Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times

Advertisements

I'm not alone i moved to florida to get away fromthe fast,loud,crowded,rude nyers, turns out i miss that i am soooooooooooooo home sick but i can move back until i sell my house which probably wont be for anothe rthree yaers what a way to find out i am areal nyer at heart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESIII View Post
I moved to Charlotte, NC... for 30 days. Worst place I've ever lived. Strange people. They drive like psychopaths. They think the highway is a Nascar race. When they meet you, the first thing they ask is "where do you go to church" and they're all born again evangelicals.
It's was like being in the twilight zone.
My old boss at a local Engineering firm bear the airport mentioned the same about what church do you belong too. WTF! is that about.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM

118 posts, read 223,829 times
Default But so many areas destroyed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6011missny View Post
I'm not alone i moved to florida to get away fromthe fast,loud,crowded,rude nyers, turns out i miss that i am soooooooooooooo home sick but i can move back until i sell my house which probably wont be for anothe rthree yaers what a way to find out i am areal nyer at heart
I love people from NYC. Stereotyping - I love their creativity and their gusto. However, as a born and raised central New Yorker, I'm not happy to find that there are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th home-owners from NYC who are paying top dollar for homes and farms, and ending up in the pages of The New York Times Styles section, while so many people are paid low wages and living in dump apartments that have not been freshened since 1965.

And yet - the "locals" definitely remain so. So there doesn't seem to be.. I don't know.. any balance?

If you haven't stayed in Florida for very long, depending on where you are -- you really should give it another thought. At least there, the land rape is a done deal. Watching it happen is another story.

I didn't mention that I cannot afford to move back to New York State. I think there should be some kind of 'native sons and daughters' program. We only left because we were forced out due to the NYC and wealth influx. Besides, in certain cities in Florida, no matter where you are from, you're not the odd one out. I do wonder, however, where the displaced native Floridians went. What happened to the guys with genuine fish camps who lost them to developers.

Last edited by Midcoaster; 06-24-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Typo. And additional comment.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default I left Florida after 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
I love people from NYC. Stereotyping - I love their creativity and their gusto. However, as a born and raised central New Yorker, I'm not happy to find that there are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th home-owners from NYC who are paying top dollar for homes and farms, and ending up in the pages of The New York Times Styles section, while so many people are paid low wages and living in dump apartments that have not been freshened since 1965.

And yet - the "locals" definitely remain so. So there doesn't seem to be.. I don't know.. any balance?

If you haven't stayed in Florida for very long, depending on where you are -- you really should give it another thought. At least there, the land rape is a done deal. Watching it happen is another story.

I didn't mention that I cannot afford to move back to New York State. I think there should be some kind of 'native sons and daughters' program. We only left because we were forced out due to the NYC and wealth influx.
in 1971 when I was 22 and I never looked back. I think in all those decades I went back maybe 3 times. I was born and raised in NYC. I raised my children on Long Island. I am a native New Yorker through and through. My husband was out of work for over a year. He took the first job offered to him, which was in Florida, but he has said over and over that Florida had nothing to do with it. He would have moved to Alaska if someplace there had offered him a job.

I did not want to come back here, but I came for my husband and the fact that we are nearing retirement age and it will not be forever. I have now been in Florida for 2 years. It feels like an ETERNITY. How I felt about this place at the age of 22, you can triple that now at age 60. I don't like the weather which I didn't back then, I miss my family (children now instead of parents). I LONG for the 4 seasons and all the activities associated with them. I miss NEW YORK ATTITUDE. I miss hearing that old familar NY accent. What more can I say? We own both a condo and a house. We have been trying to sell, or even rent, that condo now for over a year. There are a few foreclosure in the complex that are selling for only $20,000 more than the price was in 1984 when they were first built. They aren't selling. I have even seen one where somebody is selling at LESS than the foreclosure prices. You want BAD? That is bad.

I am very worried about selling our properties here so we can move back. I do not want to die in Florida. I want to go HOME.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM

133 posts, read 498,259 times
My wife wants to move to Florida, I think it is alright place to live. I vacationed there a ton when I was growing up with my parents. I am very familiar with the Tampa/Orlando area, and from what I have seen there are many northeastern transplants living in Florida. Is it just me, or do you constantly meet people from NY/NJ/CT/MA, etc. down there? I think if I moved there I would feel more at home than I would compared to someplace like California. The idea of moving west for me is a no go!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
vacationing and moving are two different things. good luck, tho. once you move south its damn near impossible to move back...the long you wait to move back the harder it is, as well.

i never thought about the church thing, but its true. and if you're catholic, ppl will be like "...oh..."
lol. that was one of the first questions i got when i moved here. i never thought about that but yeah, thats a good point.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM

118 posts, read 223,829 times
Feeling more at home in Florida has more to do with how "at home" you feel in New York State. In my case, I never had a sense of "home" in my city. I loved it, but that isn't the same. Far too much baggage there to deal with anyway. So, for me, meeting up with people in Florida who are from New York State definitely feels more like I "belong."

Of course, that's true if you've ever spent time on the road...it's obviously more freeing when you don't share too much of a past history, if it wasn't all that good. I've had that backfire and, in the most unlikely of places where I moved, in fact, happened upon someone who had a very direct connection with someone who was part of my history, and that knowledge came within a minute and a half.

You do know that people from upstate New York who move to Florida often cannot wait to return....the best bet is definitely to spend the summers in Florida, and the rest of the year north -- the opposite of what most folks do. In my rather odd opinion.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
I grew up in the Hudson Valley and haven't lived there for 26 years due to my husband's corporate relocations. Thirteen years in Florida and three in Atlanta have taught me that "Southern Hospitality" is a totally fake concept. It is all on the surface, dig a little deeper and you cannot believe a word out of anyone's mouth...horrendous in the work environment. I despise living in a place where people want to hurt others by flying a Confederate flag.

I am lucky, I am moving back to upstate NY this summer. I cannot wait to remove my son from this Southern culture toxic environment. The weather in Atlanta is gorgeous, but the price paid is not worth it. I don't want my child speaking negatively as my neighbors do about anyone different than themselves, and worse, incorporating that belief system into his soul. (I'm white by the way.)

Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM

132 posts, read 446,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackba View Post
I grew up in the Hudson Valley and haven't lived there for 26 years due to my husband's corporate relocations. Thirteen years in Florida and three in Atlanta have taught me that "Southern Hospitality" is a totally fake concept. It is all on the surface, dig a little deeper and you cannot believe a word out of anyone's mouth...horrendous in the work environment. I despise living in a place where people want to hurt others by flying a Confederate flag.

I am lucky, I am moving back to upstate NY this summer. I cannot wait to remove my son from this Southern culture toxic environment. The weather in Atlanta is gorgeous, but the price paid is not worth it. I don't want my child speaking negatively as my neighbors do about anyone different than themselves, and worse, incorporating that belief system into his soul. (I'm white by the way.)
I feel excatly the way you do. I'm in the process of finding a job before myself and my family can start the move back up. I hope it happens soon

Old 07-17-2009, 08:47 PM

79 posts, read 258,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackba View Post

I moved to Atlanta from upstate NY 2 1/2 years ago...I completely understand how you feel. I miss NYS so much that I listen online to streaming radio stations in NY. It makes me feel closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York