Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You can have a week, sometimes 2, at a time without a sunny day; and yes that can be depressing after a while, but it's definitely not 6 months with no sun.
Can be depressing????? IS DEPRESSING!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 AM

158 posts, read 446,138 times
I was told by a Northerner I might add, to post this reply on a North Carolina thread that I previously put on a South Carolina thread. So hear it is:

This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian (or North Carolinian), but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:39 AM

131 posts, read 742,212 times
Can't we all just along? Aren't we all, after all, North Americans

Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM

672 posts, read 906,395 times
Default How about nothing but

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Can be depressing????? IS DEPRESSING!!!!
90++ degrees EVERY SINGLE DAY for 4 months straight with heat index over 100 degrees. The water temps also are over 90 degrees. That is FUN????? Blazing sun that fries your skin and your brain. I feel like I am living that old Twilight Zone eposide where it never rains and the sun just keeps getting hotter and hotter. All the people start going crazy and dying off. Rod Sterling must have lived in Florida.

I'll trade you Florida for New York. Plus I'll even trade you that previous poster.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
90++ degrees EVERY SINGLE DAY for 4 months straight with heat index over 100 degrees. The water temps also are over 90 degrees. That is FUN????? Blazing sun that fries your skin and your brain. I feel like I am living that old Twilight Zone eposide where it never rains and the sun just keeps getting hotter and hotter. All the people start going crazy and dying off. Rod Sterling must have lived in Florida.

I'll trade you Florida for New York. Plus I'll even trade you that previous poster.
Well, to tell you the truth, and this is probably going to come as a shocking thing to say. But, White people, assuming you're White, are not designed for living in the Tropics or climatic regions that border on the Tropics. The South is tropical or temperate-subtropical. The Portuguese, Spanish, French, British, and Dutch colonizers were not designed for and could not cope with the harsh sun on their "white" skin! That's the main reason Black slaves were used by all these 5 European nations in their colonies. Not to get into a slavery argument by any means. Just stating facts. The Portuguese, Spanish, and French colonizers, invaders, and settlers really took a hard one when they settled the extreme Equatorial Tropics as well. Their lighter skins was no match for those extreme hot, sunny regions! The same went for the British and Dutch settlers and invaders to hotter, sunnier climates. Why do you think skin cancer is vastly more numerous in White people than in Mixed or Black people? So I can understand you when you say it's miserably hot in the South. However, it can be gotten used too more or less. You'll never be genetically capable of it in it's entirety, but you can get sort of used to it, especially if born and raised here. If you don't like it, can't or refuse to handle it, then move back North! Simple as that! You knew the South was hot, muggy, and sunny for much of the year! Again. If people don't like the South for whatever reasons, then please leave! I wouldn't want somebody in my house that really didn't want to be there in the first place! And by-the-way, it's Rod Serling, not Sterling, just to let you know. Y'all have a good'n!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
I was told by a Northerner I might add, to post this reply on a North Carolina thread that I previously put on a South Carolina thread. So hear it is:

This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian (or North Carolinian), but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged.
Calm down, you sound so....so....hmmm..Yankee-ish.....lol....but the best line is highlighted as you totally undermine an otherwise entertaining rant by referring to fellow Americans as foreigners.....best check your atlas suga', we's all related......

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Calm down, you sound so....so....hmmm..Yankee-ish.....lol....but the best line is highlighted as you totally undermine an otherwise entertaining rant by referring to fellow Americans as foreigners.....best check your atlas suga', we's all related......
The phrase you highlighted was intentional on my part. Don't fret. I know my atlas, suga...lol! Anyhow. I realize Northerners and Southerners are both Americans. I only lumped them together within the foreign category is due to the fact that so many of them migrate to the South and act like foreigners. I've had personal encounters with them in passing. I hear their snide remarks, "You guys call shopping carts "buggies!" in a haughty better-than-thou smirk! "You say "winder" instead of "window!" "I need to bring my whole state of Wis-can-sin down here to Florida to teach people how to talk "right"!" "You have no culture here!" "You Southerners are too slow!" "The South is behind the times!" This list could go on and on. My point being, is that a great many Northerners move South and complain, bicker, gripe, b**ch, ****, and moan about how different we are in the South as opposed to the North! Hello! We are different! Everybody knows we're different! It's not current news! It's old hat! What gives a Yankee the right or even the inclination to move South and hear somebody say, "buggy" for "shopping cart" or "swaller" for "swallow" or "I'm fixin' to..." or "It's over yonder" or "Y'all come back now" and question them in a snobbish uppity manner? Again, when in Rome...! Y'all Northerners moving here should learn Southern speech patterns!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
1. The storm you are referring too in Buffalo in October of last year was a snowstorm, not an icestorm

2. Rochester saw NOTHING when that storm hit Buffalo, infact, it was a sunny pleasant typical fall day...check weather records if you don't believe me; or just ask anyone who was here

3. The state is NOT the largest employer anywhere in WNY...please show some actual statistics to back that false claim up. Oh wait you can't because there aren't any

4. You aren't a very intelligent person and that becomes more and more clear as you continue to post rambling (pardon my language) "bitchfests" on every thread that has anything to do with this region. I'm sorry you weren't happy living in WNY...but MANY people are; including myself. We are not all real estate agents, we are not local politicians....we are people who are proud and happy to call western new york home and realize that there are many great things about living here. We don't need you to tell us "what to expect" or your pitiful "wish" of "all the luck in the world". We are actually enjoying our lives and don't feel the need to bash an area that we DON'T EVEN LIVE IN ANYMORE all day.

"best wishes"

I'minformed(2)
Actually I'm very intelligent which is why I will no longer entertain your less than accurate responses - no need to personal attacks - not only am I intelligent but well-bred!. And it's referring to not referring too, einstein.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman2450 View Post
I think much of the hostility comes from people NOT being able to afford to live in NY. You have to know that a nurse and a lawyer make a very good salary put together. That is likely upper middle class. And that is what NY is becoming----upper class, uber-upper middle class, and the very poor. Wake up people and realize this.

I am familiar with Rochester (Brighton). If you can afford to live in Brighton, Pittsford, Perinton, Victor, blah, blah we all know the Rochester neighborhoods---then living cost isn't going to be a problem for you.

What I am gathering here from this thread, is that the people that LOVE NY, are also really angry---because they can't and I mean CANNOT get back due to economic reasons only. I am angry, along with sad. The only way I could live in UNY again would be if I was collecting welfare. And let's not get me started on that and how easy it is here. The titanic is sinking people, and you can sit and hold a cocktail and listen to the violins all you want.
Not really, the high cost of taxes aren't worth it. The area is a dumping ground for all kinds of toxic waste. It has some of the highest cancer rates in the country. The air sucks from the nanticokes plant in Ontario. Crime is out of control in the cities of Rochester and Buffalo. The winters are awful and too long, now extending into April. Niagara county has the highest property tax in the country. The region has some of the highest utility costs.And it's bleak and overcast most of the time.For that I am going to pay 10,000 in property tax in a region that is seeing no job growth and is losing population?
Seems like it's asking an awful lot for a whiff of nostalgia.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,218 times
That's why I left. But man the recreational activities are fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York