Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM

783 posts, read 2,586,739 times

Advertisements

Presently driving a 96 Nissan Pathfinder but looking to buy another SUV.

Should I go with a 2000 - 2007 pathfinder or forget about it.

I don't so much like the shape of the newer version though, but hoping some of you experience ones may shade some light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:

I don't so much like the shape of the newer version though, but hoping some of you experience ones may shade some light.
There are better choices out there in my opinion but it all depends on your wants/needs. The Pathfinder is a midsize SUV so I'm assuming that is what you would like? What's your budget? Any particular towing/hauling needs?

I personally don't care much for foreign SUV's, I still believe that American automakers are tops in the SUV world. The '02-'05 Ford Explorers are pretty nice and are around the same price point as a used Pathfinder. If you want new, the '06+ models were redesigned with a better ride, more luxurious interior, and better "goodies".

Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post

Like SpeedyAZ said, it all depends on what you want in an SUV and how much you have to spend. If you can offer more insight, we can give more constructive feedback.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 PM

SpeedAZ

Thinking of leasing to buy, buying or if the worst come to the worst financing an SUV with enough cargo space than the BMX x5. Towing needs don't bother me for now-so would accept any.

8 Snake

Just want a simple/basic SUV. Not that small and not that huge either.
Price wise I'm thinking about
1-$14000 to purchase a decent used vehicle.
2- $400/ month maximum to lease or finance an SUV.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM

279 posts, read 1,858,956 times
I have the Armada and I love it. It is a great car, but it does have all the bells and whistles so that might be why I like it. But we haven't had any trouble with it at all. (Knock on wood) It has bad blind spots in front, between the door windows and the windsheild. My husband isn't bothered by them and I keep teilling him taht the new models will have that little triangle window, but they still don't. Ours is a 2005 model. And it is so big that I am scared to park it in any spot I feel like. Again my husband isn't bothered by this.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
An '03-'05 Ford Explorer can be had for around $14K as can a '02-'04 GMC Envoy. Both are midsized SUVs and shall be able to meet all your needs. The Pathfinder is a fine vehicle but the styling of the '00-'04 models to put it bluntly...is BAD. The newer models look much better but I'm not sure they would be in your price range.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
SpeedAZ

Thinking of leasing to buy, buying or if the worst come to the worst financing an SUV with enough cargo space than the BMX x5. Towing needs don't bother me for now-so would accept any.

8 Snake

Just want a simple/basic SUV. Not that small and not that huge either.
Price wise I'm thinking about
1-$14000 to purchase a decent used vehicle.
2- $400/ month maximum to lease or finance an SUV.
IMHO, leasing with intent to buy would be my absolute last resort. You'll pay out huge sums of interest money and likely be upside down the entire time you own the vehicle. Since you don't want a ton of frills, you should easily find a good SUV in your price range and avoid this payment trap.

How long do you plan to keep the vehicle? I ask because you'll get the best bang for your buck buying a lightly used vehicle. However, manufacturers like Jeep are offering 0% interest for 60 months on Grand Cherokees. You could likely find a Grand Cherokee Laredo pretty close to $24,000 and come in at your $400/month goal. In addition to that, the Jeep now comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at if you plan to keep the Jeep a while.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
I noticed in recent years the mid-sized SUVs and trucks are bigger than their older versions. The Pathfinder for example, was considered a small/mid-sized SUV but now it looks more like a full-sized model.

Small trucks have also evolved, the Toyota Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier originally started out as just small trucks, but now they're both slightly smaller than a full-sized model.

On the kind of SUV you should get, that depends on your own preferences and needs. If I were looking for an SUV, I would go with a 2001-2004 Pathfinder. I think 2005 was when they came out with the newer and bigger version, which I don't care for too much.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
An '03-'05 Ford Explorer can be had for around $14K as can a '02-'04 GMC Envoy. Both are midsized SUVs and shall be able to meet all your needs. The Pathfinder is a fine vehicle but the styling of the '00-'04 models to put it bluntly...is BAD. The newer models look much better but I'm not sure they would be in your price range.
Sorry, I'm not that much into American vehicles. I was hoping that you would include some decent foreign cars in your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
IMHO, leasing with intent to buy would be my absolute last resort. You'll pay out huge sums of interest money and likely be upside down the entire time you own the vehicle. Since you don't want a ton of frills, you should easily find a good SUV in your price range and avoid this payment trap.

How long do you plan to keep the vehicle? I ask because you'll get the best bang for your buck buying a lightly used vehicle. However, manufacturers like Jeep are offering 0% interest for 60 months on Grand Cherokees. You could likely find a Grand Cherokee Laredo pretty close to $24,000 and come in at your $400/month goal. In addition to that, the Jeep now comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at if you plan to keep the Jeep a while.
Plan to keep the car for at least 8 years. Yes, lease is my last resort. Gearing towards certified or yes, slightly used vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I noticed in recent years the mid-sized SUVs and trucks are bigger than their older versions. The Pathfinder for example, was considered a small/mid-sized SUV but now it looks more like a full-sized model.

Small trucks have also evolved, the Toyota Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier originally started out as just small trucks, but now they're both slightly smaller than a full-sized model.

On the kind of SUV you should get, that depends on your own preferences and needs. If I were looking for an SUV, I would go with a 2001-2004 Pathfinder. I think 2005 was when they came out with the newer and bigger version, which I don't care for too much.
I was gearing towards the pathfinder 2002 and above or the inifinity suv 2000 and above. I know the infinity is the luxury unit of nissan but I'm assumming the parts would be of better quality hence fewer stops to a car shop.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I know the infinity is the luxury unit of nissan but I'm assumming the parts would be of better quality hence fewer stops to a car shop.
The mechanical parts won't be any better on the Infinity. It's the same vehicle with some upgraded trim and interior features. You might find a nicer service manager at the Infinity dealership, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti