Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

A good rule of thumb. Regardless of how many privacy filters you think are protecting you, it's a good frame of mind to work from, even if it's just "what if?"

Discretion is your friend. And, IMO, one of the biggest hazards of facebook and, really all online communication/social media, etc. is that it's helped to foster an environment where discretion can easily go out the window, due to an often false perception of privacy and security. People still make their own choices. Facebook doesn't "make" you be indiscreet. But it does quite a bit to provide opportunities for people who aren't super smart in this way to begin with to really get themselves in a pickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Since I'm too old to have my mouth washed out with soap I would definitely not want to add a parent as a Facebook friend. My sister ended up befriending her son but she told me she feels a little foolish and it and she's not really active anyway. My problem is that I have some very G rated or PG at the most Facebook friends so I always dread it when one of my R rated Facebook friends makes a lewd remark. I'm one of the worst offenders but I only talk like that to those who are foul mouthed like I am.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
"Would you add your parents to your facebook page?"
Absolutely!
I am thinking about putting in one of mom's photos taken just before she married at 26. She's wearing a big smile and bikini bottom only!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,655 times
I accepted my Moms friend request 2 days ago. I just told her not to do anything stupid on my page lol

Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
My mom is not at all interested in social networking. I've added my dad and we swap photos, links to info, that kind of thing. I don't mind him being on my page...like others have said, I don't put anything up on FB that I wouldn't be comfortable with parents/bosses seeing.
Nothing online is really private and there have been too many cases of people getting into trouble about things they put up on social networking sites. Sometimes privacy setting fail when sites get updated, or people get access to the page who aren't supposed to...that's why one must be careful. I don't post compromising photos of myself, and have de-tagged any pics I feel could be used against me at some point. I was reading an article other day about a teacher who got fired for posting photos of her European vacation, because she was holding a beer and some kid's parents saw the photo.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Default from a parents perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I recieved a facebook request from my dad...lol. First i'm surprised he has a page at all and secondly, I'm not sure if I want to accept his invite, but I still love him.
Depends on your age and how you feel about sharing your life.... I was a friend on my daughters page.. then she took me off and I was very hurt. After discussing with her that I didn't care what language or what she posted, she was a young adult. I find that sometimes it is the only way I know what is going on in her life (she is 2 hours away). It keeps me or her from calling too often (which makes her happy). Now my daughter is 20 and she states what is on her mind on her page and there are days... she isn't having such a good one LOL... I was 20 too at one time and probably would have typed much worse... as long as your parents can handle it.. I say go for it.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I also monitor my 12 year old nephew and 17 year old niece on facebook. My sister is their mother and it seems she doesn't log on as often to check up on them as I do. There have been several inappropriate pictures put up as well as inappropriate conversations. You better believe I told my sister about them and they were promptly removed.

To the OP, does this answer your question?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I recieved a facebook request from my dad...lol. First i'm surprised he has a page at all and secondly, I'm not sure if I want to accept his invite, but I still love him.

Hell no..my son isnt even on mine..his gf is tho

Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM

97 posts, read 161,286 times
I am so lucky my mother said she would never add me on Facebook if she had a profile. I am also a 27 year old guy, but my mom knows if I want her to know something I will tell her.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I don't see why your parents shouldn't be your friends.
What kind of a twisted relationship do you have with your parents that they can't be your facebook friends?
If you're worried about what THEY think about your posts, maybe you should reconsider posting that kind of stuff. It doesn't show very good judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships