Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,940 times

Advertisements

For me, I offer (then insist) on paying. To me its just being courteous and chivalrous. However, when I do pay women usually return the favor by buying me coffee, snacks, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,499,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?
Not me I didn't take them to raise ...
let them go somewhere else and find a sugar daddy.

It's just another way of being a bumb on people ! ! !

Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
For me, I offer (then insist) on paying. To me its just being courteous and chivalrous. However, when I do pay women usually return the favor by buying me coffee, snacks, or whatever.
Please explain this aspect of chivalry to me? Why would a man insist on always buying lunch for female friends or colleagues? Why would you pay for them just because they are female and not for your male colleagues? I'm not being hostile - I'm honestly curious.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,205,009 times
Since the beginning of time.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 18,928 times
I think it is up to you. There is nothing wrong if you split the bill 50/50,especially when a women suggest it. But if it is small bill e.g for coffee you can pay it for woman, it will gain you a certain ... respect even if you are not emotionally involved.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,084,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
But would you really mean it? I have gone out with girls who REALLY MEAN IT and go as far as telling me that if they won’t be allowed to contribute to expenses they’ll simply don’t want to go out again instead of the cute “Ooopsie! you beat me to it *giggles* †I’ve had girls push my hand away to get the tab and pay for it and things like that.
I would expect to pay for myself and would be prepared to do so.

HOWEVER...I go out with my girlfriends and I'll buy a round of drinks and they will pay the food bill or vice versa...or sometimes I'll pick up the tab and the next time we are out they do.

That's kind of how we roll...it would be no different if it were a male friend.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM

11,378 posts, read 9,295,139 times
Quote:
I am talking about a man out with a few friends who are women but the man has no romantic connection with any of them. According to my GF, guys just pay the bill in the company of women regardless of whether they are romantically linked or not...that's just the expectation women have.

For instance when me and a work colleague went to a bar for drinks we split the check 50/50 but if that colleague happened to be a woman I would have to pickup the entire tab?

I have never heard of such a thing and I do not know where my GF got this idea from? What do you think?
You are being scammed.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,010,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
All my guy pals refuse to let me even put down a tip, they have gone as far as prepaying my cab fare home. They say 'your money is no good here'. I try to make it up to them by baking and cooking meals for them that they can pop in the oven, maybe a nice bottle at Christmas.
I have paid women's tabs before even as a friend. I say the same thing or "Save your money!"

If I'm out with multiple friends though, I don't do it unless I invited her to come and I know she doesn't have the cash to pay.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
This sounds like a shakedown. Your gf is wrong. Nothing more to say. Oh, except: don't be a chump. Don't fall for this.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,019,459 times
I've never heard of that...I'm inclined to believe that some women feel that way about a romantic partner but certainly not strangers. The only man that picks up the tab thats not my husband, is my dad. And I don't expect it, but he does so I let him. It's rare anyways.

But I've never heard any woman say that she expects random guys to pick up their expenses...that's C-RAZY. Tell your GF that this is skewed...I'm really just trying to imagine going out to say a bar/restaurant with friends...and then waiting for the male of the group to pay. Can you imagine his surprise?? And disgust?? I think you can safely say she's wrong on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships