Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagora View Post
I moved to Pensacola, FL in the late 90's after growing up in Buffalo and one of the things I missed the most was Autumn. The colors are just unbelievable in New York and in Florida they basically stay green and that's it. I moved back up here in 2002 and driving home from church today I took it all in once again. Beautiful fall colors. I love it!
I have to say, after a very hot, dry summer, the colors this fall are still stunning....even as an old-timer, I was still stopped in mid-sentence many times this fall while tooling around the area to point out another group of trees that was breathtaking......an added bonus was a fall that has been warm and sunny which made for many lovely hikes through the countryside, a 6 miler this A.M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
The phrase you highlighted was intentional on my part. Don't fret. I know my atlas, suga...lol! Anyhow. I realize Northerners and Southerners are both Americans. I only lumped them together within the foreign category is due to the fact that so many of them migrate to the South and act like foreigners. I've had personal encounters with them in passing. I hear their snide remarks, "You guys call shopping carts "buggies!" in a haughty better-than-thou smirk! "You say "winder" instead of "window!" "I need to bring my whole state of Wis-can-sin down here to Florida to teach people how to talk "right"!" "You have no culture here!" "You Southerners are too slow!" "The South is behind the times!" This list could go on and on. My point being, is that a great many Northerners move South and complain, bicker, gripe, b**ch, ****, and moan about how different we are in the South as opposed to the North! Hello! We are different! Everybody knows we're different! It's not current news! It's old hat! What gives a Yankee the right or even the inclination to move South and hear somebody say, "buggy" for "shopping cart" or "swaller" for "swallow" or "I'm fixin' to..." or "It's over yonder" or "Y'all come back now" and question them in a snobbish uppity manner? Again, when in Rome...! Y'all Northerners moving here should learn Southern speech patterns!!!
Aw come on. Aren't you New-York-native-Florida-transplant Dave Barry? Kidding! Love ya! Mean it!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,112 times
Quote:
I was told by a Northerner I might add, to post this reply on a North Carolina thread that I previously put on a South Carolina thread. So hear it is:

This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian (or North Carolinian), but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.
In a country at war with genocidal maniacs, it is pretty sad to see this civil war "crap" come up when we are in the 21st century. I was 5 blocks from the towers in NY when they hit and I saw the 2nd plane hit in person. I have lost 3 good friends from being attacked by a foreign country. I am a Long Islander at heart and I am proud of it. When I met people from the south I would never make them feel inferior or give them an attitude for no reason. Being A born and raised NYer moving to Ohio for a couple of years then moving down to NC to live for good, I have seen some serious harsh attitudes, but it never happens UNTIL I open my mouth and my "yankee" accent comes out.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU SOUTHERNERS????!?!?!? We are at war in a time where we should all join together we are playing civil war because of the MDL? If you meet a rude NY, tell em to go F*ck off, dont stereotype the rest of us because of one bad seed. I for one have never been rude, UNTIL I get an atttude from "yall" for opening my mouth. Get over it, Civil war is long ago, I / we are not trying to change your ways, rude people are everywhere...We are just looking for a better life, don't crucify us because we are faster, more aggresive than yall. I had to commute on a subway 90 minutes a day, with all types of people with guns / knives to get to a job to work 12 hours then come home. Please take your stereotypes and save it for Al-Qaeda not for fellow Americans.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times
I agree. I had a horrible time when I just visited down south -- I could not believe how rude and mean people were to me just because I lived in New York State. I had no preconceived notions about the south at that time, and I was truly hurt and shocked to see how I was treated. The only "polite" southerners I met were in the stores, and I'm sure that's because they wanted my sales.

As for the Civil War....my dad is a Civil War buff. Do southerners really think that northerners didn't lose relatives in the war?????? It is truly mind-boggling to think that somehow the only losses thought of are southerners. My dad was in tears at Gettysburg. I just don't get it. And a lot of northerners were southerners who relocated after the war.

This was a war in which American lives were lost. American -- both north and south. I don't think southerners have a heart -- to me, the ones I met were so nasty, rude, belligerent and so horrible, that I will never go there again. (I know, southerners are probably saying "That's just what we want!")

I know from my dad, who is one of the kindest, most considerate men you could ever meet, that the Civil War destroyed BOTH southern and northern families. What is wrong that people can't see that??

And P.S. -- my dad's father was from Missouri and moved north to Wisconsin and my dad moved to New York State for work in those days (the 1940s). Southerners -- don't stereotype every northerner -- you may find that you are related to one!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 AM

217 posts, read 879,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOHtoNC View Post
In a country at war with genocidal maniacs, it is pretty sad to see this civil war "crap" come up when we are in the 21st century. I was 5 blocks from the towers in NY when they hit and I saw the 2nd plane hit in person. I have lost 3 good friends from being attacked by a foreign country. I am a Long Islander at heart and I am proud of it. When I met people from the south I would never make them feel inferior or give them an attitude for no reason. Being A born and raised NYer moving to Ohio for a couple of years then moving down to NC to live for good, I have seen some serious harsh attitudes, but it never happens UNTIL I open my mouth and my "yankee" accent comes out.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU SOUTHERNERS????!?!?!? We are at war in a time where we should all join together we are playing civil war because of the MDL? If you meet a rude NY, tell em to go F*ck off, dont stereotype the rest of us because of one bad seed. I for one have never been rude, UNTIL I get an atttude from "yall" for opening my mouth. Get over it, Civil war is long ago, I / we are not trying to change your ways, rude people are everywhere...We are just looking for a better life, don't crucify us because we are faster, more aggresive than yall. I had to commute on a subway 90 minutes a day, with all types of people with guns / knives to get to a job to work 12 hours then come home. Please take your stereotypes and save it for Al-Qaeda not for fellow Americans.
What's weird is that some upstate New Yorkers I've known hate NYC and New Yorkers more than some southerners I know.

For me, I am from upstate originally, but I don't hate downstate. I know it's different from the rest of the state and probably is unfairly stereotyped. Even I do it sometimes.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 36,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I agree with you. But we're speaking as the newcomers; I can imagine that for all the native NC-ers, it gets a bit longinthetooth to have all the northerners descend on their area in short order.....it will all even out eventually
I'm a HICK in NY and moved to Florida (downsouth) and so "nicely" met every NY'er that had the same train of thought I thought I had!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Quote:
I was told by a Northerner I might add, to post this reply on a North Carolina thread that I previously put on a South Carolina thread. So hear it is:

This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian (or North Carolinian), but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.
Guess what? The Carolinas were settled by transplants who moved here from the area of Lancaster, PA (that's why there is a Lancaster, SC) and other northern areas in the 1700s. The southerners that are here wouldn't even be southern if it was for those original northerners moving here 300 years ago. Northerners came to the south for warmer climates and longer growing seasons back then, mainly via a road called Nation Ford, which ran from PA to Atlanta. So if you are a native Carolinian, your ancestors most likely came here back then and screwed up the way of life of the Catawba Indians. You even changed things back then when you were renaming towns after towns you had come from. As far as the Civil War, more northerners actually died during the war, but the north still won, so get over it already. There are more important things to worry about besides fighting for slavery so you can have cheap labor (athough it is almost still prevalent at places like Smithfield in NC where illegals make a $1-2 an hour under miserable conditions).

Anyway, I lived in Buffalo for a while and now live in Charlotte. I love it here and as do many of my peers who used to live there.

Last edited by groove1; 11-09-2007 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 61,367 times
Default Just Moved Back North After 8 Years In The South

Hello everyone,

When my husband and I decided to leave the North and move to Tennessee, we researched it, visited the state and said let's give it a try. But, it's impossible to understand a place until you live there. The obvious point here is that we, as northerners, had no preconceived notions, no negative ideas, no prejudices or bad attitudes towards the South or it's people. We just thought of it another region of the United States. We were, in a sense, innocents.

It's a very one-sided phenomenon. Most Southerners have a distrust and dislike of Yankees that's passed down from generation to generation. We must remember several factors that contribute to the lingering 'hatred' of the North. First of all, historically speaking, the Civil War wasn't that long ago. Secondly, the vast majority of the bloody battles were fought in the South. Third, the stronger, industialized Union made sure the weaker, agriculturally based South was completely and totally crippled, so it couldn't rise again. And fourth, some very opportunistic Yankee carpetbaggers when down there and monetarily benefitted from the suffering of a broken Southern population.

Yes, slavery ended. And that was a very good thing. But, there's a lot of things the North did that were questionable. I never understood why the South had to be forced against it's will to stay in the Union.

We moved back North because we don't fit in the South. My husband and I are highly educated, poltically independent, socially progressive people. We're for saving the planet rather than praying for Armageddon. And although we're spiritual individuals, we prefer science to the born-again Christian nonsensical brain-washing that the earth is just a mere thousands of years old. Now, we're willing to pay the taxes for the superior education northerners receive. We found the South way too white bread, homogenized and not very individualistic. We're thrilled to be with the large array of varying cultures with their excellent restaurants other than Applebee's, and the good shopping other than Wal*Mart, and the interesting activities other than Nascar.

We are buying a home in New York and we are thrilled to be back. I freer than I ever felt before. It was an important life lesson.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times
Jane Law---

Good luck on your journey home and hang on to your hat as y'all get a spitton full of southern backlash after your post...

As for my experience with Southern Pride, it happened the first time I went to my aunt and uncle's in Garland, Texas (outside Dallas). My cousin had her bedroom decorated with the rebel flag and we're not talking a desktop version...noooo, this was an entire wall-covering flag of the Confederacy....it stunned me. Not the ususal decor of a young girls room that's for sure. And she made sure she "Yankee-d me"' every which way I turned when we visited yet I never considered ever doing the same to her when she came north.....oh and always in her butter-melting, sugar-dripping drawl....still gives me the creeps.......

Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM

158 posts, read 446,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Law View Post
Hello everyone,

When my husband and I decided to leave the North and move to Tennessee, we researched it, visited the state and said let's give it a try. But, it's impossible to understand a place until you live there. The obvious point here is that we, as northerners, had no preconceived notions, no negative ideas, no prejudices or bad attitudes towards the South or it's people. We just thought of it another region of the United States. We were, in a sense, innocents.

It's a very one-sided phenomenon. Most Southerners have a distrust and dislike of Yankees that's passed down from generation to generation. We must remember several factors that contribute to the lingering 'hatred' of the North. First of all, historically speaking, the Civil War wasn't that long ago. Secondly, the vast majority of the bloody battles were fought in the South. Third, the stronger, industialized Union made sure the weaker, agriculturally based South was completely and totally crippled, so it couldn't rise again. And fourth, some very opportunistic Yankee carpetbaggers when down there and monetarily benefitted from the suffering of a broken Southern population.

Yes, slavery ended. And that was a very good thing. But, there's a lot of things the North did that were questionable. I never understood why the South had to be forced against it's will to stay in the Union.

We moved back North because we don't fit in the South. My husband and I are highly educated, poltically independent, socially progressive people. We're for saving the planet rather than praying for Armageddon. And although we're spiritual individuals, we prefer science to the born-again Christian nonsensical brain-washing that the earth is just a mere thousands of years old. Now, we're willing to pay the taxes for the superior education northerners receive. We found the South way too white bread, homogenized and not very individualistic. We're thrilled to be with the large array of varying cultures with their excellent restaurants other than Applebee's, and the good shopping other than Wal*Mart, and the interesting activities other than Nascar.

We are buying a home in New York and we are thrilled to be back. I freer than I ever felt before. It was an important life lesson.
Well good riddance to y'all! I'm glad our ways and culture sent you back from whence you came! And as for your belief in billions of years vs. thousands, there's much more evidence to prove a young earth over an old one! Science and God goes hand in hand. But, then with your superior Yankee education, you should have known that! Your kind ain't wanted and never will be in Dixie! Your social progressivism is just another way of saying you're weakminded, politically correct, puppets of the modern age. So great! Y'all left the South! Maybe this will start a trend and many more of y'all that think this way will exit the great Land of Dixie! It's one of my many missions to make life miserable for Yankees and others that want to change us! This doesn't apply to all Northerners, but where the shoe fits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York