Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post

Facebook causes nothing but problems. I did add my mom, though. I was shocked to see her on there, but I never post anything I wouldn't want her or my other family members to see.
Well, Facebook doesn't really cause any problems for me, because I don't use it in anything resembling a dramatic fashion. Just mostly for sharing photos with friends and family from whom I moved away. The whole passive-aggressive status update thing, etc., and the posting of supposedly "shocking" stuff just isn't really where I'm at. So it wouldn't really be a problem, per se, to add my boss, but I don't really see the point. Like I said, she's just likely on there to monitor what goes on with employees, and I've got nothing really to show, in that department. Adding coworkers is fine, as long as they're coworkers I like. I don't add the ones I don't especially like. And, again, there's really nothing much for anybody to see that would cause a problem.

I've been a user of online communities and messageboards from long before facebook, and by this point, I'm pretty much deeply ingrained with the perspective that I don't post ANYTHING publicly if I would have a problem, whatsoever, with pretty much anybody seeing it. If I put it out there, I'm okay with it being seen. If I'm not okay with it being seen, in any regard, I'm not putting it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Facebook causes nothing but problems. I did add my mom, though. I was shocked to see her on there, but I never post anything I wouldn't want her or my other family members to see.
Remember that you can secure everything you post. There is really no need to be worried that someone will see something not intended for them, if you use the available security features.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've been a user of online communities and messageboards from long before facebook, and by this point, I'm pretty much deeply ingrained with the perspective that I don't post ANYTHING publicly if I would have a problem, whatsoever, with pretty much anybody seeing it. If I put it out there, I'm okay with it being seen. If I'm not okay with it being seen, in any regard, I'm not putting it out there.
That's my guideline as well. And one that some people REALLY need to learn.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Remember that you can secure everything you post. There is really no need to be worried that someone will see something not intended for them, if you use the available security features.
Eh, maybe. I always operate under the assumption that there is always the possibility of stuff getting seen by people who don't intend for it to get seen, even with the use of security features.

Consider:

-My sister posts something, and I mention it to my friend, or point it out to her as she reads over my shoulder. Even though my friend is not a facebook friend of my sister's, and even though her privacy settings do not allow for non-friends to read her stuff, my friend just did. Maybe it doesn't cause an issue, but maybe it does, depending on the situation. And anybody can show anybody anything, especially with mobile phone apps.

-Case in point, a guy at my work got fired over something he put up on facebook about work, during working hours...violation of the media and confidentiality policy in a couple of ways. I saw what he wrote...and he wasn't a "friend" of mine. Boss saw what he wrote, and he wasn't a "friend" of hers, either. And he had privacy settings. But privacy settings don't really matter when somebody who CAN see your stuff shares it with others.

It just seems silly to assume that privacy settings are a failsafe against stuff getting seen. People can walk away from shared computers while logged in, people can see things over people's shoulders, people can hack others' accounts, People can cut and paste stuff and e-mail it to others who don't have access, etc. Be smart, people. If it's critically important that something remain private, don't put it out there.

Like a coworker said, during a lengthy debate about this topic at an all-staff meeting regarding the media policy, "Hello! It's called "WRITING SOMETHING ON A WALL," and you guys really think this screams "privacy???"

I had to chuckle. Touche.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,677 times
Hell no.
My facebook is full of drunken college events, films where we do all kinds of crazy stuff like stripping and whatnot, so I keep facebook friends only.
And of course only accepted friends are allowed access to this...
Use the privacy settings correctly, and you'll be fine if you filter who you accept as friends.
I've tried looking at myself by being logged into non-friend accounts of my self etc but didn't manage to see anything.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Also, if I had minor kids I would ABSOLUTELY be monitoring their internet usage. You bet. I'm all for freedom of information, but I also want to see what information they're freely accessing. I'm even bigger on the safety of children...bigger than I am on absolute privacy of children.
I agree with this. My kids are over 18 y.o. so I don't monitor anymore. By that time, they know what they should and shouldn't be doing. Both of my kids are really good kids that I trust. They tell me everything they do anyway, so I don't have to read about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, and I use the features I deem necessary. I guess I should have specified. Facebook doesn't cause problems for me, but it seems to with so many other people.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Hell no.
My facebook is full of drunken college events, films where we do all kinds of crazy stuff like stripping and whatnot, so I keep facebook friends only.
Why put this on the internet? Not snarky, seriously. What is the purpose?

Quote:
And of course only accepted friends are allowed access to this...
Use the privacy settings correctly, and you'll be fine if you filter who you accept as friends.
I've tried looking at myself by being logged into non-friend accounts of my self etc but didn't manage to see anything.
Unless your accepted friends show people who aren't your accepted friends. Just because somebody can't access it from a computer with their own login doesn't mean it'll never get seen except by people on your friend list. Be smart.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, and I use the features I deem necessary. I guess I should have specified. Facebook doesn't cause problems for me, but it seems to with so many other people.
Yep, certainly seems to. But, really, as with so many other things...the true cause of the problem is lack of judgment.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Well, Facebook doesn't really cause any problems for me, because I don't use it in anything resembling a dramatic fashion. Just mostly for sharing photos with friends and family from whom I moved away. The whole passive-aggressive status update thing, etc., and the posting of supposedly "shocking" stuff just isn't really where I'm at. So it wouldn't really be a problem, per se, to add my boss, but I don't really see the point. Like I said, she's just likely on there to monitor what goes on with employees, and I've got nothing really to show, in that department. Adding coworkers is fine, as long as they're coworkers I like. I don't add the ones I don't especially like. And, again, there's really nothing much for anybody to see that would cause a problem.

Same here. Like I said, I'm pretty boring.

Before I post anything, I ask myself if I want a potential employer seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships