Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,955,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Maybe someone's refrigerator needs replaced, or the dog needs surgery, etc., etc.
I've been in both of those situations, and I just didn't go out to group dinners at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,582,787 times
Basically when the check comes my friends & I will add everything up and divide the total by the number of folks I'm with, calculate the tip (20% minimum), and thank each other for being such great company as we head for the door.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:53 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,750,442 times
That's the way I've always done it, and of course someone always pays a little more, and someone pays a little less, but if the friends love each other, well, everyone tries not to be abusive, and you don't really look at that stuff too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Basically when the check comes my friends & I will add everything up and divide the total by the number of folks I'm with, calculate the tip (20% minimum), and thank each other for being such great company as we head for the door.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,726,636 times
The easiest way is always to carry cash--that way you can pay what you owe, plus whatever tip you want to leave, and give the cash to the person paying with a card.

If that doesn't work, splitting up front is a good way. I usually tip a little extra for that anyway.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,357,430 times
When this has happened to me I always pipe up with, "Let's split the check, but since you had drinks (or steaks or whatever is the most obvious, simply stated overage), why don't you leave the tip?" I've never yet had anyone refuse or dump me from future dinners. I think people know they went over, they just want to avoid the ugly business of doing the math. (Have you ever been with someone who dragged out a calculator, lol.) I do, though, always peek and make sure they left enough of a tip to cover properly and if they didn't, I leave cash on the table under my place. No reason for the server to suffer.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,750,442 times
That is smooth! And no unpleasantness about it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When this has happened to me I always pipe up with, "Let's split the check, but since you had drinks (or steaks or whatever is the most obvious, simply stated overage), why don't you leave the tip?" I've never yet had anyone refuse or dump me from future dinners. I think people know they went over, they just want to avoid the ugly business of doing the math. (Have you ever been with someone who dragged out a calculator, lol.) I do, though, always peek and make sure they left enough of a tip to cover properly and if they didn't, I leave cash on the table under my place. No reason for the server to suffer.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Splitting check etiquette
If I am going to split the check, I pay for the part of the meal that was mine.

[i never do a straight 50/50]

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,955,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
That's too many unwritten rules for me, Tracy.

Imagine me growing up with my mom (the one who set all these rules). And that's only just a small taste!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,699,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I think it is rude to pretend to be oblivious to the fact that your share of the bill might be much larger and pretend yours is an equal share.

I totally disagree with the treatment you gave your coworker.
I agree, people who have real class will speak up and say "oh I had three drinks and an appetizer, I need to pay more".

I was in a situation once where I had a burger and a soft drink, it was about 10 people. The one who ordered several drinks, an appetizer and a steak did a "let's just split the check".

I believe my burger, soft drink, and tip cost me about $50.

That's not right. And in my experience it's always the people who really ran up the bill are the ones eager to split it...LOL.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,371,851 times
I will split with people that i eat out with consistently, like good friends, family or co-workers. I believe in the "everything balances out" principal.

If its a larger group of people, party i'm diplomatic and will voice my concern when the check arrives, whether i order more or less than average; something like "to be fair, should we split or put in what you ate/drank, since some people may have ordered less than others." But in these situations, i'll typically order drinks, apps, etc to hedge my bets anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships