Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,986 times

Advertisements

(didn't know where to post this....I'm in need for some wisdom.)

{cue dramatic mystery music}

The Mystery of the Stolen Pillow pillow....pilllow....pillow...

Sometime between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. someone stole a decorative pillow off the settee on my front porch, here on Main Street. I have a really good idea who did it. In fact, he popped into my head the second I leaned back with my morning cup of coffee, and was met with hard wood.

Let's ponder the consequences of retaliation, shall we?

The Facts:

-it is common for Main Street residents to decorate their front porches.

-the pillow was hand quilted by my mother approximately 20 years ago (sentimental value.) It is very flat, not very comfortable...and isn't even that aesthetic.

-the pillow is too big for a raccoon or cat to have carried it off to bed their nursery.

-because of the position of the settee, it can't be seen from the street, but is in direct view of your new neighbor's porch.

-your new neighbor spends just as much time on his porch as you do (a lot; I talk on the phone out there...and if you haven't guessed by now...I'm on the phone a lot.)

-your neighbor moved into his rental with little, if any belongings. It wouldn't surprise you if he's using a sleeping bag in there.

-perhaps he doesn't have a pillow to rest is weary head and reaching over my railing for the quick steal was just too tempting.

Now here is the conundrum:

-I've thought of putting a note on his door that says "return my mother's hand quilted pillow and I'll give you two others." Unsigned...so not to id myself if I'm a bit off. (But I swear he did it!)

-I've thought of putting more comfortable pillows out there with a note to exchange these for the quilted one.

-I've thought of waiting until he is home, knocking on his door and introducing myself as the welcome wagon, his place is that small that I should see the pillow right away.

-or do I cut my loses because I'm a mother and can't risk retaliation, even if he is the one that did it?

The thought of that pillow ending up in the trash dumpster because it's not comfortable, is just down right sad.

I've lived here 7 years and have never had anything taken off my porch. And that is the point...there is a lot of valuable things out there that have never been touched. This person just needed a pillow....and he's the only person that could have seen it and the only person that potentially is down and out enough to need one.

Gentle readers....what do I do? In the mean time, I have printed and tacked a sign facing my neighbor's porch that reads "A clear conscious makes a good pillow. -American proverb"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Ahahahahaha! I'd look for tracks. Any sign in the dirt? Then wander aimlessly over and see if there are any to compare to in his yard.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Ahahahahaha! I'd look for tracks. Any sign in the dirt? Then wander aimlessly over and see if there are any to compare to in his yard.
I wish it was that easy.....tourist town...it's all brick walk. He's really sly...he thinks I haven't noticed him over there. He moved into the "efficiency" apartment of a large Victorian divided into 6 apartments. The efficiency notoriously rents to men down on their luck, just thrown out at home, etc. It's a room with a sink and a commode. I...working in law enforcement...don't anticipate his blinds opening anytime soon...or ever.

In a way this is sort of fun....I'm waiting for him to get home from work, so I can start my surveillance. I'm reading a great book; might have to park myself on my settee this evening with a glass of ice tea and wave to the tourists as they walk by....he'll never suspect, lol.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,206 times
-I've thought of putting a note on his door that says "return my mother's hand quilted pillow and I'll give you two others." Unsigned...so not to id myself if I'm a bit off. (But I swear he did it!)

If you decide to leave the note on his door you should make the note with newspaper clippings.
Or go around the neighborhood and staple up flyers with a picture of the missing pillow with the caption "Have You Seen Me"

Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Bake him a pie. Or brownies. Or cookies, whatever. (Hell, you can buy a box of Entemanns if need be.) Go over to his house. Ring the bell. When he answers the door, try the following:

Hi. I just wanted to bring this (the pie) over by way of saying welcome to the neighborhood. I'm not sure whether you realize it, but I had a pillow taken off my front porch sometime last night...My grandmother hand made it; it has so much sentimental value to me...I'm just wondering, would you by any chance happen to know what happened to it?"

Then I'd wait for his response. If nothing else, you might be able to "pry" it out of him via appealing to his empathy. If he gives up the pillow, I would then wait and leave him a real pillow outside his door. --Because if he took your mother's out of need/necessity, it might be a nice gesture to just give him a "real" pillow. That and the pie would say "No hard feelings."

???

Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post

If you decide to leave the note on his door you should make the note with newspaper clippings.
Or go around the neighborhood and staple up flyers with a picture of the missing pillow with the caption "Have You Seen Me"
Hysterical....that is a great idea!

Or ransom...I could send him a picture of his mountain bike with a gun aimed at it's handle bars...."Turn over my pillow and the bike lives."

Old 10-04-2007, 11:47 AM

LMAO!

Now you have the right idea.......

Old 10-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Bake him a pie. Or brownies. Or cookies, whatever. (Hell, you can buy a box of Entemanns if need be.) Go over to his house. Ring the bell. When he answers the door, try the following:

Hi. I just wanted to bring this (the pie) over by way of saying welcome to the neighborhood. I'm not sure whether you realize it, but I had a pillow stolen off my front porch sometime last night...My grandmother hand made it; it had so much sentimental value to me...I'm just wondering, would you by any chance happen to know what happened to it?"

Then I'd wait for his response. If nothing else, you might be able to "pry" it out of him via appealing to his empathy. If he gives up the pillow, I would then wait and leave him a real pillow outside his door. --Because if he took your mother's out of need/necessity, it might be a nice gesture to just give him a "real" pillow. That and the pie would say "No hard feelings."

???
Also...an excellent idea....

I've since learned that another of the "tenants" over there is in the hospital and the guy's mother is in town, staying in his apartment. What are the chances that mom is a quilting klepto?????

Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Could be, you could always put a pillow out on the lawn attached to a hook and real it in slowly till you feel a tug.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Could be, you could always put a pillow out on the lawn attached to a hook and real it in slowly till you feel a tug.
I just blew coffee out my nose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships