Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
OLD thread but restrictions are the same re any Surgery of importance where a person was under or had a Hospital stay.

They will NOT release anyone due to LIABILITY etc.

Someone has to pick the patient up......Family member or Friend and NOT a TAXI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
You bet that's the way he would have left with or without liability. I've had several family members come home by taxi after surgery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Who cares? It's the patient who decides how he/she wants to leave the hospital. No doctor tells me how to live my life.
I was always told that the reason that you have to have a family member or friend drive you home rather than take a taxi is in case you have complications, pass out or die. A friend would act in your best interests but a stranger, who is concentrating on driving a taxi ,wouldn't know or care what to do. You may find yourself just dumped on the side of the road. Probably in a big city, where riding in a cab is typical and maybe the doorman can make sure that you get to the door of your apartment it would be OK.

When I had eye surgery and was still pretty groggy from the anesthetics & pain medication AND had patches over both eyes, the doctors office specifically told my friend to help me inside the house, make sure that I took the pain medicine & antibiotics and go directly to bed (after she drove me home). Not many cab drivers could be trusted with that responsibility. And, some, bull-headed people would probably think that they would be able to drive themselves home even though the anesthetics wouldn't totally wear off for a few hours and both eyes were patched.

It varies on the type of surgery you had and how much time you had after the surgery. I'm sure that in some cases it would be perfectly fine but in other cases the patient could be in danger of relapsing or having complications on the way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,021,459 times
I agree with you, Germaine...it's wise to have someone look after you in those unclear and often painful moments leaving the hospital. I've been fortunate to always have had my husband there.

I would really like to know how the OP's surgery went, if his mom ever found out, how the home nurse option worked out. I know a lot of parents piped in saying they'd be hurt if they weren't told and then started flinging a few other issues at the guy...truth is, he MAY have issues...but I defy anyone to say they don't also have issues. Everyone does...some minor, some major, but still!!

When I was ill, many years ago, my apetite was non-existent. So my sister, who I told repeatedly not to bring anything, would bring whole meals over. I knew she spent a lot of time AND money on it...so I should be grateful and just let her "help" me. But I told her that I couldn't eat any of it, and that my husband was so "nervy" that his stomach was in constant turmoil. We didn't know what the outcome would be, so food wasn't a top priority. I ended up tossing out most of the food from spoilage...which, if she bothered to listen or respect me, would know that I despise wasting food. I worried more about her wasting her money that actually "helping" me. So...if your parent is like that? Sometimes it's best to keep your distance.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 PM

677 posts, read 1,194,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I was always told that the reason that you have to have a family member or friend drive you home rather than take a taxi is in case you have complications, pass out or die. A friend would act in your best interests but a stranger, who is concentrating on driving a taxi ,wouldn't know or care what to do. You may find yourself just dumped on the side of the road. Probably in a big city, where riding in a cab is typical and maybe the doorman can make sure that you get to the door of your apartment it would be OK.

When I had eye surgery and was still pretty groggy from the anesthetics & pain medication AND had patches over both eyes, the doctors office specifically told my friend to help me inside the house, make sure that I took the pain medicine & antibiotics and go directly to bed (after she drove me home). Not many cab drivers could be trusted with that responsibility. And, some, bull-headed people would probably think that they would be able to drive themselves home even though the anesthetics wouldn't totally wear off for a few hours and both eyes were patched.

It varies on the type of surgery you had and how much time you had after the surgery. I'm sure that in some cases it would be perfectly fine but in other cases the patient could be in danger of relapsing or having complications on the way home.
It's none of their business what you do after surgery and how you leave the hospital. What will they do? Grab me by the ear? LOL That would make a nice lawsuit.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,532 times
Don't tell. If you have to wonder about how much trouble it would be to not tell her, instead of thinking about what is best for your health....you have your answer.

My parents are the same. I am 36, but treated like a 17 year old no matter what! I'm even married. My mother tells all my personal things I ask her not to tell too.

I tried to do the right thing REPEATEDLY-I regretted it every time! Now, I take care of me first cause mom clearly will care about gossip and drama first. This is a good loving mother, she just can't let me grow up. So she forces me to either lie or hear her cry-guess which is easier?
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by daniblu; 10-08-2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: More to say

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Good luck one year later, hmmm.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:49 PM

285 posts, read 225,614 times
Loose lips sink ships.

That's my personal motto. I keep many secrets from my parents, just as I keep many secrets from people at work.

When I tell someone something, it's because they need to know what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships