Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

This should be an interesting discussion.

So what do you think about the new Pathfinder? 4 cylinder supercharged gas engine with a "compact" lithium-ion battery pack.

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid SUV | Nissan USA

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver

I'm up in the air about it. Hybrid is generally a good idea, but I'm not sure about this combination. Is there enough of an increase in mileage to offset the $3000 additional cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Remember when the Nissan Pathfinder was a Very Rugged off-Road Capable SUV like the old first and second Gen Explorer was back in the day.

Seems it went lost it's truck Based body on frame roots for a car like CUV Uni-body type of family hauler

Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I often wonder why they don't do both. I suppose it's the way of the future with the higher required mileage so there's no place for the kind of vehicle Pathfinder was.

Of course those people who need the abilities of that type of truck are royally screwed when they are no longer available.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Remember when the Nissan Pathfinder was a Very Rugged off-Road Capable SUV like the old first and second Gen Explorer was back in the day.

Seems it went lost it's truck Based body on frame roots for a car like CUV Uni-body type of family hauler
I haven't been paying much attention to the Pathfinder the last several years. I just clicked the link for the pictures and wow you're right!

It's taken the shape of the dreded, generic four-door miniva.. I mean crossover.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I often wonder why they don't do both. I suppose it's the way of the future with the higher required mileage so there's no place for the kind of vehicle Pathfinder was.

Of course those people who need the abilities of that type of truck are royally screwed when they are no longer available.
yeah the time when SUV's really were Sport Utility Vehicles are over.

Heck the original design of the Pathfinder was to compete with the Blazer, Bronco and 4-runner and jeeps of the day.

The North American first generation Pathfinder came in two different bodies and shared styling and most components with the Nissan Hardbody Truck.

Built on a ladder-type frame, the Pathfinder was Nissan's response to the Chevrolet Blazer, Ford Bronco, Jeep Cherokee, and non-American SUVs like the Toyota 4Runner, Isuzu Trooper, and the Mitsubishi Montero.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM

LOL from the C&D comments section:
"Say goodbye to Mr. Pathfinder and hello to Mrs. Mallfinder"

Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
yeah the time when SUV's really were Sport Utility Vehicles are over.
Well... the time of SUVs isn't over, the time of people using SUVs as lifted stationwagons is over. SUVs have been replaced by unibody crossovers that deliver the on-road driving experience and space consumers want, not the off road and truck capabilities that are inherent in an SUV.

There are still SUVs around, but they are receding to the popularity they had before the shift from minivans to SUVs/CUVs exploded.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
LOL from the C&D comments section:
"Say goodbye to Mr. Pathfinder and hello to Mrs. Mallfinder"
That is pretty funny. Nissan has actually gone back and forth between frame and unibody with the Pathfinder before. The last gen Pathfinder was a body on frame truck, the gen before it a unibody, and the original gen was a frame truck as well.

I think Nissan views the Pathfinder as a neighborhood commuter now and left the truck duty to the Xterra.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Body on frame is overrated anyway. The Cherokee/Grand Cherokee has always been competent off-road, it's no Wrangler, but good enough. It's not really so much the unibody as the design. I think it's a nice Mallfinder, but I wouldn't try to find any unpaved paths in it.

I always enjoyed reading clueless hack journalists reacting to the new Cherokee and how they keep mentioning its now more a CUV than SUV now because of the unibody. Makes you seriously question who writes these articles. They obviously know nothing about cars and are too lazy to even do their research... but I guess the flowery prose is what sells advertising.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-20-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Well, there's real value in a body on frame design when you need it. It was a specialized design once unibody became mainstream, it just took automakers 20 years to make unibody versions of the vehicles people really wanted - station wagons with high seating positions and 6" of ground clearance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti