (http://www.newpaltz.k12.ny.us/newpaltz/site/default.asp - broken link)

Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
We visited New Paltz over the Labor Day weekend. Very liberal, almost has a hippie vibe. Not a lot of galleries, if that's the type of "artsy" you are looking for. The small adjacent towns such as High Falls and Rosendale are similar and Woodstock and Saugerties are nearby. With school back in session, there were a lot of college students out and about in New Paltz, since it is the site of a SUNY university.

New Paltz and the surrounding towns are also very old with many of the historic homes and structures preserved, so in an architectural sense they have a rustic rural New England feel to them.

If you are into outdoor recreation, there is mountain hiking/biking, lots of public wilderness park land, bike-friendly roads and a rail trail plus kayaking and canoeing on the Walkill River. And the Hudson River is a 20-minute drive down the road.

Distance-wise, you are about two hours from Manhattan, just outside of reasonable commuting range, so it fits your "not too close, not too far" requirement perfectly.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Default thanks

this is all really helpful.
does anyone know if there are a bunch of people in the age range of 30s,40s living there? single and/or married.
not just college kids, although there are obviously a ton of those.

i want to meet new, like minded people, but not all college kids!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hls777 View Post
does anyone know if there are a bunch of people in the age range of 30s,40s living there? single and/or married.

I would think that there would be quite a few staff and faculty that would be in that age range, that you might be able to bond with.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hls777 View Post

Do you enjoy ice storms in Winter and high humidity in Summer? Do you enjoy paying high property and school taxes? Do you find drunk, drugged and out of work hippies to be charming? If you've answered yes to any of these questions you might consider living in the Village of New Paltz.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Do you enjoy ice storms in Winter and high humidity in Summer? Do you enjoy paying high property and school taxes? Do you find drunk, drugged and out of work hippies to be charming? If you've answered yes to any of these questions you might consider living in the Village of New Paltz.
Your point is.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York