Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,285,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I'll need help to go the toilet,
I've re-thought this.

Hire a nurse. Forget the friend. And forget telling your mother. Show her the stitches the next time you have to see her.

You apparently hate your mother. You have no respect for your father. You want to be "left alone". Greta Garbo Syndrome. But not too alone because you are willing to have your friend leave his home and family for a few days to help you go to the toilet. And you're willing to impose on your brother who has a family and a life. You're personal comfort (not having Mom nag you) is more important than them and their families. No. It's not,

Yep. Hire a nurse and be done with it.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-30-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM

837 posts, read 1,289,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had surgery recently...and really needed the support of my friends. It was far more involved than I anticipated. I suggest you rely on your family. Why? I know if I was your married friend's wife...I would be livid if he was going to help a woman with personal stuff like toileting after surgery....I would shut that down. So...don't put your friend in between a situation like that.
No kidding, I'm a man. If I was a woman, no matter how good friends we were, I would have to out of my mind to ask him such a thing. And he's no ordinary friend, we have known each other since we were 8.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,452,898 times
Okay. Well...every situation is different...I do think you should tell your family though.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,322,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Oh, do you think the OP is a woman.? I assumed he was a male. No way in hell would I
"let" my husband go take care of another woman after surgery!!!!! This is really sick if it is a woman. Incredibly sick and selfish.
Why not? Many women have best friends who are men, so i don't see anything wrong with them helping out their friend if they are ill. I also fail to see how it is selfish unless he/she is guilt tripping the friend into it.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 06-30-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM

837 posts, read 1,289,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've re-thought this.

Hire a nurse. Forget the friend. And forget telling your mother. Show her the stitches the next time you have to see her.

You apparently hate your mother. You have no respect for your father. You want to be "left alone". Greta Garbo Syndrome. But not too alone because you are willing to have your friend leave his home and family for a few days to help you go to the toilet. And you're willing to impose on your brother who has a family and a life. You're personal comfort (not having Mom nag you) is more important than them and their families. No. It's not,

Yep. Hire a nurse and be done with it.
You are going way over the top with your comments. I obviously don't hate my mother, I just know how she's like. I don't have to enjoy every single of her personality just because she's my mother.

My father, well, you don't know him. I don't have to like the man who openly showed he wished I hadn't been born was I was a child. Couldn't care less.

I had thought of hiring a nurse as well but then spoke with friend. Just in case I change my mind, do you know where such services can be acquired?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,285,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You are going way over the top with your comments.

I had thought of hiring a nurse as well but then spoke with friend. Just in case I change my mind, do you know where such services can be acquired?
I don't think I am. (Though I grant you "hate" may be too strong a word.) I'm sorry for any offense given but I was attempting to tell it to you straight and your posts on this thread aren't exactly complimentary toward your parents.

Sorry, can't help with telling you how to get a private nurse. I'd assume there are registries. Good luck. I really do wish you well.

p.s. If don't hate your mother then you might want to take HER feelings into account in all of this. If you think she loves you..... think about her . Not just yourself.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-30-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,978,427 times
Got tired of reading a few posts. Surgery is Surgery be it a minor or major one.

I've had Arthoscopy done on both knees and also Spinal Surgery and was by myself with no major help other then being dropped off and later picked up by a friend.....so whats the big deal?.....maybe a little wimpy on the OP part.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,322,883 times
Look she is your mom, and moms worry. Remember this though, one day you won't have her around to be there and worry for you. Even though that stuff might drive you nuts now you will miss it when she is gone. So basically just suck it up, tell her, and smile through the whole process.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,320,186 times
Tell your mom. But have a plan. Tell her in what specific ways you'd like her help. Be very specific.
Let her visit you once at the hospital. ("I won't want visitors until ____day, so would you please come at ___ o'clock?) Let her visit you once at home. ("Could you come over on ___day? I'd love for you to bring me some _____________.) Do it because it will be important to her. It will be good for you.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 PM

943 posts, read 1,850,793 times
assuming your over 18 and on your own. Momma an dada don't have to know EVERYTHING anymore. unless your still a teenage minor. If you feel they are going to over react about your surgery then tell them after then they will not have to worry over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships