Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times

Advertisements

ok now that I have cleaned the soda off of the monitor and wipes the tears form laughing so hard
How did I not read this thread well other than I though by the title "New Neighbor Relations" that it was about new neighbors getting busy to much

My hubby even asked what I was laughing about

Here is what I would do in addition to the flyer's love that idea
Knock on his down ans go into the "your new welcome "
then mention being new he might want to keep his eyes out and not put anything outside because
now here is the point where you want to get teary eyed, if you are not the type that can do this on command (a trait I really find amazing) look behind you as if you want to make sure noone is listening then poke yourself in the eye tears will show up.
Then in your teary eyed shaky voice (this is a great effect) explain that someone recently removed a very important pillow from your front porch
and how the pillow was hand quilted by your great grandmother on her long and dangerous journey to start her new life here in the wonderful US of A.
add more teary eyed shaky voice
and wanting to make sure he did not (good time to sniff sniff sigh) suffer the same loss you wanted to bring this to his attention
then you could always again in the shaky voice ask for some water
hopefully this will result in you getting in the apt so you can scope it out for the pillow.

this combined with the flyers
2 things will happen
1. he will feel so bad that your pillow will reappear on your porch
2. he will think ok this person is just not right and will return the pillow out of fear
or yeah just thought of a 3rd
3. he will think is everyone around there is crazy and move so you will never have anything else taken

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,920 times
An update. The pillow was not returned...yet. But I was not too off about him being in there with a sleeping bag; he inflated a big air mattress yesterday.

I'm sort of scared of the guy at this point. I've decided not to take action for personal safety issues....BUT I'M WATCHING HIM LIKE A HAWK.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Here is what I would do in addition to the flyer's love that idea....
You have the right idea. I'd sit outside, waiting for him to come home, then go introduce myself. I'd mention the pillow and how much it meant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I wish it was that easy.....tourist town...it's all brick walk.
I'm not convinced it was this guy. Really, being in a town like that, it could be anyone.

Even though you live in a decent town, why would you put something outside that meant so much to you and couldn't be replaced? I don't leave anything that belonged to my dad out, not even inside my own house.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You have the right idea. I'd sit outside, waiting for him to come home, then go introduce myself. I'd mention the pillow and how much it meant to me.

I'm not convinced it was this guy. Really, being in a town like that, it could be anyone.

Even though you live in a decent town, why would you put something outside that meant so much to you and couldn't be replaced? I don't leave anything that belonged to my dad out, not even inside my own house.
Good point...but this town has virtually no crime. Tourists come and photograph our houses. Everyone decorates their porches and no one has had anything taken. The pillow was worn out and was perfect for outside.

The apartment he rents is 8 feet from my porch and has a high turn around of people who are going through some crisis.

At this point, it's just the principal, I'm not moarning the pillow. I know that whoever it was just lost some major energy.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times
At this point, it's just the principal, I'm not moarning the pillow. I know that whoever it was just lost some major energy.

Well I guess not knowing is better than getting that call to come down and identify the pillow...lol

Old 10-06-2007, 06:21 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Why not gt a few bed linens that you don't use, go over and introduce yourself and say that you noticed he was sleeping on an air matress and you were wondering if he could use the linens until he had time to go shopping.

Then tell him that a pillow was taken from your porch, mention its sentimental value to you and ask, since he has such a good view of your porch, if, by chance, he had seen anyone around your place.

Give him an opportunity to be a hero.

The summer I graduated from HS, my friend and I drove around the country for a few months. We stayed put in a small town in Ohio for a month and went around the neighborhood stealing small carpets, a broom, a mop....then when we left, we returned them to their original spots.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Why not gt a few bed linens that you don't use, go over and introduce yourself and say that you noticed he was sleeping on an air matress and you were wondering if he could use the linens until he had time to go shopping.

Then tell him that a pillow was taken from your porch, mention its sentimental value to you and ask, since he has such a good view of your porch, if, by chance, he had seen anyone around your place.

Give him an opportunity to be a hero.

The summer I graduated from HS, my friend and I drove around the country for a few months. We stayed put in a small town in Ohio for a month and went around the neighborhood stealing small carpets, a broom, a mop....then when we left, we returned them to their original spots.
This reminds me...a bazillion years ago, in college, we lofted our beds and needed a ladder. There was an old orchard ladder that was mounted on the back of a garage. We snatched it every fall and returned it every spring. I doubt they ever missed it.

Maybe the pillow debacle of 2007 is the universe's way of telling me that the pillow will disappear and reappear every time a guy down on his luck moves in without a place to rest his head, lol.

Last edited by MainStreet; 10-06-2007 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
3. he will think is everyone around there is crazy and move so you will never have anything else taken

karla
Karla, I apologize, I missed your post this morning...just found it. You crack me up. I especially like number 3....because, me knowing me, that is not far off what this guy would think.

I work in law enforcement at another agency with an actual crime rate. Last night, at home (no crime, only 2 homicides in over 100 years), I'm out on my porch before I turn in and I hear from across the street, behind the house in the alley, what I believe to be wire snips and a hand saw...and it's completely dark over there. Of course I call the police (after much thought). Usually the area is so quiet, my ears ring from the silence. I just hope I'm not getting paranoid and get a muscle twitch next, lol.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
This reminds me...a bazillion years ago, in college, we lofted our beds and needed a latter. There was an old orchard ladder that was mounted on the back of a garage. We snatched it every fall and returned it every spring. I doubt they ever missed it.

Maybe the pillow debacle of 2007 is the universe's way of telling me that the pillow will disappear and reappear every time a guy down on his luck moves in without a place to rest his head, lol.
Or maybe they did miss it and are still laughing about it anecdotally today. "Hey, remember that old orchard ladder? Every year when school started, it would be stolen and returned at the end of the school year."

That would be so funny if your pillow returned when the guy moved out. What goes around..and all that!

Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
An update. The pillow was not returned...yet. But I was not too off about him being in there with a sleeping bag; he inflated a big air mattress yesterday.

I'm sort of scared of the guy at this point. I've decided not to take action for personal safety issues....BUT I'M WATCHING HIM LIKE A HAWK.
A pillow isn't worth getting hurt over, put an blanket out there and watch it or something else that he might need, if you see him take it then call the police but thats as far as I would go,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships