Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, that's just a stereotype you often hear that small towns are friendly and big cities are rude, unfriendly places. But there is some truth in it. Generally people in big cities are more isolated, inpatient, tense and sometimes rude. They are always in the rush, they walk with purpose, as if there is not enough time. They do not know each others, and tend to live in their own world.
This is a good description...I think this is how I am perceived here in southern Indiana. I don't do it on purpose, I'm just not aware that what I do is different. Sometimes I make an effort to change, to try to blend in, but that effort doesn't last long at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've lived in big cities, I like it. The only problem I have with big cities are the high amounts of liberals. Turning their nose up if you HEAVENFORBID eat meat, or if you are not an atheist.
Big-city meat-loving atheist here ....and I have never been castrated for eating meat. I do rip on religious peeps, though.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Big-city meat-loving atheist here ....and I have never been castrated for eating meat. I do rip on religious peeps, though.
Sounds a lot like me!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
I have lived in big cities my entire life. Miami, Houston, Atlanta. For the most part, I haven't changed, I strike up conversations in the check out line, at the bank, with random people, just being friendly. I have now lived in a smaller town for eight years, and the biggest difference I notice is that now people remember me. We may be in a rush, or not have time for conversation....but we will wave and smile!

I ran into a lady who runs a boutique here in town I like to shop at for gifts on my last trip to Atlanta, (small world) and she knew exactly who I was and commented on my new hair cut! All the tellers at the bank know my name

My impression of a city slicker is one who is used to chain restaurants and stores, used to having big city amenities around the corner ( like Kinkos and ATM machines etc). A person who might be lost or confused when having to be resourceful because the town they are in has limited amenities and resources.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM

235 posts, read 837,338 times
Having come from a small town background, here's how I would define "Big City Attitude" now that I'm in a city...

Cash flash, fast pace, aggression, slick. Now, you don't have to live in a big city to see people who are forever chasing money or who are schemers. It's just that in a big city, it gets raised to a lifestyle. You can see entire neighbourhoods of people who embrace it, and have the same priorities in life.

Cities all seem to get crazier the closer you get to the downtown centre, that's where it's easiest to spot the kind of people that you would never see at all in a small town. The ones who have the expensive suits and the cell phones glued to their heads, making the biggest show of it and talking the loudest, as if cell phones were just invented this morning and not 20 years ago...OK, maybe that's just an Ottawa thing, and other cities have moved on to trendier things now. But, there are also the younger ladder climbers, the entrepreneurs who always turn everything into a networking opportunity, the trust fund babies, the ladies who lunch, the 21 year old drug dealers with the expensive sports cars, and so on. Lots of people with an angle, lots of fast talkers.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Big City + Attitude = Swagger

Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Having been born and raised in a small town of under 10,000 people and then moving to Los Angeles Cal, I was very aware of the attitude projected of " It's all about me" that was eminating from everyone.
That attitude does mellow out when you get married, get a mortgage, and have kids and then you realize that this world is bigger then you and we all have to learn how to coexist on this planet.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
"castigated" You're welcome.

Former Big City Resident

Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,644 times
I am a city snob and I admit it.

I grew up in the Bronx (it was the 'hood or rather the block). Moved to Chicago. Moved to LA. Back in NYC, this time in Manhattan. I gotta say I do not understand why anyone would not want to live in a city. I turn up my nose at the 'burbs and all the excuses about why people NEED to move there. I think that tourists who can't figure out the subway are annoying. I have zero patience for people who think that they need a 4000 sq ft house for a family of 3.

What I get, more often than not, is incredulity at why I would want to be in such an expensive environment when my dollar would "go so much further" in some less dense ville.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I don't know if Arlington VA counts as "city" since it is technically a suburb. But I have a hard attitude you will find in cities. I spent two years in KY and I just could not live with the vibe of not having that city attitude present around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships