Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
With copying your design ideas, I wonder if copying is the only issue, or, if like me with my recent coworker, it's that you devoted time and effort, and used your creative juices to come up with ideas and someone else helps themselves with no effort required. It feels like stealing.
Without having read all of the responses, I think this is the real issue. It's something I deal with too, OP. It's frustrating because I put a lot of time into designing my house, jewelry, whatever, and people will steal it. Or, they expect me to design their homes/jewelry/whatever for free. It feels like I'm being taken advantage of sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:08 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Without having read all of the responses, I think this is the real issue. It's something I deal with too, OP. It's frustrating because I put a lot of time into designing my house, jewelry, whatever, and people will steal it. Or, they expect me to design their homes/jewelry/whatever for free. It feels like I'm being taken advantage of sometimes.
someone once told me, it is stealing your identity, and it most certainly is.....

Old 02-23-2015, 06:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Have you expressed this to anyone? If I had a neighbor who asked the contractor to do the same thing, I would have said so glad you like it! But, I lke to be original, and honestly it would ruin it for me if you had the exact design.

I had a girl do that to me in high school, drove me nuts. I said something to her, she still copied me. I got to the point if I found something I liked I would let her have first choice.

Not nearly the same as what you have gone through. I would be flattered to an extent, but what you described is nuts.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,575,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
i am glad and happy that you don't mind....however, it isn't about being in the limelight, and it takes me a long time to buy something....or decide how to decorate or what I put on my walls or how I do my gardens...

and the funny part is, I don't steal anyone else's ideas....been told all my life, that I should have been an interior decorator....but when someone goes out and buys the very identical rug I have, which took me a lot of time to find....she had to have her hair cut like mine, I left my hair grow out, she put me down for it, but did the same thing....I mean, it gets really creepy.....and that isn't all of it....

I want things that most people do not have....Not at all into trends....
so don't use me to decorate your home, wear the same clothes, buy the same car, etc....that is a little overboard....

So, while I can understand what your saying, that is a very nice way to be, and I've done so at times, one woman asked me to help her find a bathroom shelf that goes behind her toilet, so I did, and have even bought stuff for people that I've had, and they said they liked it....however, when someone copies you constantly it can really drain you....

I mean she even asked me why I stopped wearing make up and I said, b/c I'm tired of it...and guess what, she stopped wearing make up....

this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, which is above and beyond the norm.

And I haven't even told you half the stuff....
Hey, Listen up folks. I just bought a Red Chevrolet Silverado and asked GM not to make any more Red ones because that would be creepy, and I like to be original. ....If you see mine, and like it, too bad, you can't get one, unless you want to be a creep.

I don't think that any of these people are creepy at all. If some buys a dress like your, what of it? Its not like a Company is going to deliver just one of these to your favorite store so you can be original. I think that maybe its you who is not thinking clearly. Your not talking about anything that can be copyrighted.

One has to use caution when deciding if they want to be "original" since it another word for wanting to be selfish too. And what's "Norm" to you? Not buying a Rug because you found it first? How about the person that may have bought one before you? Maybe it took them longer to find it than it took you. Perhaps your as guilty as for buying the same rug as they did. Or does that only count if you know about it?

What's the limit, in your mind, as to how many things a person should be allowed to have, if they know you and you have the same things?

What would really be sad is that if some one is doing everything you do, they may be looking up to you, and want to be like you, like maybe a role model ,and instead, you think they are a creep. Don't be so full of yourself.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Hey, Listen up folks. I just bought a Red Chevrolet Silverado and asked GM not to make any more Red ones because that would be creepy, and I like to be original. ....If you see mine, and like it, too bad, you can't get one, unless you want to be a creep.

I don't think that any of these people are creepy at all. If some buys a dress like your, what of it? Its not like a Company is going to deliver just one of these to your favorite store so you can be original. I think that maybe its you who is not thinking clearly. Your not talking about anything that can be copyrighted.

One has to use caution when deciding if they want to be "original" since it another word for wanting to be selfish too. And what's "Norm" to you? Not buying a Rug because you found it first? How about the person that may have bought one before you? Maybe it took them longer to find it than it took you. Perhaps your as guilty as for buying the same rug as they did. Or does that only count if you know about it?

What's the limit, in your mind, as to how many things a person should be allowed to have, if they know you and you have the same things?

What would really be sad is that if some one is doing everything you do, they may be looking up to you, and want to be like you, like maybe a role model ,and instead, you think they are a creep. Don't be so full of yourself.
most of us understand what you are saying....no problem....however, if you can't understand someone taking it to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....there is something wrong, YOU should go talk to someone...and she is my neighbor, I don't want to walk in her home and see the same exact things I've bought and decorated with...same color, same pattern, etc.....

Same hair do, exact same garden flags...she opened my refrigerator and started buying almond milk b/c I have it, started making smoothies, b/c I did....and she heard me talking about it with my sister....bought the same top....b/c she found out where I got it....and copied my hair color....that is excessive and going way overboard, and creepy....

and it is people like you who come into threads and get nasty simply b/c you don't agree...signifies, that you copy others....so take your mean spirited comments somewhere else...we can agree to disagree, but you don't have to get so high and mighty and condescend people b/c you disagree....

I wouldn't mind a few things, now and then, but this is ridiculous...and I've known people like this in my lifetime...all women.....it's not a simply thing now and then....and your rug question...yes, of course, others have bought the rug before me and after me....it is a throw rug, very expensive...very thick....she came in my home, liked it and had to have the identicle throw rug....if she would have bought something else, fine, but she has always got to copy me...and that really grinds me....she is unable to be creative on her own, she's got to steal my ideas and identity to accomplish....confidence?

what reason would you have to come into a thread and cause discourse and condisention b/c you disagree, to the point of insulting people? I hold no value in your comments....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-24-2015 at 05:20 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Have you expressed this to anyone? If I had a neighbor who asked the contractor to do the same thing, I would have said so glad you like it! But, I lke to be original, and honestly it would ruin it for me if you had the exact design.

I had a girl do that to me in high school, drove me nuts. I said something to her, she still copied me. I got to the point if I found something I liked I would let her have first choice.

Not nearly the same as what you have gone through. I would be flattered to an extent, but what you described is nuts.
no I didn't say anything, I was new in the neighborhood and was afraid to say something, now, I would, believe me...

Its bad enough these people copy, however, when they make statements like, "I wish I could be you", that is really creepy....or "I envy you, b/c you are not afraid to do things alone, or go anywhere alone".

and yes, I began getting so uneasy everytime I bought something....and she'd come into the house and see it...and she'd say right out...."I want one just like that".

I don't deny that others design their homes so much better then I do...as I have a budget, but I love, gothic, old world decorating...and have been collecting things over the years...I want things that most people don't have...hate trends.....so, when I buy something for my walls, or a piece of furniture, you can bet, I've waited sometimes years, until I find something that is not only different, but fits the decor and the wall....and then she comes over and says, "I want that", and it was everything I did....I mean, imagine, not only letting your hair grow out to copy your neighbor, but getting a hair cut just like hers, and setting your garden up just like hers....my gosh? Crazy! If it had been one or two things, no worries, honestly, but this woman and others that I've had in my life, drove me nuts....it is a sigh of relief to have her gone...honestly.....

Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,955 times
I agree with you...It is VERY creepy and VERY uncomfortable especially at the level this is happening. I have never ever in my 50 plus years been through anything like this before , it's disturbing

Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta55 View Post
I agree with you...It is VERY creepy and VERY uncomfortable especially at the level this is happening. I have never ever in my 50 plus years been through anything like this before , it's disturbing
believe me, I could tell you more....but I'd rather not....she also started calling me at work way to much....I gave her my work number in the event of an emergency....one day, she called me 3 times within a 1/2 hour time span, and when I got upset with her, she yelled at me...because I told her not to do that?

It was awful...one spring I had all the windows open and she was walking her dog...I was on the phone, and she walked up to my window and yelled in at me, really scared me.

she asked very personal questions and would talk about others, and I'd tell her, "that is none of our business". She didn't like that....

and then to top it off, when I tried to talk to her about coping me all the time, she denied it.....plus she would talk horrible about people and then be friends with them....she was just not someone I wanted to be friends with.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,766 times
Quote:
most of us understand what you are saying....no problem....however, if you can't understand someone taking it to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....there is something wrong, YOU should go talk to someone...and she is my neighbor, I don't want to walk in her home and see the same exact things I've bought and decorated with...same color, same pattern, etc.....

Same hair do, exact same garden flags...she opened my refrigerator and started buying almond milk b/c I have it, started making smoothies, b/c I did....and she heard me talking about it with my sister....bought the same top....b/c she found out where I got it....and copied my hair color....that is excessive and going way overboard, and creepy....

and it is people like you who come into threads and get nasty simply b/c you don't agree...signifies, that you copy others....so take your mean spirited comments somewhere else...we can agree to disagree, but you don't have to get so high and mighty and condescend people b/c you disagree....

I wouldn't mind a few things, now and then, but this is ridiculous...and I've known people like this in my lifetime...all women.....it's not a simply thing now and then....and your rug question...yes, of course, others have bought the rug before me and after me....it is a throw rug, very expensive...very thick....she came in my home, liked it and had to have the identicle throw rug....if she would have bought something else, fine, but she has always got to copy me...and that really grinds me....she is unable to be creative on her own, she's got to steal my ideas and identity to accomplish....confidence?

what reason would you have to come into a thread and cause discourse and condisention b/c you disagree, to the point of insulting people? I hold no value in your comments....
She has issues. I was going through the same thing with a co-worker. Thing is, she couldn't stand me but wanted to do everything I did, dress like me. She finally got another job. FINALLY!!!! I feel sorry for the next person she gets fixated on at her new job.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
believe me, I could tell you more....but I'd rather not....she also started calling me at work way to much....I gave her my work number in the event of an emergency....one day, she called me 3 times within a 1/2 hour time span, and when I got upset with her, she yelled at me...because I told her not to do that?

It was awful...one spring I had all the windows open and she was walking her dog...I was on the phone, and she walked up to my window and yelled in at me, really scared me.

she asked very personal questions and would talk about others, and I'd tell her, "that is none of our business". She didn't like that....

and then to top it off, when I tried to talk to her about coping me all the time, she denied it.....plus she would talk horrible about people and then be friends with them....she was just not someone I wanted to be friends with.
She sounds like the girl from Single White Female. Very creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships