Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
LauraC, Everyone has a right to their opinions. This thread is about native New Yorkers who regret moving south. If it is annoying to you, please don't read it, but allow us New Yorkers to voice our opinions on a New York board in peace.
I lived in NY for 40 years of my life. Born in the Bronx, lived on Long Island from 7 - 43 years old. Lived 12 years in MD and I'm on my third year in Tennessee. I am not in a northeast development in the South. I came to Tennessee because I wanted to be here not because I'm fleeing cost of living, taxes and weather up north or in Florida.

The point NYers miss is the invasion aspect. People move to NY onesy-twosy. People flee NY in large numbers for the South due to the cost of living, taxes and snow. They aren't coming to the South because they want to be part of The South and its culture. The northeasterners (or northeasterners via Florida) are coming in large numbers to escape perceived intolerable conditions up North.

There is no desire to integrate. In these massive developments that go up, people try to make the new place, Little New York. Again, they didn't move there because they wanted to live in the South. They moved there to get away from what's in The North that has absolutely nothing to do with a desire for a different culture or ideoloy.

If NY was cheap and warm, people would stay there. Because the northeasterners come in such large numbers, schools have to be built, police, fire and teachers have to be hired, roads have to be built to accommodate them. That means people who lived in small southern towns all of their lives now have to pay higher taxes because of the northeast invasion. You don't experience that in places in NY because people don't move there in large numbers from the South due to prohibitive costs and taxes up North.

I assure you if a large number of Southerners moved to a small community, say on Long Island, and caused Long Islander's property taxes to go up to accommodate a large influx of new people, the people who lived a long time in the Long Island community would be muttering about those da*n Southerners. And then if the Southerners got there and 1) put a gate up around their development to keep local Long Islanders out; 2) told Long Islanders how everything was better where they came from (better roads, nicer/friendlier people, plenty of free things to do); 3) told Long Islanders how they have no diversity (no Southern cooking, music, stores, etc) of culture; 4) made fun of their Long Island accents (indication of dumbness); 5) called them names (materialistic prima donnas); 6) whined about not having this or that product/service/store; 7) whinged about local laws, plus 8) changed the local voting pattern to conform to their ideology, Long Islanders would be really pissed off, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 AM

151 posts, read 713,863 times
Laura brings up many good points. But people native to the area typically occupy local government with locals having the option of voting. Thus they could have limited development or went in the direction of privitization rather than to host all services themselves. If New Yorkers are escaping because of big government and high taxes they do not necessarily want to recreate that same situation in Florida.

I would not blame northerners for the perception of southerners. You can thank years of indoctrination from Hollywood for that. I also have found southerners that echo that stereotype of their bretheren and using that as the reason for locating to NY.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 45,729 times
The funny thing is, here I am, a Marylander, looking to move to SW New York. I love the Chautauqua County area. The beautiful farmland and hillsides are awesome, whether snow covered or not. You have ski resorts, Lake Erie, Lake Chautauqua, snow mobile trails, and so much more to do. The taxes are high, but the land is cheap and to build a house is cheap. I have fallen in Love with NY and can't wait to get our vacation home built up there..and someday maybe move there.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I lived in NY for 40 years of my life. Born in the Bronx, lived on Long Island from 7 - 43 years old. Lived 12 years in MD and I'm on my third year in Tennessee. I am not in a northeast development in the South. I came to Tennessee because I wanted to be here not because I'm fleeing cost of living, taxes and weather up north or in Florida.

The point NYers miss is the invasion aspect. People move to NY onesy-twosy. People flee NY in large numbers for the South due to the cost of living, taxes and snow. They aren't coming to the South because they want to be part of The South and its culture. The northeasterners (or northeasterners via Florida) are coming in large numbers to escape perceived intolerable conditions up North.

There is no desire to integrate. In these massive developments that go up, people try to make the new place, Little New York. Again, they didn't move there because they wanted to live in the South. They moved there to get away from what's in The North that has absolutely nothing to do with a desire for a different culture or ideoloy.

If NY was cheap and warm, people would stay there. Because the northeasterners come in such large numbers, schools have to be built, police, fire and teachers have to be hired, roads have to be built to accommodate them. That means people who lived in small southern towns all of their lives now have to pay higher taxes because of the northeast invasion. You don't experience that in places in NY because people don't move there in large numbers from the South due to prohibitive costs and taxes up North.

I assure you if a large number of Southerners moved to a small community, say on Long Island, and caused Long Islander's property taxes to go up to accommodate a large influx of new people, the people who lived a long time in the Long Island community would be muttering about those da*n Southerners. And then if the Southerners got there and 1) put a gate up around their development to keep local Long Islanders out; 2) told Long Islanders how everything was better where they came from (better roads, nicer/friendlier people, plenty of free things to do); 3) told Long Islanders how they have no diversity (no Southern cooking, music, stores, etc) of culture; 4) made fun of their Long Island accents (indication of dumbness); 5) called them names (materialistic prima donnas); 6) whined about not having this or that product/service/store; 7) whinged about local laws, plus 8) changed the local voting pattern to conform to their ideology, Long Islanders would be really pissed off, too.
Bless you - you REALLY get it, and I for one sincerely appreciate that This is the best, most truthfilled post of the week!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM

61 posts, read 79,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackba View Post
I grew up in the Hudson Valley and haven't lived there for 26 years due to my husband's corporate relocations. Thirteen years in Florida and three in Atlanta have taught me that "Southern Hospitality" is a totally fake concept. It is all on the surface, dig a little deeper and you cannot believe a word out of anyone's mouth...horrendous in the work environment. I despise living in a place where people want to hurt others by flying a Confederate flag.

I am lucky, I am moving back to upstate NY this summer. I cannot wait to remove my son from this Southern culture toxic environment. The weather in Atlanta is gorgeous, but the price paid is not worth it. I don't want my child speaking negatively as my neighbors do about anyone different than themselves, and worse, incorporating that belief system into his soul. (I'm white by the way.)
Yeah, those dumb Southerners don't know anything about people they've been living with for 300 yrs. It takes a Northerner from a lily white upstate NY town to educate them.

BTW, they wave their flag because their ancestors died for it in an attempt to gain Independence.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 45,982 times
Ive lived in 4 Southern states.. plus arizona, utah, nevada, Pennsylvania, and Chicago.. where im from.. and well..Im headed to NY.. Just miss the old world feel of home .. the 4 seasons... and yes.. apparently even thouhg i have lived in 9 states since i was 22.. i have a yankee accent.. so well... toodles asheville.. Look out Utica...lol

Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM

118 posts, read 223,886 times
Default Misguided belief in the 'sanctity' of the North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackba View Post
I grew up in the Hudson Valley and haven't lived there for 26 years due to my husband's corporate relocations. Thirteen years in Florida and three in Atlanta have taught me that "Southern Hospitality" is a totally fake concept. It is all on the surface, dig a little deeper and you cannot believe a word out of anyone's mouth...horrendous in the work environment. I despise living in a place where people want to hurt others by flying a Confederate flag.

I am lucky, I am moving back to upstate NY this summer. I cannot wait to remove my son from this Southern culture toxic environment. The weather in Atlanta is gorgeous, but the price paid is not worth it. I don't want my child speaking negatively as my neighbors do about anyone different than themselves, and worse, incorporating that belief system into his soul. (I'm white by the way.)
You note that you are "white." That you add that to your post says a great deal about your mindset. I have had Blacks in the South, and other parts of the country, tell me how much they prefer the 'open and honest' prejudice there to the pretense of acceptance exhibited in the North.

As to people in the South speaking negatively about those different from themselves, and the suggestion that that is not true in the north or northeast... you're kidding, right? Have you heard the expression, "He's from away," thereby effectively reducing that person to a nonentity.

I would suggest that the only person who is being false is you, and I hope you are blessed with the realization that you carry as much 'fault' for prejudice and discrimination as everyone else.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I used to be distressed at everyone in NY taking off for North Carolina and now I just feel sorry for them. They're all packed in down there with thousands of other Northeasterners who had the same idea. And now the jobs are starting to go away and they're stuck there.

Americans don't ever think about the ramifications of moving to a different region, because they think the U.S. is (or should be) one big homogenous playground. But people really are different in the South. You're not going to change them.

And unless you are old and feeble or disabled... well, I have no sympathy for anyone who moves away solely because of the weather. We have an entire generation of Americans now who believe that living in a winter climate is cruel and unusual punishment.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 07-24-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,641 times
i know there is no perfect place to live ,but you have to be as happy as you can no matter where you pick, i have now been in florida 19 years , i from am from long island and find it to be very unlikely to be able to afford to go back there it has become way to expensive to live anymore , but upstate still offers a chance to live somewhat comfortablely , i dont think florida is the worst place to be but do think there are better places , fl is great if you like to fish , golf burn your skin off and sweat most of the time or ride roller coasters , and i find it to be just as expensive to live as any other place in the country when it comes to cost of living verses income so once again i say go where your heart takes you

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,471 times
I feel for you LOL...well NYC is the best place so leaving it wasn't the right choice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York