Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,818 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have this neighbor who is nice, but a pest. Her kids are over all the time, which is totally fine. Today she came over after the kids went to school and was going on and on, about how I got it together and she was so envious of our life and that she never gets to do anything. How appreciative she is for me taking her kids with us on outings and sending over different food items, that I had extra, if they didn't take it I would have thrown them away, it wasn't that big of a deal. I told her thanks, but I'm not really that together and my life isn't that grand and the food was extra. She wouldn't stop, I had to secretly text my husband to call me, so I could tell her I had an important call and send her on her way.
This makes me feel awkward, and it's not the first time she has done this "weirdness".
Not to be telling her what to do, but if her and the husband didn't smoke a pack of cigs a day, each, they might be able to afford a few things. Just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Stop being nice so she can stop being appreciative?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Lol, I'm not going out of my way to be nice. When we go places my kids ask if her kids can come with, sure no problem. When I have extra things I ask her kids if they want to take it home, that sort of thing. I didn't think the mom would go overboard.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM

249 posts, read 803,705 times
Short answer: move.

Longer answer: now that you realize how she is, you need to gently wean her away from your family. This includes finding some more appropriate friends for your children. Think about it. If one of your children grows up and marries the kid from next door, then this woman and her husband will be your in-laws.

I guess you should move now while there is still time.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM

No kidding!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,540 times
Its hard to disengage from needy people. If I was tough enough (mean enough) I wouldn't engage with them to start with! But, now that you're "friends", you'll need to put up a wall. Start small, as you did when you cut her short with the fake emergency phone call (good one!) and move up to, "sorry I can't talk, I'm doing xxx for the kids. If I don't do laundry now, start dinner, go grocery shopping etc.. Then if she doesn't get the hint, start telling her how you sacrificed your wants i.e. cig money or booze for your kids. Hint, hint. Finally, start asking for money to pay for her kids part of the outing. "Its going to cost $8 for the movies, plus snack.Little Suzy needs to bring a dessert to the picnic". Usually moochers will move on when asked to participate.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,787,012 times
It's so hard to deal with these types of neighbors, try to set boundaries. I have similar stories.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,271,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
Short answer: move.

Longer answer: now that you realize how she is, you need to gently wean her away from your family. This includes finding some more appropriate friends for your children. Think about it. If one of your children grows up and marries the kid from next door, then this woman and her husband will be your in-laws.

I guess you should move now while there is still time.
No joke!!

Just have your husband cut down one of her trees or something lol

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM

249 posts, read 803,705 times
Husband, hell, get that chain saw out sister and cut that tree down yourself!

Maybe it will land on the neighbor's house and then she will move away.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,930,290 times
Sounds to me like all's not well in her world, she's a little depressed and is trying to open up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships