Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,742,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think you already know.
Either that, or he enjoys playing Doctor Phil.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 04-01-2012 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,742,972 times
Jude - At the end of the day, you haven't done anything wrong. So, if you really want her to stop making you feel uncomfortable, it's simple. You don't have to change anything your doing. If she wants to talk (in person or on the phone), you listen for as long as you'd like. If she sends you text messages, perfect. Type until your fingers are content. If she ever touches you inappropriately, it's okay. It's not like she's going to rape you. If she starts throwing your FIL under the bus, let her vent. Also, when she says she's hurt, give her a shoulder to cry on. But... and this is all you have to do... SHOW AND TELL YOUR WIFE EVERYTHING - AND WITH DETAILS! If you don't do this, you only have yourself to blame for the consequences, bro. "Hey babe, your mom says I have a nice behind". "Honey, your mom sent me 5 text messages today". "Hey love, your mother is so funny, she said your dad is a jack hole". "Hi my love, I just got off the phone with your mom, again. We talked for 2 hours".

Last edited by Just1Fan; 04-01-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 AM

270 posts, read 410,665 times
I think I'm starting to believe that the OP is just making this up. No one could be that clueless. OP, your mil in needy, clingy, and inappropriate. EVERYTHING you two are doing is wrong: she's crossed the line by flirting with you and YOU crossed the line by allowing her to unload emotionally on you. YOU should NOT be the one to console her, support her, etc. You will get burned. If you cannot see that, you have rocks in your head. Why do you keep asking these ridiculous questions? "Is this a problem?" "How do you deal with these types of women?" We keep screaming at you ... YES, it's all a problem. Deal with it by NOT being alone with her or having those "talks." Keep away from her as much as possible. Clear??

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,233,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
I think I'm starting to believe that the OP is just making this up. No one could be that clueless. OP, your mil in needy, clingy, and inappropriate. EVERYTHING you two are doing is wrong: she's crossed the line by flirting with you and YOU crossed the line by allowing her to unload emotionally on you. YOU should NOT be the one to console her, support her, etc. You will get burned. If you cannot see that, you have rocks in your head. Why do you keep asking these ridiculous questions? "Is this a problem?" "How do you deal with these types of women?" We keep screaming at you ... YES, it's all a problem. Deal with it by NOT being alone with her or having those "talks." Keep away from her as much as possible. Clear??
I am beginning to feel the same way. The OP may be clueless, or he may be too young to understand that some women ARE like this.

Either way, he doesn't sound as if he believes he has a problem. OK, so be it.

Perhaps he is pleased to know that someone is interested in him......

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM

52 posts, read 63,123 times
I'm not clueless, I am just trying to figure out what's the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do in this situation. Also, all the hints are way too subtle and off balance. Sometimes it's a straight inappropriate line, the next it's just a need for some consoling. It's never a straight out, hey I want you. So I never know to be a cold jack ass and ignore her, or to be a nice son in law.

It took me years to break into this family and gain respect, so being a go to guy for someone's problems is a bit flattering compared to the bad treatment I received years ago. But the thin line I am walking on seems like a game of chess.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,295,700 times
I can see where all this is going....

Dear Penthouse.

I never thought I'd write a letter like this. But Nadine, my mother-in-law, is one smoking' hot babe. I mean, I can see where Daphne gets her good looks, because whenever her Mama struts into the room my jalopy ain't floppy any more -- if you get my drift.

On this particular Saturday night....

Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM

270 posts, read 410,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude999 View Post
I'm not clueless, I am just trying to figure out what's the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do in this situation. Also, all the hints are way too subtle and off balance. Sometimes it's a straight inappropriate line, the next it's just a need for some consoling. It's never a straight out, hey I want you. So I never know to be a cold jack ass and ignore her, or to be a nice son in law.

It took me years to break into this family and gain respect, so being a go to guy for someone's problems is a bit flattering compared to the bad treatment I received years ago. But the thin line I am walking on seems like a game of chess.
First of all, you are NOT the person who should be "consoling" your mother in law about her crummy marriage to your father in law! Period. What is so tricky about this?? You should NOT be spending 2 hours on the phone with her about her marital problems. Period. An extraction is in order. Stay out of her marriage (or any other personal) problems.

And for the record, her hints are NOT too subtle. You've completely picked up on them. And given her history (as warned by her own daughters), you KNOW what she's after -- attention at least, sex at worst. So wise up and cool it with the mil. Jeez.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I can see where all this is going....

Dear Penthouse.

I never thought I'd write a letter like this. But Nadine, my mother-in-law, is one smoking' hot babe. I mean, I can see where Daphne gets her good looks, because whenever her Mama struts into the room my jalopy ain't floppy any more -- if you get my drift.

On this particular Saturday night.

She ain't no Bo Derek.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
First of all, you are NOT the person who should be "consoling" your mother in law about her crummy marriage to your father in law! Period. What is so tricky about this?? You should NOT be spending 2 hours on the phone with her about her marital problems. Period. An extraction is in order. Stay out of her marriage (or any other personal) problems.

And for the record, her hints are NOT too subtle. You've completely picked up on them. And given her history (as warned by her own daughters), you KNOW what she's after -- attention at least, sex at worst. So wise up and cool it with the mil. Jeez.
The warning was three years ago. I picked up on them only because they were out of the ordinary.

Everything else, you are 100% right.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,295,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude999 View Post
Well I would really like to know if this whole situation smells like lonely housewife trying to get with her son in law, because if not I really do not want to be rude or dismissive of a person in need. I don't want t to look like I do not care about family. And I do not mean about what she has said before, but this new level of texting me, calling me and wanting to talk a lot.
Good God. Do we have to spell it out to you? Tell your wife while ignoring it yourself. She will handle matters. By the way, ignoring her includes:

1) Ignoring her texts, unless she has a flat tire and needs helping fixing it.
2) NOT having two-hour conversations. I mean, Geez Louise, how did you manage to get sucked into that tar baby of a conversation? How hard could it have been to say, "Nadine, I have to go," and then hang up?
3) If she starts to flirt with you, simply walk away.

There you go. Problem solved. Can we move onto a new post now, rather than examining every single possible facet of this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships