Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Seems like it's asking an awful lot for a whiff of nostalgia.
That's an excellent summation of the upstate conundrum. Ask any Italian who grew up off Lexington Avenue in Rochester 30 years ago: Would you move back? I like to imagine things couldn't get worse, but somehow, slowly, they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Your'e either a real estate agent or you bought out all the rose colored glasses at the 99 cent store...I spent the last two winters there so I KNOW what's up with that -you can push that rosy blather to some newbie - Buffalo lost ALL its trees in October due to the ice storm -Rochester was no better... you call that mild? They closed the schools for SO LONG my niece got her summer vacation cut! ANd who said I moved away? I still have property there and go often! And no the incomes are not higher, and the higher taxes negate any savings on the one time purchase of the house because you get to pay them every year after year after year..And guess what? It looks like they're going up again! SO much for the property tax freeze they all talked about.
You are losing more residents than are moving in..the biggest employer IS the state, and you, the taxpayer are underwriting thru your taxes all that cheap healthcare the state employees get to enjoy while you pay for yours and theirs! Hey keep those rose colored glasses on - like Nicholson said, You can't handle the truth....
I still think you're a real estate agent - I never heard such one way biased thinking about a place in my life..and it is YOU who are doing a diservice to the readers here...I can't drive into my old neighborhood in Buffalo because the drug czars control that area now..Rochester is called the murder capital of USA..you think I wanted to see that happen to a place I called home?...I have many friends in Buffalo and we bemoan what has happened to our beloved cities in WNY. So don't single me out as being the bearer of bad news..Most of the young people that choose to stay in Buffalo eventually leave because they can't find work that's the truth..but don't believe me- go read the bufflaonews.com, or better yet talk to some of the reporters as I do regularly and let them set you straight...You get real..If folks choose to stay or move there, they should know what to expect and I wish them all the luck in the world.
Here's another correction to your erroneous post: Rochester sufferd none of the effects of the Fall 2006 Buffalo storm....obviously you don't have lenthgy conversations with your niece

As for my employment, it has nothing to do with real estate so again, your assumption is incorrect. As for this continuous pi##ing contest on whether your reality or ours, who still live here in NY, is the true one, let's leave it at this: believe half of what you read and none of what you hear. Keep kicking your home state if it makes you feel more worthy of your choice to move, but leave the ones who live here and are happy just that.

And furthermore, if leaving here to move to TN was it? is such a grandiose gesture on your part, why in God's name are you in here beating a dead horse? Seems there are quite a few of you in these state forums who feel fully qualified to crucify any ones perception of NY unless it matches theirs and then go on a bender ranting on how unqualified we are and we still live here.......

On that note, I'm going outside to enjoy another glorious day in the Finger Lakes 10/27/07 65 degrees and sunny but please, feel free to tell me I'm falsely representing the area again...

Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Of course you are....its not worth it to live here beacuse of the evil taxes and evil snow....what the hell are we thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Yes, like I said, she really isn't a very intelligent person and that becomes more and more clear with every post she makes. There's definitely something else to her bitterness towards WNY, she probably had a very bad experience here or something. If that is true 12buttons, then on behalf of every citizen of Upstate NY, I offer you a sincere apology. Now if you will be so kind as stop bashing this place where WE LIVE and YOU DON'T and implying that we are crazy and uninformed in CHOOSING to live in this wonderful area; we'd all be much obliged.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 PM

672 posts, read 905,056 times
Default I would give my right eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Of course you are....its not worth it to live here beacuse of the evil taxes and evil snow....what the hell are we thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Yes, like I said, she really isn't a very intelligent person and that becomes more and more clear with every post she makes. There's definitely something else to her bitterness towards WNY, she probably had a very bad experience here or something. If that is true 12buttons, then on behalf of every citizen of Upstate NY, I offer you a sincere apology. Now if you will be so kind as stop bashing this place where WE LIVE and YOU DON'T and implying that we are crazy and uninformed in CHOOSING to live in this wonderful area; we'd all be much obliged.
to be back in COLD, HIGH TAXED, MISERABLE New York. I am stuck here in HORRIBLE Florida. I mean it.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I read these posts and agree how beautifull update NY is but without a decent job to support me who has time to admire it. I looked at moving back but there just wasn't any jobs available.
This is sadly why I had to leave upstate NY. I left a few years ago because I wanted a change, but I quickly found out that unless you want to work in retail or a factory for the rest of your life, you are not going to find much up there when it comes to meaningful work. I was lucky enough to have an uncle rent me a room so I can get back to the city, because believe me, once you leave it, it is very hard to get back. On a somewhat related note, I noticed a similar thing with many people from upstate NY, regarding their attitudes towards people from NY. Like alot of southerners, they don't seem to like New Yorkers.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
That's because the over-taxes business-unfriendly government that is made to work for the NYC region doesn't work for upstate and is the reason it is hard to find a good paying job. Talk about being oblivious.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,699 times
Quote:
That's because the over-taxes business-unfriendly government that is made to work for the NYC region doesn't work for upstate and is the reason it is hard to find a good paying job. Talk about being oblivious.
Good enough reason for all of us upstaters to join the "Unshackle Upstate" movement......I don't hate downstate at all but I am tired of feeling like the worker bees of the state while the City reaps all the rewards

Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,978 times
Quote:
I'm assuming your reffering to downstate when you say oblivious? Sadly many New Yorkers don't really know or care all that much about what goes on upstate. Sometimes it seems like the two of us are not even part of the same state.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:09 AM

672 posts, read 905,056 times
Default Spent plenty of time upstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4577 View Post
I'm assuming your reffering to downstate when you say oblivious? Sadly many New Yorkers don't really know or care all that much about what goes on upstate. Sometimes it seems like the two of us are not even part of the same state.
between my daughter going to college in Cortland, husband's nephew in Albany, his Air Force buddy in Buffalo, and my daughter's hockey travels all over upstate. All times of the year too - winter, summer, spring and fall.

I miss New York --- ALL OF IT.

Last edited by HockeyMom72; 11-04-2007 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 22,883 times
Default Love the colors

I moved to Pensacola, FL in the late 90's after growing up in Buffalo and one of the things I missed the most was Autumn. The colors are just unbelievable in New York and in Florida they basically stay green and that's it. I moved back up here in 2002 and driving home from church today I took it all in once again. Beautiful fall colors. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York