Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 182,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LofaroNYG View Post
I know how you feel. My wife and I moved from Upstate NY down to West Virginia. We Lived there for two years. We both absolutely HATED it. We knew we were making a mistake when we drove through Syracuse on our way through. But it was already to late at that point. We watched the lights of the city wiz by us in the early morning darkness, tears in our eyes. We were leaving everything we knew. The place we went on our first date, the place I proposed to her, where we first kissed. We spent the entire two years in WV, missing home and Working our butts off to get the money to go back home. Last December, my wife and I finally got to move back home to NY. It feels so incredibly good to be home and I can honestly say, I am never leaving this area again.
I was born in NYC and lived in Bronx till I was 7. My family then moved to Tampa, FL in '89 and me to Orlando, FL in '99 for school. Fortunately, I never developed a NY accent. Here in FL there are more and more northerners coming down, so I don't get any of this southern inhospitality you all are describing . . . . . except for southern racism, but that's another story. I hear a lot of northern people who move to Orlando or even Florida and want to leave a few years later. Here in Florida, you have to put up with Republican BS. Lower-paying jobs, limited job industries and job markets, and no unions (if you have a trade or craft). I have my sights set on moving to Philly in 3 or 4 years, for school and job and research opportunities. I COULD tolerate Florida a little longer, but it's probably not best for an aspiring research scientist.

But sorry I'm laughing Lofaro NYG. Of all places. . . West Virginia!!!!!
I guess this was BEFORE this year's dem. primary when 15 or 20% of West Virginians decided based on race. I wouldn't have come within a 50 mile radius of that state. It doesn't even have any metro areas or cities.

But to miss ny, what you described sounds like ignorance and prejudice towards northerners. Southerners are used to openness, courteousness, and friendliness and can have culture clash with a northern attitude. ALSO, a lot of southerners have an inferiority complex. They perceive northern city people the same way many perceived Barack Obama: an elitist, educated person that looks down on small town rural people as ignorant country bumpkins. That's probably where the hate comes from.
Just do what Mariah Carey says: Shake it Off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,574 times
I will be the first to get on the heading homeward bound North bus. I miss the NY attitude, energy and people in motion with so much to do. Would be nice if the people that I met who are forever saying, "bless your heart", read their bible, go to bible study and church would actually mean what they say but they don't. I have never encountered woman who so lie, gossip, are closed minded, racist and behind that Southern hospitality are hateful. Northerners are in your face with the truth. Unfortunately, my experience living in the South feels as if they are still in trigger mode with the Yankees. Sad in the South but somehow will find my way back to the big hearted Yankees.

Tigerlilly

Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 51,232 times
we moved to evans,ga 3 years ago.the job market is horrendous down south.plenty of walmart $22k a yar jobs but if ypou come down making $65k you'll never find an employer down here to match it.So,if you go south you'd better plan on staying with one employer!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,404 times
I'm a native New Yorker, born and bred. I once had a southerner ask me if I was Jewish because of my "accent?" What the hell is that? BTW: It wasn't asked in a friendly, just wondering kind of way. It was definitely said with an air of suspicion and dislike. I don't happen to be Jewish, but just for laughs I said I was.

Come back home. The bigotry and hatred in this country is just horrible. People may try to deny it, but it's there. At least in New York, contrary to uninformed opinions, we're friendly and embrace diversity.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 17,404 times
But to miss ny, what you described sounds like ignorance and prejudice towards northerners. Southerners are used to openness, courteousness, and friendliness and can have culture clash with a northern attitude. ALSO, a lot of southerners have an inferiority complex. They perceive northern city people the same way many perceived Barack Obama: an elitist, educated person that looks down on small town rural people as ignorant country bumpkins. That's probably where the hate comes from.
Just do what Mariah Carey says: Shake it Off.[/quote]

That's a nice thought, but what I experienced was not openness, courteous or friendly. I'm a very open and friendly person. The feeling was not reciprocated. I.....Love New Ya-wk. I..... love New Ya-wk.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESIII View Post
I moved to Charlotte, NC... for 30 days. Worst place I've ever lived. Strange people. They drive like psychopaths. They think the highway is a Nascar race. When they meet you, the first thing they ask is "where do you go to church" and they're all born again evangelicals.
It's was like being in the twilight zone.
That is ALL very true

Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I could write a book about my experiences after leaving NY state. I lived in Florida--everyone should have to do that once in their life;kinda like wondering when you'll get paroled. We've been here in Arizona for quite a few years and are both getting so ready to leave. Some good things, but getting more "California"-ized all the time (not my cup of tea).
NY has some problems, but there's alot of good stuff that you don't see when your there. The people you can't beat. I am always getting the question about "your accent." I think I'm still American as far as I can tell, but you'd never know it. And, Yes to the above poster, I frequently get "Are you Jewish"? Well, no, but so what if I am?? God, the ignorance when you step out of NY makes your head spin. NY'ers will say it like it is, which saves alot of time/energy, while out here it's an "automated response." lol

Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I could write a book about my experiences after leaving NY state. I lived in Florida--everyone should have to do that once in their life;kinda like wondering when you'll get paroled. We've been here in Arizona for quite a few years and are both getting so ready to leave. Some good things, but getting more "California"-ized all the time (not my cup of tea).
NY has some problems, but there's alot of good stuff that you don't see when your there. The people you can't beat. I am always getting the question about "your accent." I think I'm still American as far as I can tell, but you'd never know it. And, Yes to the above poster, I frequently get "Are you Jewish"? Well, no, but so what if I am?? God, the ignorance when you step out of NY makes your head spin. NY'ers will say it like it is, which saves alot of time/energy, while out here it's an "automated response." lol
I also moved out of NY and I am to go back home. Everything I mean everything you have spoken is true, and I am in ATL GA. I did the move to Florida I said the *ELL with this forget about praroled, I am breaking out of here, get here to ATL and it is the same thing all over again. I was thinking about AZ, I am a online nursing student with Mariocopa Community College, but I cant take making another mistake again. I am out of here asap

Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 29,415 times
Default Heaven and Hell

A long time ago, Curtis Mayfield said "You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here on Earth". I've been in Garner, NC for about 4 1/2 months. I came to NC straight from an early NY LEO retirement. It was time to do something else. Climate change is a plus. Different air is a plus. Having more money at the end of the month is a plus. I do miss the NY ethnic food. Deli from Katz or Second Ave, Pizza from Ray's (any one), ChinaTown food, bagels, etc. I can go on, but what's the point? If I miss NY that much, I'll go visit. You have jerks and crime all over. You have nice people all over also. To the people who left NY, why did you go? I know how to tune people out and do me. Do you? I was a real NYer. I once told someone that I would never move to NC. Things change. I did my due diligence. I was very recognized in NY, but that and $2.00 still got me on the bus. The adaptation from NY to NC was not totally unexpected. I am really feeling this area. There has to be a reason why the area is rapidly expanding. I think I'll stay...

Last edited by Bdublewe; 03-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,830 times
Hey Budlewe, to each they own if you like NC then why not stay hey I would

but but but but you didnt have to go there with Katz come on now (LOL) I am crying Katz oh my God, I got to go to NY Katz crying ...........
why why why Katz oh God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York