Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 433,074 times

Advertisements

I am from Seattle and know nothing about these areas but am interested in moving to one of these cities .,. maybe.
If you were to give these cities personalities, what would they be?
If you were to contract these cities what would the differences be?
And what is your favorite neighborhood to live in, in Rochester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybookroom View Post
I am from Seattle and know nothing about these areas but am interested in moving to one of these cities .,. maybe.
If you were to give these cities personalities, what would they be?
If you were to contract these cities what would the differences be?
And what is your favorite neighborhood to live in, in Rochester?
Buffalo is the most vibrant, they are all pretty much the same. More midwestern flavor than NY/East Coast. If your going to live in that area, your best bet is Toronto.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Duece View Post
Buffalo is the most vibrant, they are all pretty much the same. More midwestern flavor than NY/East Coast. If your going to live in that area, your best bet is Toronto.
???? ???? Toronto? Why would that be the best bet? It wasn't even a city they are asking about... and it is SEVERAL hours away from all of them.... AND not to mention in Canada! LOL......

Alright- I love Rochester so I can really only give you a one sided answer.

Best neighborhood in Rochester- depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for night life? Are you looking for quiet suburbs? Are you looking for a bit of both?

City Life- Park Ave/East Ave- EAST END....

Suburban Life- Fairport- for recreation outdoors and parks/ Pittsford for cute town and shops

Both- Brighton- suburb of the city- close access to downtown - can walk at some parts- easy to get around and shops closeby....

Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
Out of curiosity if you know nothing of these cities why are you interested in moving to any of them? I think you would be in for a major shock moving from Seattle to any of these cities. I can give you reasons why to or not just wondering what interested you in the first place.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'd say that Buffalo is the biggest and probably the more blue collar of the three, eventhough Syracuse isn't too far behind in that regard. Rochester is more white collar out of the three. Syracuse has seen the highest raise in income for those with a college degree out of the three. Syracuse is the smallest of the three and probably in terms of crime, the safest. All have a pretty strong higher education presence. Syracuse is the more centrally located of the 3 for the Northeast. Housing is affordable in all three, relatively speaking and each has had stable housing markets too. Each are probably underrated areas in terms of the Arts as well.

Out of the three, Syracuse is the only one I can think of with legitimate Black, White, Hispanic, Asian and Native American communities that are somewhat noticable, but all three have "diversity".

In Buffalo, I think neighborhoods you might like are Elmwood Village, Allentown, South Buffalo, Parkside and the Hertel Ave. areas of North Buffalo.

In Rochester, you might like the Park Ave., Upper Monroe Ave., parts of the 19th Ward, Charlotte,
East End, South Wedge, Swillburg and east side neighborhoods east of culver Road.

In Syracuse, you might like the Westcott, Eastwood, University(includes Berkley Park), University Hill, Outer Comstock, Meadowbrook(including Scottholm), Tipperary Hill part of the Far Westside neighborhood, Sedgwick, Strathmore, South Valley and parts of the Salt Springs neighborhoods.

Here's some information on each:
Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VisitRochester
Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau lists Buffalo Attractions and Accommodations
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

City of Rochester
Home - City of Buffalo
City of Syracuse

Home Page (http://wwww.erie.gov/erie/ - broken link)
MyMonroe. Opening Up Government. | Monroe County, NY
Onondaga County, New York

Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM

200 posts, read 604,816 times
If they were siblings, this is who they'd be:
Buffalo is the big, athletic brother, the one who gave noogies & mushed mash potatoes in the other kids face when they were younger, but now sits on the couch all day drinking and telling you about that one time in high school he scored that touchdown that won the state championship. He's probably not employed.
Syracuse is smart, youngest brother, who's kind of a slacker. He's a musician. Can meet women, but can't seem to keep them. He has a bachelors degree in philosophy. 'Nuff said. Also probably not employed - at least not steadily.
Rochester is the sister who's employed as a front end manager at Wegmans. She has an associates degree and a job, so compared to her siblings, she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders. However, cousins Charlotte, Raliegh, Orlando and Tampa are all well paid professionals, so at the end of the day Rochester realizes she's just average, like aunt Peoria used to be.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM

451 posts, read 695,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Duece View Post

While I would agree Western NY is more midwestern (just some things like "pop" and geographically) I dont know about Syracuse.

Binghamton, Trenton, Albany, Utica and Scranton are small cities, are they "midwestern" too? especially since theyre on the East Coast?

San Francisco is small, walkable and is dense like Boston, NYC and Philly, is that an "East Coast" city too?

What is this "Midwestern city ****?"

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Do you have any job prospects lined up in any of these areas or do you work in a field that you'll be able to find employment rather easily (like medical)? If you have the ability to obtain decent employment you can make a nice life for yourself in any of these cities as the cost of living will be next to nothing when compared to what you are use to in the NW. The main problem is going to be employment & without knowing what you do it would be hard to direct you to any of these cities as they all differ in which is better for what kind of jobs. None of them are currently doing well for entry level non degree type positions, at least good paying opportunities.

My wife & I relocated to the Buffalo area from Austin, Texas because she received a very good job offer. We were originally looking to relocate to Philly or Baltimore (both are close to where I am from) but we haven't regretted choosing WNY. I have a business related degree & was able to find employment rather easily (within a few weeks).

Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Do you have any job prospects lined up in any of these areas or do you work in a field that you'll be able to find employment rather easily (like medical)? If you have the ability to obtain decent employment you can make a nice life for yourself in any of these cities as the cost of living will be next to nothing when compared to what you are use to in the NW. The main problem is going to be employment & without knowing what you do it would be hard to direct you to any of these cities as they all differ in which is better for what kind of jobs. None of them are currently doing well for entry level non degree type positions, at least good paying opportunities.

My wife & I relocated to the Buffalo area from Austin, Texas because she received a very good job offer. We were originally looking to relocate to Philly or Baltimore (both are close to where I am from) but we haven't regretted choosing WNY. I have a business related degree & was able to find employment rather easily (within a few weeks).
I was going to mention that too. You can find some other jobs too, like engineering and banking/finance in the Syracuse area isn't doing too bad actually. Here's a good site for job information in the Syracuse/CNY region: Central New York Jobs

Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM

87 posts, read 106,507 times
Not much difference, people in the Rochester burbs think they are better and more sophisticated than those in Cuse and Buffalo. Its like a Hatfield looking down at a McCoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York