Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM

79 posts, read 258,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
I just got word today that I will not get the raise as expected, not suprised! Of course the "economy" is a big factor these days, like I stated b4 I have not held a steady job for long since I've been down here 6 years so this just confirms that the ATL is not working for me and I have to move on. Cost of living is more expensive at home, but at this point I don't care about it. There are many people who are surviving in the North and happy. NYC Baby, I'm comin home!

BKATL, great news! I'm looking forward to moving back home...when I see that sign that reads "Welcome to New York State" - Oh Happy Day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Lol. Well, I never could adjust to Florida--for multiple reasons. The shining sun is a huge price to pay for the rest of the stuff you have to endure. Oppressive humidity, bugs larger than the Grand Canyon, a s-l-o-w approach to everything, the lack of critical thinking/reasoning and a general unfriendliness . When I moved there, I had no biases at all, but it became apparent soon enough that I had made a huge misstake (learning experience).
I got paroled in 97 after 4 years of "doing time." Ha. I can remember crossing the state border out of Florida and it was like heaven opened up.
You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
Keep your chin up--you'll get out. It just takes alot of patience and the right moment to make your escape!!
I needed that encouragement right now.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM

132 posts, read 446,380 times
That encouragement feels so good. I have a friend that moved down here with his job, left his wife and child up north. He basically got rid of his apartment in the Atl and is slowly moving back to NY.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:00 PM

132 posts, read 446,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
BKATL, great news! I'm looking forward to moving back home...when I see that sign that reads "Welcome to New York State" - Oh Happy Day!!!
When do you plan on leaving?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
When do you plan on leaving?
My apartment lease terminates on August 31, so I'm thinking about September. I was recently laid off from my job, so that's more reason for me to leave this year. I'm starting to job hunt...looking at jobs anywhere in New York state. I've lived in both upstate (Buffalo) and downstate (NYC), so I'm open to any part of NYS.

Fortunately, we didn't buy a house in Atlanta when we moved back in 2006. It was tempting with the low costs and new construction, but in my heart I knew this would not be home for long.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I left Florida (first time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
in December 1971. I took a Greyhound bus (young and out of of money). The bus driver had the radio on. We were somewhere on the Jersey Turnpike when that Simon and Garfunkel song America came on. When the part among on about "counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike" people started singing along.

Just as the Manhattan skyline came into view, the driver announced, "If you look out your windows, you will see the Manhattan skyline." People on the bus stood up and started clapping and cheering. I started crying I was so happy to be HOME. It was right before Christmas and lovely snow was falling. It was such a beautiful sight to see the lights of the city in the falling snow.

I will never forget that day on that bus coming back from Florida. I hope someday I can experience the same thing.

Good luck on your move back.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM

TANaples, thanks for the well wishes!

This is probably the best time to seriously consider moving back. I strongly believe that in the next few years, there will be a reverse migration back to the north & midwest. The south cannot continue to sustain such overwhelming growth. Soon, it will cost just as much to live here as it does to live up north. No one will be able to afford to live in the "sunbelt" soon - rising cost of living, overburdened infrastructure, and strained natural resources.

Honestly, I understand why some of the natives are angry about the uncontrolled growth. If I were in their shoes, I might be too.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
Any yankee down in NC feel like me?? Something is missing here that just isn't home. Lived in the lower hudson valley all my life, got tired of the rat race wanted better life for family....You all know what I mean right?? I even wrote the governor for squashing out the hard working middle class, never heard back. I have been here w/my husband and daughter for 8 LONG months, he's doing better than her and I but we are already putting house back on market. Please NC people when you read this don't get mad I DON"T HATE your state but the majority of you HATE us northerners and I'm sick of it! Guess what you won, we are going back home to kids playing outdoors and neighbors chatting in the front yard and we'll pay through our ***! And yeah some of us may be rude maybe because you are so rude to us, (rolling your eyes as you here my "accent", saying "you won't hold it against me" when I say I'm from NY. I guess I'm bitter, when you get that mostly everyday, how would you feel. Anyway, thanks for letting me sound off and if anybody thinks the grass is greener in NC, think again, don't come here until your kids are grown and you are prepared to live in solitude w/your spouse or significant other.. BYE BYE ignorancy, hello integellency!!! Can't wait to get back, hope my house sells soon!!! I LOVE NY!!!!
Were not you aware of the fact that they are still fighting the CIVIL WAR????

Old 03-14-2009, 09:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Default Question from NewEnglandGirl

New to this thread. Contemplating several places for a move from Northeast at age 60...in Virginia: Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Roanoke areas. Has anyone lived there and didn't like it and returned to where you were? Reasons? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missNY View Post
sorry I can't spell anymore, my brain is fried from being so bored
That is funny!!!!!!!! We just came back from Florida, and even my dog got stupid..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York