Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times

Advertisements

Or strike up a conversation with the guy...and non-chalantly mention how you had this pillow out on the porch full of fleas (or crabs!). And it disapeared. And how you feel sorry for whoever took it because they will now have fleas (or crabs!). See if he starts scratching and itching! Maybe a little shock or nervousness. Perhaps a sudden oh I gotta go! You could even scratch and itch your own crotch for some effect! Hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Or strike up a conversation with the guy...and non-chalantly mention how you had this pillow out on the porch full of fleas (or crabs!). And it disapeared. And how you feel sorry for whoever took it because they will now have fleas (or crabs!). See if he starts scratching and itching! Maybe a little shock or nervousness. Perhaps a sudden oh I gotta go! You could even scratch and itch your own crotch for some effect! Hehe.
That is hysterical...this thread is starting to resemble Seinfeld!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:41 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
-I've thought of putting a note on his door that says "return my mother's hand quilted pillow and I'll give you two others." Unsigned...so not to id myself if I'm a bit off. (But I swear he did it!)

If you decide to leave the note on his door you should make the note with newspaper clippings.
Or go around the neighborhood and staple up flyers with a picture of the missing pillow with the caption "Have You Seen Me"
That sounds good. Offer and reward and he could buy a blanket too!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I'm sort of scared of the guy at this point. I've decided not to take action for personal safety issues....BUT I'M WATCHING HIM LIKE A HAWK.
Maybe he's watching you you ever think that he took the pillow but maybe thats not all he's up to, looking in the windows, snooping around at night, thinking creepy thoughts, maybe even sleeping under your house, waiting for the right moment. It is october you know.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I'm sort of scared of the guy at this point. I've decided not to take action for personal safety issues....BUT I'M WATCHING HIM LIKE A HAWK.

............like a PILLOW HAWK!

(if there was a such a thing )

Not long ago, we're walking the dogs in our neighborhood, and we notice a nice new-looking wooden garden bench at the curb of one of our neighbor's houses. Wordlessly, we look at each other and telepath "we will pick up that bench up on our way back" .

Well, on the way back, we notice the bench has flowers planted all around it, as if it's supposed to be there, at the end of our neighbor's driveway (on the lawn).

We find this to be odd.......clearly, it's positioned to be taken, in fact, we're having a hard time not taking it ourselves - it's just sitting there, unguarded. It's obvious the neighbor intends it to be a part of their garden though, so we move on.

Within a few nights, the bench is gone - most likely stolen (like my umbrella?!). We're fascinated by this because it's not something we would ever do. Aside from a few potted plants, everything in my front yard is '"tied down" - you certainly would not see a bench sitting on my front lawn that did not have a cable on it's leg .

Call me a cynic, but in this day and age, anything can walk .

I'm still holding out hope for the OP that this pillow surfaces, but sadly, I think it's just a sign of the times that people have little regard for others' personal property .

Old 10-07-2007, 02:45 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Put something else out that he can't resist. Like a nice blanket or something. But drag it through poison ivy or something before you set it out.

Seriously though, it's not worth escalating this. I know the pillow was important to you, but try and give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe someone else did take it. Otherwise things can get real nasty. And there are plenty of real nasty things neighbors can do to each other. Like waiting until he goes on vacation and throwing about a dozen rolled up newspapers on his lawn. You could also get one of George Hayduke's revenge books. You would not believe the things he has in those books.

If you are really concerned about your neighbor go down to your local electronics store and pickup a cheap exterior camera and an environmental housing unit and a cheap VCR. They're really easy to hook up and install and you can do it yourself. That way the next time he takes something you will know who actually did it.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:01 AM

Yes, I'm laying low. Not taking any action at all. I have noticed that since the pillow was taken, he's hasn't been on his porch in 2 days, where as before he was out there all the time.

I really do fear people, overall, always worried about break-ins (which is unheard of in my village neighborhood). The neighbors do look out for each other. I just worry about single men renting little rooms next door.

So for my child's sake, the pillow is bye bye and off living an adventure.

And of course the house is filled with more pillows mom has made over the years.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:28 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

Why not gt a few bed linens that you don't use, go over and introduce yourself and say that you noticed he was sleeping on an air matress and you were wondering if he could use the linens until he had time to go shopping.

Then tell him that a pillow was taken from your porch, mention its sentimental value to you and ask, since he has such a good view of your porch, if, by chance, he had seen anyone around your place.

Just because hes poor and down on his luck doesnt mean he took your pillow. All poor people arent theives. I always try to give people the benift of the doubt. That doesnt mean I wouldnt still be watching tho. Cause obviously there are theives out and about.

I think it would be very nice of you to share with him. I also would relate the story of your pillow and show him pics in case he sees it tossed out someplace. Also ask him to keep an eye on your porch since he has such a good view.. Could be some kids took it as a prank.

And if by chance he took it and thought you wouldnt miss it cause it was old this will give him a chance to say he "found " it.

Oh and dont feel bad about putting out good stuff and losing it. I live out in the country so youd think I could put anything out. Nope. people still theive.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I think you're smart not to escalate it. Even going over and inquiring nicely is drawing attention to yourself.

Is the house next door legally zoned as a rooming house? That would creep me out living so close with a child. I guess you've done the online sex offender search..(disclaimer, I am not suggesting this because the guy is poor, but because it sounds like a transient rental property)

Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Just because hes poor and down on his luck doesn't mean he took your pillow. All poor people aren't thieves. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. That doesn't mean I wouldn't still be watching tho. Cause obviously there are thieves out and about.

I think it would be very nice of you to share with him. I also would relate the story of your pillow and show him pics in case he sees it tossed out someplace. Also ask him to keep an eye on your porch since he has such a good view.. Could be some kids took it as a prank.

And if by chance he took it and thought you wouldn't miss it cause it was old this will give him a chance to say he "found " it.

Oh and dint feel bad about putting out good stuff and losing it. I live out in the country so you'd think I could put anything out. Nope. people still thieve.
For my daughter's sake; I won't be talking to the guy. It's not that he's poor (I myself, have been one paycheck away from living under a bridge), it's that he's transient and male. Initially, I was all about the pillow but having answered 911 calls in a big city for 13 years, I am very biased about personal safety...so I've calmed down about the pillow. Takes one sad call to keep me in line and my priorities and I get that one sad call everyday. 12 hours yesterday and 12 hours today.

So the pillow debacle of 2007 is officially closed, thanks for everyone for participating.

Last edited by MainStreet; 10-07-2007 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships