Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times

Advertisements

Definitely an unfair generalization of southerns. This is coming from a former nothern expat who has now boomeranged back to NY from NC. They are not still living in the civil war and it is not just "yankees" but the uncontrolled growth coming from all regions of the country (and world) that have caused great strain on the infrastructure and quality of life in many areas of the south.

Personally, I think the whole "Grass is greener" mentality in the northeast is starting to fade or at least be toned down a bit as the sunbelt has been plauged with the fallout from the real estate bust, and severe weather in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
There's no way in hell I could read this whole thread, but here's my take on hostility from southerners toward anyone that isn't "from here."

If your family went generations being former slave owners, turned into wealthy southern land owners and got respect for owning immature things like big trucks or mud wheeling ****face drunk out in the woods, and then a bunch of "yankees" come waltzin' in with their real money and knowledge, and started threatening your perceived concept of respect from your fellow simple minded southerners that become dazzled by the new folks that moved in and their fancy talk and what not that never went to the same school or grew up in the same town as you did, you'd be hostile toward anyone that isn't from where you're from too.
Why southerners may take a dislike to northerners??

Perhaps it's the archaic sterotypes that the above poster project when they find themselves more than 10 miles from their little slice of NY.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why southerners may take a dislike to northerners??

Perhaps it's the archaic sterotypes that the above poster project when they find themselves more than 10 miles from their little slice of NY.
I should have been more specific, the generalization applies to wealthy rednecks whose only source of that wealth was from their family sitting on a bunch of land that eventually became valuable. And no, I'm not calling them rednecks as a derogatory term, as there are plenty of individuals who would consider themselves a redneck and be proud.

Theres usually one on a plot of land that inherited a house from another family member, that own a bunch of off road vehicles, vehicles with the confederate flag on their front plate, and just an arrogant mentality that they believe they can do whatever they want because "God" favors them.

I grew up in Texas as a kid in addition to the northeast, and Asia, and never felt such attitudes existed until living in Georgia.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I should have been more specific, the generalization applies to wealthy rednecks whose only source of that wealth was from their family sitting on a bunch of land that eventually became valuable. And no, I'm not calling them rednecks as a derogatory term, as there are plenty of individuals who would consider themselves a redneck and be proud.

Theres usually one on a plot of land that inherited a house from another family member, that own a bunch of off road vehicles, vehicles with the confederate flag on their front plate, and just an arrogant mentality that they believe they can do whatever they want because "God" favors them.

I grew up in Texas as a kid in addition to the northeast, and Asia, and never felt such attitudes existed until living in Georgia.
I think you could fine the same sense of "entitlement" regardless of where you are at. Just look at the Hamptons or the North Shore, how many little juniors are out their that inherited it all and did nothing.

Down south it because "God" favors them and up north the is just plain arrogance.

Amazing how similar both areas are. I am amazed that living in Texas you never encountered the arragance...

Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think you could fine the same sense of "entitlement" regardless of where you are at. Just look at the Hamptons or the North Shore, how many little juniors are out their that inherited it all and did nothing.

Down south it because "God" favors them and up north the is just plain arrogance.

Amazing how similar both areas are. I am amazed that living in Texas you never encountered the arragance...
Well I was 7 when I first moved to Texas, lived in College Station, and never paid attention to stuff like that since everyone seemed affluent, although I lived in Brandon Heights so everyone around me lived in nice homes.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
I got to tell the truth even though it may hurt some people. The South still has a lot of racial issues. My uncle bought a gas station out in Georgia and the townspeople threatened him and his partners daily. They made it a point to intimidate them every chance they got. Trying to run them off the roads, telling them to live or risk their lives, etc. These scumbags showed a side of America we have never seen. Now I know what Black folks go thru in America.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

152 posts, read 321,829 times
Well I think NYer's put up with everyone invading there state and didn't mind it. I loved meeting people from all over the country who would move to NY/long island. I didn't think they were "invading" my territory. I didn't think they were going to change things. I was not offended that they loved things i didn't ( country music/mudding/drinking/ the bible/ walmart etc..) I just liked that they were different. I met people from all over the world and i learned all about their cultures and foods and holidays. So i don't understand why people get so offended when others move to their area.

I am in the middle of no where in pennsylvania now, the town is bigger then any town i've lived in. And yes alot of these folks still live with a civil war mentality... they call them "colored people" etc... they are like stuck in a time warp kinda. My one friend calls it the armpit of america here. lol.. but they don't seem too offended yet by people moving in, but they sure do scare them away with their mentality. I don't want to change this town or build big businesses. But they really need to update their thinking etc... I encounter many who can't afford their prescription ($4 at their favorite store) but they can smoke/chew tobacco and drink. ??? I see many who cant work due to being obese and diabetic (they go hand in hand and can be turned around) yet they go hunting and fishing every chance they get. I'm thinking they can hunt ... they can work... so it's a bit of an odd mentality here. The schools are terrible so no one is too smart. Yet they don't want to change, they are going backwards, now they are going back to half day kindergarten as it costs too much for full day... They don't salt, sand or plow the roads well...they cinder them... and it's useless , you may as well just stay home.

So anyway, i don't know why anyone would be offended when others move into the area. I saw it in Seattle area also, Californians moved in and the region was built up (good for the economy i think), but they didn't like the californians as they had "bras" on their cars and built small homes into mcmansions. but again, doesn't your home value go up if the neighborhood improves.

I'll never get it, i just found that NYers embraced alot of the influx of out of staters and foreigners, and alot of other states dislike the newcomers or are at least suspicious of them..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I got to tell the truth even though it may hurt some people. The South still has a lot of racial issues. My uncle bought a gas station out in Georgia and the townspeople threatened him and his partners daily. They made it a point to intimidate them every chance they got. Trying to run them off the roads, telling them to live or risk their lives, etc. These scumbags showed a side of America we have never seen. Now I know what Black folks go thru in America.
my friend was run off the road (interstate 81) in southern pennsylvania by a guy, when she caught up with him , he was holding a nicely preprinted sign that said the "N" word. Smart girl took a pic of him , and now he's charged with ethnic intimidation. she has lived all over the country and said she has never encounter such racism as here. They call it pensyltuckey as they have a real southern mentality. So yes this does really exist and it's a shame that certain areas don't try to address it with the people who live there.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Oh and as far as the redneck term, they love to call themselves rednecks here. They do not consider it an insult. they say , i'm just a redneck, i love rednecks etc... so in south central pa, they live the word. can't speak for other parts of the country

Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
The area of NY I live in is extremely redneck and again they are proud of it. Some blacks tried moving here last year and the rednecks made trouble. I remember the TV stations from Syracuse coming here and that Jim Kenyon guy was like holy crap this area is backwards.

All that being said Most of Syracuse and most likely most other NE cities are De Facto off limits to my honky white butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York