Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times

Advertisements

I'm not in line to buy an EV. I'm not so sure going electric (made mostly by coal in the US) is ready for prime time.

But this new EV from Nissan looks "about right" for the average consumer (unless I missed a price that's insane somewhere in the article)

100 miles
4 hours to charge on a socket like the one your dryer plugs into
a little technology boost to show range, text you when charged, etc.

I can see the folks where I used to live snapping these up, but where I live now, I see more dual-wheel trucks than hybrids.

Anyway, check out the Leaf.

Nissan Turns Over An Electric Leaf | Autopia | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times
At least it gives you the option to charge with 110V. Albeit twice the charge time.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
If it had a small diesel to extend the range and boasted mpg of 100 or so it would probably sell. I doubt it will go any above a novelty in its present form.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
I don't understand why designers of hybrids and other economically efficient vehicles have to make them so ugly. Anyone who has the slightest bit of passion or liking for automobiles cannot possibly like the way this looks. There are ways to make aerodynamically efficient vehicles without making them look like a blind mind was forced to sculpt them out of cheese with his bare hands.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
good point about putting a diesel in there, or getting them in the US in large numbers. i think we're missing out. as far as looks, i guess the lower end will stick with the "compact car as smug EV appliance" and those of us who want sport will have to shell out for something like a Tesla?

I dunno, I remember seeing the Volt prototype at a car show a while back then frowning at production shots.

I guess it will all sort out..... It's good to see Nissan in the mix though. The more folks making them, the lower the price will go.

BTW, Nissan got a US DOE loan on this one. Ford has lined up for some money on their EV too. As well as others. Most are getting a few billion to put EVs up.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't understand why designers of hybrids and other economically efficient vehicles have to make them so ugly. Anyone who has the slightest bit of passion or liking for automobiles cannot possibly like the way this looks. There are ways to make aerodynamically efficient vehicles without making them look like a blind mind was forced to sculpt them out of cheese with his bare hands.
You didn't like the Honda Insight, either?

Must be some new-age pot smoker California design studio thing.

Seriously, GM tried to pawn off the Pontiac Aztek as a vehicle for hip, yuppie 20-somethings were were outdoorsy types.

Don't ask me.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
You didn't like the Honda Insight, either?

Must be some new-age pot smoker California design studio thing.

Seriously, GM tried to pawn off the Pontiac Aztek as a vehicle for hip, yuppie 20-somethings were were outdoorsy types.

Don't ask me.
I don't like the Prius, Insight, this Leaf thing and a vast majority of econoboxes in general.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
the only hybrid car or truck I like is the tahoe because it looks like a regular truck not a weird styling experiment like most hybrids do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti